PDA

View Full Version : Guys with 2 amps, Input question

turbo38sfi
12-30-2003, 05:23 PM
I am still planning out my system, I want to retain the stock head unit. I am going to go w/a 500/1 JL amp and another amp for my fronts (MB Q Series) either a 300/2 or 450/4 if I decide to do rear speakers...SO, my question is. What are you using for inputs into the amp that would power the subs?? I plan on breaking out the wires like in Williams post and going into the amp directly w/no VEN4 adapter.

TIA,
Joe

BillP
01-01-2004, 11:17 PM
What are you using for inputs into the amp that would power the subs??

I have the 500/1 and 300/4 and have a rather unique wiring setup. My two front channels feed the amp that powers the four main speakers and the two rear channels feed the sub amp.

Huh?

OK, more explanation. I have Diamond Audio speakers which have a RAF feature, or Rear Audio Fill. This takes the signal for the fronts and also sends it to the rears at a lower level, for me it is set at -10dB (half volume). FYI - I have my 300/4 bridged to 150x2 rather than 75x4 in this configuration. No Ven4 or any other hi/lo converters are used.

This allowed me to use the rear head unit signal for the sub so my fader control is now the sub level control - very stealthy. It does mean that my true front/rear fade is fixed, but that's no biggie for me.

A more traditional approach is to use Y adapters off of the front signals.

Bill