PDA

View Full Version : Not many BMW forums discuss about the new F10 model

CarBrain
10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I have found (from google-ling) that about only 3 BMW forums (including this one) have F10 discussions. Other forums talk mainly about other older models of the 5-series.

I wonder why other forums don't talk much about the F10. I know it is fairly new but BMW enthusiast would certainly want to talk about it.

TJPark01
10-12-2010, 04:47 PM
probably a confluence of several factors.
-Too new, making it a narrow audience.
-Expensive, making barriers to entry harder
-Financing and leasing probably harder now that they check to see if you have a job and stellar credit, before it was just a pulse.
-BMW fanatics don't like this car. Too big,heavy,shares 7 series parts, this is an old man's car.

CarBrain
10-12-2010, 07:57 PM
-BMW fanatics don't like this car. Too big,heavy,shares 7 series parts, this is an old man's car.

That's funny. I am 41 y.o. and I chose not to buy the 7 series because I thought that it is an old man's car and it is too big.
On the other hand, I thought that the 3 series is too small and is for the younger crowd who are in their late twenties and early thirties.

I thought, (like Goldilocks) that the F10 5 series is "just right."

enigma
10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
-Financing and leasing probably harder now that they check to see if you have a job and stellar credit, before it was just a pulse.

Your last point is probably the primary reason.

The M3 and the likes are equally expensive, but there is a lot more discussion going on these models.

When the e60 came out, there were people who passionately hated it for the design (like any other Bangle-ized cars), but I don't remember getting this much controversy over the way it drove.

Or it could be my selective memory.

nosnoop
10-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Your last point is probably the primary reason.
The M3 and the likes are equally expensive, but there is a lot more discussion going on these models.

I think it is just a simple mathematics of scale and volume.
3 series is a much larger volume sellers..... And old models have many more existing users than just released new model.
more users = more forum members = more forum discussions.

enigma
10-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I think it is just a simple mathematics of scale and volume.
3 series is a much larger volume sellers..... And old models have many more existing users than just released new model.
more users = more forum members = more forum discussions.

I don't know how made the leap from the M3 (more enthusiast focused and less volume than the 5er) to the general 3-series.

There is no denying that the sales volume influences both the user base and message counts. However, I contend that certain enthusiast-focused models, despite low production numbers, get more user traffic due to the types of owners each model attracts.

An extreme example is the Z4 (e89) community vs. 7er (F01). The F01 clearly has the user base advantage, but if you look at zpost vs. 7post, you'll see many times more posts on zpost.

Here're the recent sales numbers broken down per series (note the M models are not listed separately) for the reference:

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-january-2010-sales.jpg

2008550I
10-14-2010, 12:27 AM

I guess I'm an old man then. :cry: Funny how many 20-somethings compliment on it though.....

TJPark01
10-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I guess I'm an old man then. :cry: Funny how many 20-somethings compliment on it though.....

That's cool, I fart dust too, I've come to terms with it.