PDA

View Full Version : Help with colors...Carbon Black Metallic

xsi123
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Anyone with the Carbon Black Metallic? Looking on my computer it looks like more of a dark blue than black... Can you comment?

I prefer the Black Sapphire Metallic but unfortunately you can not select it with the M Sport package.

SARAFIL
10-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Anyone with the Carbon Black Metallic? Looking on my computer it looks like more of a dark blue than black... Can you comment?

I prefer the Black Sapphire Metallic but unfortunately you can not select it with the M Sport package.

As the name implies, it is similar to the color of carbon paper. It is black with a dark blue metallic effect. The dark blue metallic is much more pronounced than the metallic effect on other colors, so it does look like a dark blue in many light conditions.

bikerboy
10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I have Carbon Black on my 08 550 Sport. It is the color of "carbon paper" if you remember or know what that color is. Hasn't been aroung in a while. In the bright sunlight it is a dark blue metallic with a lot of metallic shine. On a cloudy day, at night or in your garage it looks black. When I was discussing my current order of a 550ix with my partner at the office, he asked me what color I ordered. I told him Jet Black. He said "another black car?" I told him my current car was a dark blue/black. He thought I was kidding him. He's ridden in it a bunch of times. My wife has always thought the car was "a black car." So there you have it. It's a striking color. I prefer it to Black Sapphire, which to me looks like Jet Black with dust on it.

bikerboy
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing, you won't see yourself "coming and going" like all the rest of the colors. It's specifically for that model. I've only seen one other. Only reason I didn't order it again is that I've had it for 3 years and wanted a little change. Not much, since the new one is Jet Black.

B-1 Pilot
10-11-2010, 06:32 PM
FWIW, went to a BMW dealership this weekend and they Hd and E60 (2010) in Carbon Black right next to a new F10 in Imperial blue metallic... neither me not my lady could really notice the difference. The carbon black on teh E60 didnt seem as dark as I remembered it.

On another note, the dealer told me that the configuration on line was limited and that he could in fact get a black sapphire car with the M-sport package -- and that he had just ordered one for someone else... that made my day -- I really do think the car looks best in black and metallic black

melor
10-11-2010, 07:27 PM
The color is a very dark blue. It is striking. This is likely the color I will buy, if I get up the nerve to buy a dark color that is. I tend to buy easy colors to maintain, but if I go dark this or the dark gray are the one's I would consider.

Paul

markl53
10-11-2010, 07:28 PM
FWIW, went to a BMW dealership this weekend and they Hd and E60 (2010) in Carbon Black right next to a new F10 in Imperial blue metallic... neither me not my lady could really notice the difference. The carbon black on teh E60 didnt seem as dark as I remembered it.

On another note, the dealer told me that the configuration on line was limited and that he could in fact get a black sapphire car with the M-sport package -- and that he had just ordered one for someone else... that made my day -- I really do think the car looks best in black and metallic black

You sure that E60 was carbon black? When I've seen Carbon it is so dark, it is nearly black. Imperial is dark but definitely blue. Interesting.

Huncowboy
10-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Go look for some pictures in the 7 forum they sell the carbon there must be some. The color is indeed a deep blue, almost black. In certain light it looks black. Very nice. I like it over the sapphire now. The computer picture on bmwusa is horrible. It is nothing like that.

Eirerogue
10-11-2010, 08:27 PM
B1...Interesting if your dealer can do what others could not....Black Sapphire is not available in M Sport. Carbon is an option, as is Jet Black. I ordered Jet.

Not 'on-line', but BMW Order System says no.

kenhamm
10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I would order Carbon Black every single time, it is unique, it is like having a car in 2 different colors and as mentioned above, it is exclusive to the M-sport. I only wish I could have waited to get my F10 so I could have ordered the m-sport.

B-1 Pilot
10-11-2010, 08:54 PM
You sure that E60 was carbon black? When I've seen Carbon it is so dark, it is nearly black. Imperial is dark but definitely blue. Interesting.

TBH honest, I came about 2 days away from buying a carbon black E60 about two years ago, but then I got sent overseas... that one was much, much darker than the one I saw yesterday. I even asked, but all I got was usual dealership bluster that no it was carbon black and we should be able to see the difference.

My first experience with the color was that it was black from about 20 feet, and the inky blue metallic came out on the edges of the car in sunlight

B1...Interesting if your dealer can do what others could not....Black Sapphire is not available in M Sport. Carbon is an option, as is Jet Black. I ordered Jet.

Not 'on-line', but BMW Order System says no.

we will see what happens with me when the rubber meets the road... he said it, I argued what you are saying, and he claimed there was a workaround. Im not ordering till at least spring and after I've test driven the 550ix so I didnt fight him on it. I figured I could turn his eating of his words into negotiating power later on if he was wrong

jimefam
10-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I saw a 7 series a few days ago in carbon black at the dealer and it looked super blue no black at all. But it was very sunny in Atlanta that day. Still I was disappointed as I remembered it being more black than blue.

pmw103
10-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Carbon Black F10
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441723

pharding
10-12-2010, 01:44 AM
It all depends on the lighting. Carbon Black is my favorite BMW color. My last E60 was Carbon Black and it was spectacular. I never grew tired of it. I highly recommend it.