PDA

View Full Version : first day engine malfunction on. Back to dealer.

DrA
10-13-2010, 12:28 PM
First day engine malfunction light on. Back to dealer. Salesman was nice and did all the arrangments with service and rental car. diagnostic tests show bad sensor or loose contact.
Please help if this is part of bigger problem that they are hiding. What else can I do? I would like to keep the car. White with black interior. It has all the options except head-up display and radar.

My family BMW history
2011 550i
2008 X5 lease return
328i got it when the last new model change. Lemoned for bad engine.
645 got it when first introduced. returned it after many Trany problems.
735Li, 740Li, 745il, 745il 750il from early 1990s

1HOT BMR
10-13-2010, 12:54 PM
First day engine malfunction light on. Back to dealer. Salesman was nice and did all the arrangments with service and rental car. diagnostic tests show bad sensor or loose contact.
Please help if this is part of bigger problem that they are hiding. What else can I do? I would like to keep the car. White with black interior. It has all the options except head-up display and radar.

My family BMW history
2011 550i
2008 X5 lease return

Why are you still buying BMWs? Looking at your BMW history . . . :thumbdwn: . . . . . I would have given up a long time ago. The more I read about people's problems the more I worry about my decision to get my first BMW. I sure hope it doesn't turn into the dumbest decision of my car life.

CarBrain
10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, you really have a string of bad luck with BMWs.

This will be our first BMW and my wife did insist that we get a Lexus instead for reliability. If I have a lot of my problem with my future F10 550i, my wife will nag me to death.

solstice
10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Seems like the computer is getting a flaky signal or no signal from one sensor. Doesn't sound bad. Did your I-drive show any other messages like "reduced power" or similar?

SkiScubaSailDud
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Sounds like another "Transport Mode" call... You would think the dealers would wisen up to these type issues.

Jack Stefano
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Why are you still buying BMWs? Looking at your BMW history . . . :thumbdwn: . . . . . I would have given up a long time ago. The more I read about people's problems the more I worry about my decision to get my first BMW. I sure hope it doesn't turn into the dumbest decision of my car life.

You either get a good one or a bad one. Trust me on this.

markl53
10-13-2010, 07:05 PM

These types of forums always make you scared when you are buying a car. My first German car was a '99 VW Passat. Reading their forum I almost backed out due to all the whining and complaints. I went ahead, and it was definitely a great car. We who participate on the forum are a tiny fraction of all BMW owners and we tend to be the pickiest buyers and owners, IMO. Your BMW will most likely be fine, just like the 3 I have owned so far. While driving my new 535i home from work tonight, I'm still wondering why everyone is yelling about the suspension, steering, everything else. It's got to be the finest car I've owned in 40 years of driving and about 18 cars in all.

2008550I
10-13-2010, 11:20 PM
These types of forums always make you scared when you are buying a car. My first German car was a '99 VW Passat. Reading their forum I almost backed out due to all the whining and complaints. I went ahead, and it was definitely a great car. We who participate on the forum are a tiny fraction of all BMW owners and we tend to be the pickiest buyers and owners, IMO. Your BMW will most likely be fine, just like the 3 I have owned so far. While driving my new 535i home from work tonight, I'm still wondering why everyone is yelling about the suspension, steering, everything else. It's got to be the finest car I've owned in 40 years of driving and about 18 cars in all.

Newbies? :dunno: This is my 2nd 550i and never had a problem. I would recommend them to any who asked with a clear conscience.

DrA
10-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the responses

They replaced bank 2 air flow meter and the car was working fine until I went over a bump and th engine light was on and the engine was shaking in reduced power mode. After restart warning light is off and car is fine. Maybe there is a loose connection? And what is ***8220;Transport Mode"?

"Why are you still buying BMWs?"
I buy it because BMW has the best handling and it is fun to drive. Also generally over the years we have experience. We had as many Mercedeces as BMWs. The Mercedeces had their share of problems too. For example 4 years ago my brand new Mercedes S550's transmission broke on the freeway. After they put the new transmission the car was trouble free for four years.

My family BMW history
2011 550i
2008 X5 lease return

solstice
10-14-2010, 08:04 AM
"the engine was shaking in reduced power mode"
Hmmm...that is not a good sign and changes things. It no longer sounds like an issue with a passive diagnostics sensor but something more serious. I'd take it back to the delaer if it happens again even if it clears at "reboot".

DXK
10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Sounds like a fuel delivery system issue. What gas do you put in it? Do take it to the dealer and please let us know

solstice
10-14-2010, 09:38 AM
A funny anectdote is that my E60 535xi loaner had the same symptoms this chilly fall morning. I recognized it to well, this loaner has the HPFP/injector issue. So now I have my F10 at service for dynamic drive malfunction with no solution in sight and an E60 loaner with hpfp/injector issue. My 5-year old asked if we needed to walk to school as the car was shaking before I rebooted it. I'm sure the kids at her school will get a thourough debriefing of our new broken car and our broken loaner.

DXK
10-14-2010, 10:04 AM
One would think the point of the loaner is to enable the customer to get around while his car is being serviced.
This whole HPFP thing has become a bad joke by now.

solstice
10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I was willing to deal with it when bmw aimed at the ultimate driving machine but if the new mantra is the ultimate compromise I'm out. Gremlins and plush softness spells to much Jaguar for my taste.

