PDA

View Full Version : rich still the only X-drive owner?

solstice
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Is richschneid still the only one on this board that has taken delivery of an X-drive F10 or are there any lurkers around that can give their driving impressions?

rigel12
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Best as I can tell, yes. I haven't been able to find anyone else in th U.S., even on other forums.:bawling:

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Please see my posts on the 535ix thread. I have news regarding the hold up and delivery of the Five Series vehicles from the New Jersey VPC.

grizzles
10-13-2010, 12:58 PM
got mine yesterday. was scared that i didnt have combox. it just took too long to download all the images from my ipod 30gig.

the car is awesome, blows my 335xi away.

cant get the iphone bluetooth to stream music yet, the music symbol is ghosted out.

steering is awesome. the ride is so much better than the 3. i dont feel half of the potholes that destroyed my previous car.:rofl:

x5 '08
10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
got mine yesterday. was scared that i didnt have combox. it just took too long to download all the images from my ipod 30gig.

cant get the iphone bluetooth to stream music yet, the music symbol is ghosted out.

steering is awesome. the ride is so much better than the 3. i dont feel half of the potholes that destroyed my previous car.:rofl:

So can I check it out PLEASEEEE? I'm not crazy - just want to order mine already and am afraid too unless I see it in person.

By the way, what dealership did you get it from in NNJ? By the looks of the showroom, I'm guessing Prestige?

RNarang
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

The car looks great! I did European delivery and picked M Sport with Sophisto as well. My only complaint with the look of our cars is the height. Are you planning on lowering?

Needsdecaf
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Damn, I love that porch!

(Car aint bad either :rofl:)

kocsis
10-13-2010, 01:56 PM
What color is your car? And is it a 550ix or 535ix? Beautiful!

solstice
10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm curious about some more details of the steering compared with your 335xi.
- Is the center weight better, same or worse? ( Does it require some effort to move the steering off center and when off center is there noticeable tension to want to return to the center )
- Does the F10 steering communicate more or less information regarding the road surface ( grip level, irregularities etc ).

grizzles
10-13-2010, 09:54 PM
that photo makes my car look pretty jacked. i dont think i will lower the car, it feels really good as it is now. better than before with my 3. drove int NYC and the potholes were not as noticible as the 3 sport. or jarring. the car is a 550xi sophisto gray. still assessing the steering and handling. i am going easy on the car still smells like melted plastic outside with only 150 miles.

Munich77
10-14-2010, 04:25 AM

That car looks awesome. Congratulations!

x5 '08
10-14-2010, 05:08 AM
that photo makes my car look pretty jacked. i dont think i will lower the car, it feels really good as it is now. better than before with my 3. drove int NYC and the potholes were not as noticible as the 3 sport. or jarring. the car is a 550xi sophisto gray. still assessing the steering and handling. i am going easy on the car still smells like melted plastic outside with only 150 miles.

Is your steering wheel heated? Haven't been able to get an answer to this question yet.

MooseF10
10-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Is your steering wheel heated? Haven't been able to get an answer to this question yet.

If you order the cold weather package, it is heated regarless of what other options you order. There are 3 steering wheels and all are heated with the cold weather package.

x5 '08
10-14-2010, 07:31 AM
If you order the cold weather package, it is heated regarless of what other options you order. There are 3 steering wheels and all are heated with the cold weather package.

I see that's what it says online but my sales person told me the M steering wheels ARE NOT heated. Just trying to confirm w someone whose actually received an M Sport at this point.

grizzles
10-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I see that's what it says online but my sales person told me the M steering wheels ARE NOT heated. Just trying to confirm w someone whose actually received an M Sport at this point.

heated for msport

mautzi
10-15-2010, 04:38 AM
picked up my 550i xdrive yesterday, so add me to the list. I rushed to get it home before the rain hit CT yesterday so not much experience driving it. the steering does feel light compared to my 2002 x5. will post pictures after the weekend

imperial blue, venetian beige interior which is a bit darker than i remember :)

AntDX316
10-15-2010, 07:09 AM

It's based off the 7-series. Going on cobble roads in england, the old 5-series would make teeth chatter but with the new 5-series you don't feel it. I don't know what they did, but they made it smoother.

grizzles
10-15-2010, 01:38 PM
It's based off the 7-series. Going on cobble roads in england, the old 5-series would make teeth chatter but with the new 5-series you don't feel it. I don't know what they did, but they made it smoother.

I know. i dont know if i still would get the tire insurance. well, too late.

jsf1993
10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Is richschneid still the only one on this board that has taken delivery of an X-drive F10 or are there any lurkers around that can give their driving impressions?

