PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

bimluva
10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
So I ordered a 550i xDrive w/ mSport and few other options. In my attempt to save money i left out the cold weather and just ordered the heated front seats. After my order status went to 150, I started to wonder if I have been taking the headlamp washers for granted that I have had on all my previous BMW's(dont really care for heated steering and rear heated). So now I'm kicking myself for trying to save $500 on a 70k+ car. Why is this not even standard on 550? Am I gonna literally have to get out of my car to wipe down my headlights during rain or snow? i never had a car without it so i don't know if it actually helped. BTW i live in NY.

Gold323Ci
10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I doubt you'll ever miss these. Spend that money elsewhere.

markl53
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I did the same as you on my 535i. I never really used the headlight washers, and without a separate switch for them, I found them a nuisance more than a help. I always turned off my headlights very briefly when activating the windshield washers at night so as not to spray cleaner all over my hood. My '02 MB C-Class provided a separate switch for the headlight washers, a very good idea.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-11-2010, 05:23 AM
If you really want these options, BMW should allow you to cancel your order without penalty and then you can order another vehicle. In September, I placed my order for a 535i, which went into production. Three weeks later, the 535i with x drive came out. I was allowed to cancel my order and then I placed a new order for a vehicle with x drive. The only difference in my case was that my representative had mistakenly told me that x drive would not be available for months (thus leading me to order a car without it) when in fact it became available three weeks after my initial order. But, then I contemplated canceling the order for the vehicle with x drive because I was considering getting another model of BMW. I did not cancel the order, however, my representative said it would have been no problem. The bottom line is that you can still get what you want as long as you have time to wait for the production of another vehicle.

pharding
10-11-2010, 05:38 AM
If everyone who had second thoughts about an option cancelled their order, there would be tens of thousands F10s sitting around the factory. BMW is not going to let purchasers cancel orders and reorder as you suggest.

Slaymaster
10-11-2010, 05:51 AM
If you really want these options, BMW should allow you to cancel your order without penalty and then you can order another vehicle. In September, I placed my order for a 535i, which went into production. Three weeks later, the 535i with x drive came out. I was allowed to cancel my order and then I placed a new order for a vehicle with x drive. The only difference in my case was that my representative had mistakenly told me that x drive would not be available for months (thus leading me to order a car without it) when in fact it became available three weeks after my initial order. But, then I contemplated canceling the order for the vehicle with x drive because I was considering getting another model of BMW. I did not cancel the order, however, my representative said it would have been no problem. The bottom line is that you can still get what you want as long as you have time to wait for the production of another vehicle.

More then likely they ordered another car for you and the exsisting order will be delivered as stock for the dealership. No harm done.:thumbup:

quackbury
10-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Note that the folks advising you to skip the headlight washers are from South of the Mason-Dixon line. They may not realize how handy the washers are in dealing with ROAD SALT in our winters. Rain and snow by themselves really don't pose a problem. It's the road salt "crud" that provides the most trouble (and by definition, it happens on those days when you are least likely to want to get out of the car to wipe off your lights).

edspider
10-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I have the washers on my cars for many years. I question whether they really do anything. I can't imagine them really getting snow/ice off or even cleaning the salt that much.

quackbury
10-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I have the washers on my cars for many years. I question whether they really do anything. I can't imagine them really getting snow/ice off or even cleaning the salt that much.

Maybe not in Chicago, but in the Northeast I consider them essential. My kids are ski racers, so every Friday night from mid-December to early April we are slogging to one ski area or another, then back home on Sunday night. When the NH DOT has salted in an ice storm, we invariably arrive home with the entire car salt-colored - except for the headlights and windshield.

Then again, if you don't drive at night, and they don't salt where you live, the headlamp washers may be overkill.

DDL24
10-11-2010, 01:33 PM
What would happen to millions of those owners/drivers who drive lesser cars/trucks which don't have this feature? Do they crash into trees/cars without this feature? I lived in update NY for two years and don't recall seeing drivers to get out of their cars constantly to wipe their cars' headlight at night during storm. My sense is this one of things car manufactures invented to solve a problem not many people had.