DXK
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Even if I did agree with you regarding the f10 handling (I don't have the car yet, so I've only driven it a few times, but I don't have as nagative opinion as you), there is just not that much out there: MB E-AMG is more expensive and not much better in that department, P car looks, well, you know, and S and turbo is astronomically priced and if you want to do ED, they charge you even more! Audi - they're getting better, but not there yet. Jag - I am not ready to buy Indian cars for 70K

solstice
10-14-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't mind the looks of the Panamera so I see that as a viable option for me. The V6 is also suffiicent for me since I value handling far above massive power. Every A6 I've driven feels front heavy and pushes through curves so I'm not a fan. Hopefully the new one will be different.

DrA
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a fuel delivery system issue. What gas do you put in it? Do take it to the dealer and please let us know
All this was happening on original dealer full thank. I am assuming they use super gas. I put mobil super.
My son reports no problems today and he is the more aggressive driver. Do we still need to drive carefully first thousand mile or it does not apply anymore to the latest models? I will take it to the dealer if happens one more time. I should drive over some bumps to see if the problem repeats again.:dunno:
I want to repeat that the handling is amazing in winding, hilly road considering this is a large car, almost the size of an old 740i.

solstice
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Take it easy the first 1200 miles. bmw recommends no sports mode during that period.

solstice
10-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Was the car well warmed up when you got the error or was it still cold? The reason I ask is that the hpfp/injector issue that plagues the N54 engine normally first shows up when the car is cold.

B-1 Pilot
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Man, I'm going to have a huge sad face if the F10s have HPFP issues too... already dealt with that on one BMW.

I'll just chalk it up to another reason to opt for the 550.

DXK
10-14-2010, 05:36 PM
All this was happening on original dealer full thank. I am assuming they use super gas. I put mobil super.
My son reports no problems today and he is the more aggressive driver. Do we still need to drive carefully first thousand mile or it does not apply anymore to the latest models? I will take it to the dealer if happens one more time. I should drive over some bumps to see if the problem repeats again.:dunno:
I want to repeat that the handling is amazing in winding, hilly road considering this is a large car, almost the size of an old 740i.

Well, I have heard of the case where it happened with the brand new car and it turned out to be nothing and never came up again. Should it happen again, take it in.

solstice
10-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Man, I'm going to have a huge sad face if the F10s have HPFP issues too... already dealt with that on one BMW.

I'll just chalk it up to another reason to opt for the 550.

The OPs car is a 550i...but it's far to little info to even suspect a bad hpfp or injector. Though it happened twice if I understood correctly. You know the saying, once is never and 2 times are 2 times to much...

DXK
10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
The OPs car is a 550i...but it's far to little info to even suspect a bad hpfp or injector. Though it happened twice if I understood correctly. You know the saying, once is never and 2 times are 2 times to much...

I think this particular problem happened only once so far

DrA
10-14-2010, 10:58 PM
What are/were the other models with the same 50i car engine? What is their track record about hpfp? I know there was an issue with 35i models and they started to make new pumps after that. I hope we got the new/revized pumps.
Is this dreaded problem intermitent? My problem occured only once going over a bump while entering freeway. I exited the freeway and drove with shaking engine few miles. Problem disappeared after I stoped and restarted.
You guys are making me paranoid :confused: I drove my car tonite and it was great.:)

solstice
10-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Try not to worry, one time is no time. I haven't seen any reports of hpfp issues with your engine. I think your engine is in the X6, the 5GT and the 7-series as well.
Perhaps it was just a one time glitch.

DrA
10-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Try not to worry, one time is no time. I haven't seen any reports of hpfp issues with your engine. I think your engine is in the X6, the 5GT and the 7-series as well.
Perhaps it was just a one time glitch.
Thanks, I searched 750 forums too and found no hpfp problems.

AntDX316
10-15-2010, 07:11 AM

My family BMW history
2011 550i
2008 X5 lease return

For some reason, your ment to have vehicle trouble. A lot of people never experience a single problem due to a defect, only a few do.

DrA
10-15-2010, 07:07 PM
For some reason, your ment to have vehicle trouble. A lot of people never experience a single problem due to a defect, only a few do.
Since early 90's I started to lease new BMW 7 series and did not have any major problem for 3 lease terms which is 9 years. If I have kept that last car for another 9 to10 years I would never have experienced a "single problem" due to a defect until now. But I like changing cars so I guess that is the reason I find "vehicle trouble' more. Another reason is this new technology that reduces engine power.
The first major problem started when the first idrive 745 was introduced in 2001. I was in the fast lane when due to some minor problem engine switched to reduced power mode and I almost got killed attempting to pull over to the right shoulder crossing 5 lanes. There are no more left shoulders in California because they are converted to carpool lanes. Upsetting part is not that there was a minor defect but after the car detects a malfunction it goes to shutdown mode endangering lives. Before this reduced power mode was invented you would keep driving with the engine light on and take it to the dealer next morning. The event would not register as major car trouble and soon you will forget about it. See, 9 years later I remember it as a BMW car trouble and perhaps offending some BMW fun boys. This reduced power mode protects their car, engine and instead puts you in danger. When the car is moving at high speed it should not cut the power. It should only warn you. If some fatalities result from this system the company will be in trouble with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I am not an expert and just expressing my opinion.