PDA

View Full Version : Navigation instructions on dashboard display?

xsi123
10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Does the navigation instructions (like the arrows, distance etc...) show up in the small display in the dashboard? I was thinking that heads-up display might not be worth it if you can get the same info on dashboard display. Any pictures? What do you think?

melor
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I am going to add on a follow up question. Does the dashboard display music info like track or artist name? My wife's MB does this and I love the feature.

Paul

laser
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
yes and yes

edspider
10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
ditto. And it's colorful and pleasing to the eye. I think the Benz is just one color.

quackbury
10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
And in Asian markets they offer the Karioke version where lyrics scroll across the iDrive......

markl53
10-11-2010, 01:14 PM
When guidance is enabled, there are a couple of additional "positions" when you scroll through the center dash display. One is the number of miles to destination, another is current time and ETA, and the 3rd is the arrow display. I find this convenient because on my Nav split screen, I normally have content set to entertainment info, not the Nav arrow display. BTW, in split screen mode, when you arrive at a major highway exit or split in the lanes, a lane departure image will appear to show a depiction of your exit -- pretty cool IMO.

The attached pictures are not that great, I was holding my BlackBerry in one hand grabbing a couple of quick images. The 1st shows the arrow display where it shows multiple lanes with white arrows in the lanes you should choose. The 2nd is that exit depiction that pops up on the split screen, the 3rd is the arrow display on the split screen (normally I don't set it for this).

markl53
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I am going to add on a follow up question. Does the dashboard display music info like track or artist name? My wife's MB does this and I love the feature.

Paul

The central (Nav) screen shows artist, album and track title on the split screen. The smaller dash display (between speedo and tach) shows only the list of tracks that you can scroll through

Needsdecaf
10-11-2010, 05:49 PM
When guidance is enabled, there are a couple of additional "positions" when you scroll through the center dash display. One is the number of miles to destination, another is current time and ETA, and the 3rd is the arrow display. I find this convenient because on my Nav split screen, I normally have content set to entertainment info, not the Nav arrow display. BTW, in split screen mode, when you arrive at a major highway exit or split in the lanes, a lane departure image will appear to show a depiction of your exit -- pretty cool IMO.

The attached pictures are not that great, I was holding my BlackBerry in one hand grabbing a couple of quick images. The 1st shows the arrow display where it shows multiple lanes with white arrows in the lanes you should choose. The 2nd is that exit depiction that pops up on the split screen, the 3rd is the arrow display on the split screen (normally I don't set it for this).

Bwahahahaha what a surprise, traffic on 495 and the 270 spurs. LOLZ.

Going to go try a 528 up in Silver Spring on Wednesday.

markl53
10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Bwahahahaha what a surprise, traffic on 495 and the 270 spurs. LOLZ.

Going to go try a 528 up in Silver Spring on Wednesday.

Yeah, it's getting worse. I work in Alexandria (yech) and morning commute wasn't so bad for quite a while. Now with some construction, it's taking at least 1 hour instead of 50 minutes. On the way home, much worse. I've started taking Metro about twice a week, sometimes on bad weather days (worst traffic days). I need to keep the mileage on my new 535i lower than what happened on my previous 335i.

Have you been to VOB in Rockville? I've bought 3 BMW's there and know some people there. I worked with a very helpful and friendly person this time -- PM me if you would like more info. Good luck seeing the 528i.

Needsdecaf
10-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah, it's getting worse. I work in Alexandria (yech) and morning commute wasn't so bad for quite a while. Now with some construction, it's taking at least 1 hour instead of 50 minutes. On the way home, much worse. I've started taking Metro about twice a week, sometimes on bad weather days (worst traffic days). I need to keep the mileage on my new 535i lower than what happened on my previous 335i.

Have you been to VOB in Rockville? I've bought 3 BMW's there and know some people there. I worked with a very helpful and friendly person this time -- PM me if you would like more info. Good luck seeing the 528i.

