PDA

View Full Version : Switching RFT to Normal - Any issues?

1HOT BMR
10-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm planning on replacing the OEM RFTs to normal PS2s or PZeros when they wear out, show bubbles on the side, or one becomes unrepairable for another reason. I have read that people have had issues like electronic warnings and gremlins in the low pressure warning system when switching to normal tires.

Question:

Has anyone done the switch on a new F10? If so, have you had any computer problems attributed to the switch?
Apparently BMW claims that the switch to normal tires may have an adverse effect on handling because the car was developed to run on RFTs. Any truth to that?

dunccfp
10-12-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm planning on replacing the OEM RFTs to normal PS2s or PZeros when they wear out, show bubbles on the side, or one becomes unrepairable for another reason. I have read that people have had issues like electronic warnings and gremlins in the low pressure warning system when switching to normal tires.

Question:

Has anyone done the switch on a new F10? If so, have you had any computer problems attributed to the switch?
Apparently BMW claims that the switch to normal tires may have an adverse effect on handling because the car was developed to run on RFTs. Any truth to that?

I did the switch right off the bat. I do heavy mileage and not having a spare is not acceptable. There have been no problems whatsoever. The bought a rim at tirerack for $80 and I used one RFT as a spare and stored the other 3 RFT's to use when I turn the car in. I may run them next spring. I bought the conti DWS all weather tires and they are great. Better wear and much better (top rated) in the wet and obviously better in the cold / snow. I drove my car and an identical car from the dealer back to back and actually the rft's were squeeling on the cloverleaf when I was doing 45mph and the conti's were quiet as a church mouse. I'd say the conti's were better in the dry too.

That's it...

1HOT BMR
10-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I did the switch right off the bat. I do heavy mileage and not having a spare is not acceptable. There have been no problems whatsoever. The bought a rim at tirerack for $80 and I used one RFT as a spare and stored the other 3 RFT's to use when I turn the car in. I may run them next spring. I bought the conti DWS all weather tires and they are great. Better wear and much better (top rated) in the wet and obviously better in the cold / snow. I drove my car and an identical car from the dealer back to back and actually the rft's were squeeling on the cloverleaf when I was doing 45mph and the conti's were quiet as a church mouse. I'd say the conti's were better in the dry too.

That's it...

Thank you!

This is exactly what I needed to hear to stop me from reconsidering the whole purchase of the new F10. All day yesterday I was reading spooky comments about the electronic gremlins encountered by some with the replacement of the RFTs with normal tires. Those comments were made by people who owned 3 series and E60 with RFTs. I keep my cars for a long time and living with RFTs for the life of the car is just not acceptable to me. The Contis sound great too. Have you noticed any difference in the ride and general handling of the car? Steering feel? Tramlining of the tires? When I contacted Tire Rack they told me they have rims but not the space saver rim - yours must be the regular rim to mount the RFT on it. Do you have the part number for that spare rim you got? Are you aware of any space saver rims that might fit the F10? Also, what jack did you get to install the spare?

dunccfp
10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Thank you!

This is exactly what I needed to hear to stop me from reconsidering the whole purchase of the new F10. All day yesterday I was reading spooky comments about the electronic gremlins encountered by some with the replacement of the RFTs with normal tires. Those comments were made by people who owned 3 series and E60 with RFTs. I keep my cars for a long time and living with RFTs for the life of the car is just not acceptable to me. The Contis sound great too. Have you noticed any difference in the ride and general handling of the car? Steering feel? Tramlining of the tires? When I contacted Tire Rack they told me they have rims but not the space saver rim - yours must be the regular rim to mount the RFT on it. Do you have the part number for that spare rim you got? Are you aware of any space saver rims that might fit the F10? Also, what jack did you get to install the spare?

The car drives exactly the same - I drove them back to back. Just call tire rack and they will get you the right size. As far as the jack I bought the kit for the E60 (no jack for the F10) crazy. Full tire in the trunk...ok for me but not a good thing for alot of people.

jimefam
10-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Just get a mobility kit.