Reminded me a story about NASA who spend millions $ to try to invent a pen that one can write upside down in space? why, becasue they had resouces to spent. You know what USSR did back then? they used pencil in space. LOL.

solstice
10-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Headlight cleaning of some type is invaluable when the circumstances calls for it. Having grown up in the dark and snowy parts of Western Europe I know this by experience. Wipers are more effective than sprayers but sprayers beats nothing for sure. Sanding and/or salting of the roads make it even more important due to the extra dirt and slush that gets sprayed onto your lights by vehicles in front of you and meeting vehicles. A large lorry can pretty much cut down your light output to 25% by itself.

nosnoop
10-11-2010, 03:57 PM
What would happen to millions of those owners/drivers who drive lesser cars/trucks which don't have this feature? Do they crash into trees/cars without this feature? I lived in update NY for two years and don't recall seeing drivers to get out of their cars constantly to wipe their cars' headlight at night during storm. My sense is this one of things car manufactures invented to solve a problem not many people had.

You are totally missing the point.
In many countries adhering to the ECE regulations, headlight washers and automatic beam leveling control are mandatory for vehicle equipped with HID/Xenon headlights. The main purpose is to reduce glare to the on coming traffic. Once the headlight is dirty, it would diffract light potentially causing glare.

As usual, US would not have any of this; making it optional, and the manufacturers gladly oblige. And guess what? This and the lax SAE standard result in US having large number of glare complaints.

DDL24
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
You are totally missing the point.
In many countries adhering to the ECE regulations, headlight washers and automatic beam leveling control are mandatory for vehicle equipped with HID/Xenon headlights. The main purpose is to reduce glare to the on coming traffic. Once the headlight is dirty, it would diffract light potentially causing glare.

As usual, US would not have any of this; making it optional, and the manufacturers gladly oblige. And guess what? This and the lax SAE standard result in US having large number of glare complaints.

That maybe the case since lighting/reflector technology have advanced. But i don't recall reading any report that those glaring complaints increase substantially during snow storm at night. glaring complaints about xenon have been out since xenon have been out. Regardless, my point is to comfort the OP that it's not end of the world that he didn't opt for the headlight spray.

brandonw
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I know how you feel in the sense of not getting an option. I didn't get the sport transmission/paddle shifter option to save $500. But, at the same, I didn't understand what the option really was. I thought it was just the paddle shifters. After being reading about i more and more, now being after-the-fact, I wonder will I really want that option. Though, many have said I wont miss it if I don't have it.

Certianly headlamp washers are more functional then sport transmission, get weigh how much you really NEED it and decide it that one thing is reason enough to change to another production slot that is still changeable.

bklyn550
10-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Doesn't thr extra 500 also include heated steering wheel? If so thats well worth it in winter i had it in my 06 lost in 08 boy did i miss that on cold winters day

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-11-2010, 08:12 PM
More then likely they ordered another car for you and the exsisting order will be delivered as stock for the dealership. No harm done.:thumbup:

Yes. This is what they did and what they told me. Now my 535xi is at the preparation center and I am eagerly waiting for its transport to the dealer.

bimluva
10-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Of course after leasing the last three I am purchasing this one and my lease is expiring soon so I can't and don't want to wait any longer by reordering just for headlamp washers. I'm still ticked that a $70k car does not have this standard. Oh well, I guess I can buy $500 worth of windex...JK.Anyone else in NY not get the cold weather pkge???Make me feel better.....

quackbury
10-13-2010, 08:57 AM
@ bimluva: Remember that BMWFS will let you extend your lease if you have another BMW on order. If you really want the headlamp washers, that may be an option worth considering.

FPNY
10-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Of course after leasing the last three I am purchasing this one and my lease is expiring soon so I can't and don't want to wait any longer by reordering just for headlamp washers. I'm still ticked that a $70k car does not have this standard. Oh well, I guess I can buy $500 worth of windex...JK.Anyone else in NY not get the cold weather pkge???Make me feel better.....

im in ny and i didnt order the cold weather package, I might miss the heated steering wheel and headlight washers, but to pay for those two items when the heated seats were included in premuim packages didn't make any sense to me. I brought this up to my salesman, he didnt offer any discount on the package, so i opted not to get it.

AntDX316
10-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I think the 2011 headlight washers are more sophisticated than the previous generation to be reasonable enough for them to charge $500 for you to have the option.

bimluva
10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, thanks for cheering me up!