I have not been to VOB in Rockville yet. Right now I'm just trying to decide what to do....F10 528, 535 or keep looking for the "perfect" E61. Or, something else. I'm looking to make a move next April / May. However, Silver Spring has a 528 equipped pretty much how I'd order it, except for colors and a couple of misc. items. I want to see if it'll be enough oomph for me. The 528 loses a second off the line but is within 0.2 seconds 30-50 and 0.5 seconds 50-70 so it would SEEM like it would be a decent performer. But I like torque, so who knows.

When it comes to buy, you can be sure I'll be shopping all the local dealers. My office is literally 1/2 mile from BMW Fairfax so if they give me a good price, I'd rather go there since that's where I'd do servicing. I know it doesn't matter but all things being equal.

We shall see.

Yeah, your commute sucks pretty bad. We've got a couple of properties down in that area and I try to avoid them at commuting time if I can!

Diver624
10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm about to order a 550i X drive to replace my Audi S5 and have a nav. question. One feature I like my my audi's Nav. system is when your coming to a turn the screen automatically zooms in so you see exactly where to turn unlike my 2010 BMW X5 which does not have this feature. Is the 2011 system in the 5 series different than the 2010 version or do you still just get the split screen which is not really a zoom. The center photo above shows a zoom view on the small screen when entering a highway, does the system do this when approaching a turn as well? When you have a split screen with the map on the main screen and music info. on the small screen what happens when you approach a turn, does the small screen switch to a zoomed Nav. image or does it keep showing the music info.?

markl53
10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm about to order a 550i X drive to replace my Audi S5 and have a nav. question. One feature I like my my audi's Nav. system is when your coming to a turn the screen automatically zooms in so you see exactly where to turn unlike my 2010 BMW X5 which does not have this feature. Is the 2011 system in the 5 series different than the 2010 version or do you still just get the split screen which is not really a zoom. The center photo above shows a zoom view on the small screen when entering a highway, does the system do this when approaching a turn as well? When you have a split screen with the map on the main screen and music info. on the small screen what happens when you approach a turn, does the small screen switch to a zoomed Nav. image or does it keep showing the music info.?

The split screen does not change for every "regular" turn. It only pops up for highway exits and what I call "major" highway splits, where a section of lanes divide in different directions. Otherwise the split screen content remains as you have it specified. You do have the arrow display in the center dash though -- do you need to see a depiction of every turn?

pharding
10-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I highly recommend HUD. It places the information in the optimal position and is very easy to read.

quackbury
10-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I highly recommend HUD. It places the information in the optimal position and is very easy to read.

Depends on whether you want to give up your polarized glasses. The 550 I test drove had HUD and I could not read a damn thing without taking my sunglasses off. Fail.

Diver624
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
The split screen does not change for every "regular" turn. It only pops up for highway exits and what I call "major" highway splits, where a section of lanes divide in different directions. Otherwise the split screen content remains as you have it specified. You do have the arrow display in the center dash though -- do you need to see a depiction of every turn?

Thanks for the info., I don't "need" every turn depicted but it's nice when there are closely spaced streets to see exactly where you are so you turn on the right street, it's just a feature I got used to and like on the Audi. You would use it the same way BMW zooms for as you say "major" highway splits but for every turn and then after you make the turn the screen scales back.
Other than my X5 I've had Audi's for the last 12 years and the new 5 series sedan just blew me away, can't wait to take delivery.

laser
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
I like to "zoom" the street view map as well, pretty easy with the I drive as you just twirl counter clockwise to zoom in and clockwise to go back out

Needsdecaf
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Depends on whether you want to give up your polarized glasses. The 550 I test drove had HUD and I could not read a damn thing without taking my sunglasses off. Fail.

Same here, in both E60 and F10 version.

Wearing Revo polarized glasses.

smhoer
10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
I would not consider the polarized glasses issue as a design flaw. The HUD is projecting the data on the window as a reflection. Polarized lenses are designed to eliminate reflections. Photographic polarizing filters are adjustable in case you want some reflection. Sun glasses are not. Thus your ability to view the HUD is based on the strength of polarization in your glasses. This is the reason pilots do not wear polarized glasses.