PDA

View Full Version : Removing badges from vehicle after delivery?

swim4519
10-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Since it isn't possible to custom order a vehicle in the states with the badges removed, can they be removed post delivery in the states?

Has anyone had any luck in doing this? I am looking to remove the "5" series on the rear as well as the "xdrive" on the left and right side next to the front wheel wells.

Thanks in advance.

B-1 Pilot
10-13-2010, 08:02 AM
The dealer should be able to do this for you before you take delivery... I just tell them I want it done, as if this is a natural request, and have always been accommodated. This way they have the liability to be careful and will polish the area underneath so that your new car looks perfect!

MooseF10
10-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Since it isn't possible to custom order a vehicle in the states with the badges removed, can they be removed post delivery in the states?

Has anyone had any luck in doing this? I am looking to remove the "5" series on the rear as well as the "xdrive" on the left and right side next to the front wheel wells.

Thanks in advance.

Strong dental floss will work. You can do it yourself.

1HOT BMR
10-13-2010, 09:02 AM

Thanks in advance.

Warm up the badge with a hair dryer - not too much, just warm to the touch. Then use Glide Dental Tape (or other waxed floss) and carefully run the tape between the body and the badge - it will peel off quite easily. Remove the glue residue from the paint with De-Solv It - super effective stuff that won't harm your paint, at all. http://www.amazon.com/Solv-Cleaner-22608-12-Oz/dp/B000BQWVTQ

If the dealer is willing to do it as suggested above then by all means have the dealer do it for you.

schlagle
10-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I found this link earlier in the week.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=1

CarBrain
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I wonder how many people actually prefer to have the badge/model number removed.

DreamCar
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I wonder how many people actually prefer to have the badge/model number removed.

Yeah.... Why would somebody want to remove these..

1HOT BMR
10-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Quite a few people like to do it, especially enthusiasts who give reasons like:

The car looks cleaner, uncluttered, etc.; easier to wash and wax.

I believe that having people think you are driving a 550 when you are driving a 528 is also a big part of it. Have you ever seen an M5 owner debadge his car? They also get furious when they see someone installing an M5 badge on a "lesser" car - they paid dearly for the privilege of showing off that badge so they hate to have anyone take away that exclusive right. :rofl:

kocsis
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I had an M5 and removed the badge. I know many M5 owners who remove badge. It becomes more "stealth" for police and frankly car looks cleaner. I also hate to adevrtise someone else's label.....I remove badges from all cars, which by the way is a pretty typical practice in Europe (where I'm from).

MooseF10
10-13-2010, 12:06 PM
It was an option on my M5 order sheet to have it come "naked" without badging.

CarBrain
10-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I think that the only time I would remove the badge is if I bought the f10 535i and then redo the tailpipe to look like the 550i. He he he.

Needsdecaf
10-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I had an M5 and removed the badge. I know many M5 owners who remove badge. It becomes more "stealth" for police and frankly car looks cleaner. I also hate to adevrtise someone else's label.....I remove badges from all cars, which by the way is a pretty typical practice in Europe (where I'm from).

I once read a story about a British M5 owner who put 520d badges on his car.

LOLZ.

HWF
10-13-2010, 08:36 PM
When I was in Germany during my ED, I noticed that many of the "local" cars were debadged.

grizzles
10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
i was thinking of just removing the x drive badge but now i like it. if they come off i would probably not replace them though.

dominoaz
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I de-badge for cosmetic reasons and also because "Steal to Order" car thieves are less likely to stop and try to ID a model that isn't readily identifiable. Just as easy to go onto the next car.

bklyn550
10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Is it just guys who dont buy top of the line cars that do this..How do you debadge a M5?? the M logo is on the front Quaters. If you must do so use fishing line and finish off with some goo gone. Then you can customize your tail pipes to look like the car you really wanted.

swim4519
10-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Is it just guys who dont buy top of the line cars that do this..How do you debadge a M5?? the M logo is on the front Quaters. If you must do so use fishing line and finish off with some goo gone. Then you can customize your tail pipes to look like the car you really wanted.

I don't think this is about "hiding" the car you bought from people for vanity reasons. I decided not to go with the 550 because of fuel consumption and honestly, I didn't see the need for the additional power when the 535 is plenty powerful enough. Instead, I went with a fully loaded 535 Msport, xdrive, ZP1, ZP2, Nappa, Active/ventilated, cameras, night vision, etc. that was only a couple thousand less than the equivalent 550. Once you are purchasing a car in this price range, a couple grand is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things, so again, this is not about me wanting people to think I purchased a 550. Even if I had purchased the 550, I still would have wanted to debadge it for many of the reasons other posters have mentioned. If this was all about hiding the model to hide the fact that I didn't go for the more expensive 550, would I also want to remove the Xdrive badge....NO. The fact remains that I want to remove both.

In addition, the one thing that drives me nuts about the badges is the white "haze" that seems to collect around the badge when you get it washed quickly and don't have time for a full detailing. I have found that I need to take a q-tip to get the haze to go away and it is just frustrating.

RichReg
10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I believe the idea of de-badging the car is one that was started in Europe ;; they try to deter would-be thieves by making sure they give no clue as to what model they have.

Car theft is a real big problem over there and in fact, 'de-badging' is actually on the option list along with the other things that we in the U.S. can't order from the factory. :)

dominoaz
10-16-2010, 12:37 PM
The whole concept of badging is different in Europe. It is acceptable to badge a car with "M" or AMG simply for having "M" or AMG equipment on a car. This philosophy has even trickled down to US models. My '06 X-3 had the Sport Pkg. Included with the package were wheels, steering wheel, sill plates and a few other parts that had the "M" prominently displayed on them. Not posing as an MX3, just refining with "M" designed equipment. Not trying to upgrade a lesser model. It just came that way.

edspider
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
ditto to the X-Drive badge. It's kinda big. I don't mind the model batch on the trunk, but that xDrive is so in your face.

bmrboy2008
10-17-2010, 06:56 PM
How about rebadging it as a 555i just to confuse people? :eeps:

:rofl:

Newmanium
10-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Anybody know if you can debadge a lease car and not get dinged on turn-in?

bikerboy
10-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Don't know about getting dinged on turn in for lease car for de badging, but I'm picking up
550ix Sport in the morning and the x drive badge should, hopefully, be off. It's a lease car. Dealer is removing badge. Never said anything about it. If it said 550ix on the rear deck, fine, but that badge on the side of the car just looks bad. Mercedes doesn't "badge" the side of their cars, and BMW should follow that lead.

dominoaz
10-19-2010, 02:52 AM
I've turned in several BMW lease cars w/o badging with no problem. Now I put the badging in a bag and put it in the trunk. The next owner then has the option.