PDA

View Full Version : 550ix Sport at dealer, with wrong trim

bikerboy
10-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I ordered Black/Black with dark walnut. Car is in with aluminum instead of the dark walnut. Not acceptable to me. Really couldn't live with it. Now, waiting to hear the solution to this problem. Any ideas?

brandonw
10-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I would assume replacement trim in the color you originally ordered could easily be gotten in and installed. Should be pretty quick and easy in my mind.

markl53
10-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear that. Question though, did you see the dealer's order printout? What trim did it show? I don't know about replacing all the trim, might have to ask for another car to be ordered and they lend you one their service loaners until yours gets in.

Munich77
10-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Ask them to switch the trim or switch with a car that is on the boat with the options you want.

Based on your post in the other thread - it looks like BMW screwed up. Hopefully they can fix it. Perhaps there is an identical car in the country ordered by someone else with your correct trim.

AntDX316
10-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I think with the sports package it's aluminum trim like the M5. Without the sports package it's an optional dark walnut choice.

kocsis
10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
You can order M sport with Anthracite trim, maybe not dark

bikerboy
10-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Dealers order print out says dark walnut. I had originally asked for the anthracite, but changed it a day later, because I have anthracite on my current car and wanted to change it up a little. Dealer said that what most likely happened is that when anthracite was deleted, the "default" is the aluminum and someone didn't see that dark walnut had been inserted. It then automaticially defaulted to aluminum. Boy, that stuff looks like plastic to me. Dealer says that the trim can be switched out for the dark walnut. The pieces apparently snap in and out (if you know what you're doing). He says that it is something they do if there's damage to a car when it comes in for trade. So far, I've checked with one more source who verifys that this can be done. They'll just have to order the dark walnut from Germany and have it air freighed here. Hope they're right.

quackbury
10-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm sure the dealer can replace the trim, but I would defer taking delivery till it is installed to your satisfaction. Once you title it and drive it off the lot, you have lost any leverage. I also think you should be compensated in some way for your inconvenience - gift certificate to the BMW boutique, car care kit, winter mats, trunk liner, smart phone adapter, whatever.

ihumphrey
10-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm sure the dealer can replace the trim, but I would defer taking delivery till it is installed to your satisfaction. Once you title it and drive it off the lot, you have lost any leverage. I also think you should be compensated in some way for your inconvenience - gift certificate to the BMW boutique, car care kit, winter mats, trunk liner, smart phone adapter, whatever.

Agreed...they should throw something in for you because of the hassle...trim change is no big deal, it does snap in and out easily with the special nonmarking tool.

Munich77
10-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Trims can be swapped out - I know for both the E90 and E60, people constantly switch the trim.

Stealth.Pilot
10-10-2010, 08:12 AM
The trim kit is expensive. I would imagine it is more cost effective for dealer to just get you another car.

Emilner
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
The trim kit is expensive. I would imagine it is more cost effective for dealer to just get you another car.

Unless BMW is paying for it. Sounds like a manufacturing problem, not a dealer ordering one...

dalekressin
10-10-2010, 08:40 AM
A dealer exchange sounds like a reasonable solution.

Needsdecaf
10-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I think with the sports package it's aluminum trim like the M5. Without the sports package it's an optional dark walnut choice.

Nope.

nealh
10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Heed this advice!