PDA

View Full Version : Steering and Handling a Weighty Issue

laser
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
With so much discussion about the F10 handling being different than what has come to be expected from BMW (not like my old E39!) has anyone stepped back to look at what progression with weight and size the 5 series has evolved.

If you miss the handling of your 2001 5'er you might want to take a drive in a new 335.

The 1997 - 2003 E39s weighed in at 3450 lbs on a 111.4" wheelbase.

2011 E90 3 series weighs 3605 lbs with nearly as long a wheelbase at 108.7"

Yes the 3 has become the new 5.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Now for the F10 today.

It looks like 4100 lbs (535i) to 4343 lbs (550i) on a 116.9' wheelbase.

My 2001 E38 740i only weighed 4256 lbs with a shorter wheelbase 115.4 "

I have liked them all - but they are all different and yes the line is gaining weight! (I'm sure none of us has gained any lbs over the past 10 years!)

Maybe why BMW has inserted the 1 series at the light end ...........

Newmanium
10-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter car - but BMW strips out a number of the luxury features from a 3-series. They're noisier, ride isn't as supple, some options aren't available, etc.

I'll never understand why you have to get a bigger car to get more luxury (i.e. quiet, better suspension, tighter build quality). What about the people who want a 7-series setup in a 3-series size? I guess they don't exist, or they like weird cars like the GT.

nealh
10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter car - but BMW strips out a number of the luxury features from a 3-series. They're noisier, ride isn't as supple, some options aren't available, etc.

I'll never understand why you have to get a bigger car to get more luxury (i.e. quiet, better suspension, tighter build quality). What about the people who want a 7-series setup in a 3-series size? I guess they don't exist, or they like weird cars like the GT.
I agree

richschneid
10-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Maybe that's why they are introducing the new 3 series soon. I wanted a smaller and lighter 7 series to replace my 6 series. They gave me what I wanted. Of course, I didn't expect it to have the performance of my E39 M5 thrown in which I am very happy about.

Maybe the new 3 series will have the ride and luxury you are looking for at about the same size as an E39 5 series. Considering what they did to the 5 series it would make a lot of sense that the new 3 will be what you want. The 1 series clearly will replace the 3 series from the same era as the E39. Time marches on. :)

AzNMpower32
10-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I agree.

All the models seem to have grown with each redesign. The 1er is more akin to the old 3er. The 3er is like the old 5er. The 5er is now more flavoured like a 7er. The F25 X3 is an old E53 X5, and the X1 is like the old X3. The current X5 is now the size of a small house.

Perhaps buyers should step "down" with each new iteration if they want the older, smaller feel of their previous models. :dunno:

whoever
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
The rare breed skinny Americans will have to look for M0 soon.