I took delivery of a 2011 535xi (w/sports and dynamic handling packages, among other options) in Munich on October 7. I am still driving my 2008 535xi at home as I await redelivery of the new car in the US. So, I am in a good position to offer observations regarding comparisons between the 2 vehicles. For what it is worth, here's my take:

1. The 2008 model feels more "sporty" than the 2011, while the 2011 model feels MUCH more refined.
2. I believe that the 2011 535xi retains hydraulic steering (unlike the rear drive models). Nevertheless, there is more driver feedback from the steering wheel on the 2008 model.
3. The 2008 model feels lighter than the 2011 and may feel a bit faster. I suspect the "faster" feel of the 2008 is more of an impression than a reality. The 2011 is plenty fast and accelerates very quickly.
4. The dynamic handling package on the 2011 works exceptionally well and if one places the car in sport mode (or sport plus mode), the car corners beautifully and may even be "flatter" when pushed to the limits than the 2008 model. The comfort mode, however, is way too cushy for my tastes and results in the car handling more like a MB E series than a BMW 5 series car. (Those who have driven a recent MB E series will understand what I mean by this.)
5. The interior of the 2011 feels much bigger than the 2008 and is MUCH more luxurious.
6. I have the upgraded multi-contour "comfort" seats in both vehicles. I miss the side bolster adjustments in the 2011 (the 2008 has that adjustment control), but the 2011 seats are more comfortable overall. They just won't "hug" the driver as much and, as a result, the car doesn't feel quite as "sporty" as the 2008.
7. The navigation in the 2011 is light years ahead of the 2008.
8. The run flat tires were surprisingly quiet and comfortable.
9. While the HUD in the 2008 model was a nice feature, the 2011 version is even better and more adjustable. There is less windshield glare from the HUD in the 2011 model than in the 2008 model.
10. I liked the "active" element of the active, ventilated seat option more than expected. I do think that it may help avoid muscle fatigue and reduce sciatica on longer drives. I was pleasantly surprised.

All in all, I hated leaving the 2011 behind when I came home. It really is an amazing car and a marked improvement over the 2008 model overall.

pharding
10-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Great review. I concur with your comments on my 550i except my current 550i is noticeably faster than my 2008 550i.

solstice
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks that review closely mirrors my impressions. Then it's just how much value one put on each attribute.
Have you driven a non X-drive F10? If so, is the steering feel as you remember it closer to the X-drive F10 or the E60?

solstice
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
I'll also add that I would place the F10 with dhp in Sport mode between the E60 Sport and the E60 xi when it comes to body roll. I have an E60 535xi loaner now and while highly tossable it's way softer than the E60 535i with Sports package.

GoBluBeemer
10-16-2010, 07:10 AM
My 535ix (graphite with anthracite and cinnamon, sports, premium, cold weather pkgs, nav, pkg assist, split fold rear seats, rear cam, usb, and clear plate) arrived in Baltimore on 10/11. Dealer's eta is 10/18. That day can't come soon enough. I'll post driving impressions and photos.

jsf1993
10-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks that review closely mirrors my impressions. Then it's just how much value one put on each attribute.
Have you driven a non X-drive F10? If so, is the steering feel as you remember it closer to the X-drive F10 or the E60?

I have driven a non x-drive F10, but the car I drove was a 550i, the test drive was over 6 weeks ago, and I was limited to a dealer's test track loop. I remember being impressed by the car overall, but the short drive really didn't allow me to appreciate the nuances of the driving experience.

I wonder if most test drivers who are commenting on the steering are unwittingly commenting on the overall change in the dynamics of the 2 cars and thinking that it is the steering. What I mean by that is that the F10 has an entirely different front suspension than the E60 (and prior 5 series generations) and I wonder if that is the source of the big difference in the way the F10 handles and feels when compared to the E60. Maybe it is that difference that is being communicated to the steering wheel and not the form of steering power assist. I'm sure that the new suspension design is superior in some ways, but the trade off may be reduced road feel as communicated through the steering wheel.

solstice
10-16-2010, 10:12 AM
So it seems like X-drive gives little if any improvement in steering feedback. The hope now goes to the M5. That a more communicative steering is introduced on the M5 and that some of whatever they do to accomplish this will filter down to zsp for the rest of the F10 range.

1HOT BMR
10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
So it seems like X-drive gives little if any improvement in steering feedback. The hope now goes to the M5. That a more communicative steering is introduced on the M5 and that some of whatever they do to accomplish this will filter down to zsp for the rest of the F10 range.

I don't know why people keep mentioning the M5 and hoping that it will be better. The last generation M5 was a terrible car and it had a lousy steering. What is it that makes everyone think that the new one will be better? The current 550i is so much better than all the M5s up to now. This of course is my own personal opinion and everyone is welcome to disagree - so, fire away . . my flame suit is on. :D :rofl:

jsf1993
10-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Honestly, I am not saying that it does or that it doesn't. I was simply saying that I couldn't recall how the non X-drive steering compared after a short test drive 6 weeks earlier and offered a theory on why people are commenting on the steering feel generally with the F10 model change (multi link front suspension in the new model vs. MacPherson strut in E60's and prior 5 series models). While I noted that the E60 model offered more road feel and feedback through the wheel in my 2008 535xi over the that in my newer F10 535xi, I didn't find the feedback in the newer 535xi objectionable. It was just "different," and I don't know/can't recall how it compared to the non x-drive F10 at this point.

I hope that this clarifies what I was trying to say and doesn't add confusion to the discussion.