PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting iPod/USB interface

jck1974
10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I have an F10 that does not have the iPod/USB interface (6FL) already installed in the center armrest. Is it possible to install this part after market, either in the armrest or in the glove box? The issue really seems to be stumping my dealer.

markl53
10-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Do you have the Nav system? I missed ordering the USB connector because my car went to production so fast. If you have Nav, did you know you can upload your iPod (or CD's, etc) to the internal hard drive as your "music collection"? Then you can scroll through the individual tracks and control everything through the idrive just as though you had the USB connector. You can't upload directly from the iPod, you need to move your iTunes library to a USB device. There is a USB connector in the glove compartment to interface with the internal drive.

jck1974
10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I do, but I don't want to use the USB connector. I don't like Gracenote and I'd rather keep my playlists and functionality of the iPod if I can. The dealer seems to think they can only install a snap-in adaptor, but I'm not sure if a snap-in will work if the iPod/USB interface isn't already installed in the armrest.

tadtaggert
10-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I do, but I don't want to use the USB connector. I don't like Gracenote and I'd rather keep my playlists and functionality of the iPod if I can. The dealer seems to think they can only install a snap-in adaptor, but I'm not sure if a snap-in will work if the iPod/USB interface isn't already installed in the armrest.

I would expect that they can retrofit it, I had similar done on a 335i 3-4 years back, wasn't cheap but they were able to do so in that case.

jck1974
10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Now the dealer is telling me it's impossible to do. Since it's an available, non-standard option, I don't understand why.

BlackBerryCubed
10-12-2010, 12:11 PM
why did you not order it in the first place ???? This is why you should get everything included when buying the cat so later on you don't have to go through the headaches like this.

jck1974
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
The car was a special order by someone else that fell through. The dealer I bought it from told me it was technically feasible to install the part, so I bought the car. Now they're saying they can't do it.

darenriley
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I was about to buy a 2011 5 series from a dealer this week and ran into the same problem as the iPod connectivity wasn't built in. They said it costs $830 to retrofit the last generation 5 series but the 2011 5 series doesn't have a retrofit kit yet. They don't know if one will be available.

Their options were to try bluetooth audio streaming or load songs onto the hard drive but neither sound ideal to me.

Did you have any luck finding a retrofit for your 2011 5 series?

jck1974
02-09-2011, 11:36 AM
No. Because it's not a standard option, my dealer feels pretty confident that a retrofit kit will be available for the F10 sometime in the near future. I've just been using the aux port and an iPod remote. Not ideal. Although I wish I had known about the part not being available, I still would have bought the car. I absolutely love it.

darenriley
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
On BMW's International website (www.bmw.com) I was able to find the USB audio interface as an accessory that takes 2 hours to install for the 5 Series built since March of 2010. The page is in flash so I can't copy the hyperlink but it can be found by clicking on Original BMW Accessories / Accessory Finder / 5 Series Sedan from 03/10 / Communications & information / All products. Hopefully this means it is being developed or will soon be available for the US. I have attached a screen shot.

jck1974
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Apparently, that part isn't actually compatible. My dealer ordered it and tried to install it because the specs and installation materials say that it will work, but it doesn't. At least that's what I was told.