PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else frustrated....

Big Pete
10-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Just read that the 7-speed DCT will be available in the 335i, along with being offered in the Z4. I'm still frustrated that BMW is not offering the DCT on the F10.:mad: I admit to not keeping completely up to date on the chatter but I understood they chose to only offer the 6-speed and auto tranny in the F10 as a concession to the purists that derided the SMG. If true, I'd argue those purists would object to these transmissions in the 3-series and Z4 as well. Is there some mechanical / technical issue preventing the use of the DCT in the F10 (i.e. too much torque in the 550).

Needsdecaf
10-16-2010, 06:41 PM
r but I understood they chose to only offer the 6-speed and auto tranny in the F10 as a concession to the purists that derided the SMG. .

Not really.

BMW's position has been that the DCT goes in the sportier cars, the ZF 8 speed auto goes in the more luxurious cars.

Makes sense to me.

chrischeung
10-16-2010, 07:52 PM
What will the DCT do that the 8 Speed auto won't? Better fuel consumption, less gears?

The only real world loss I feel will be launch control. When I owned an SMG, I used launch control about 5 times over 15 months - more to see and show off than any real world practical use.

Saintor
10-17-2010, 07:13 AM
The ZF 8-sp makes the DCT almost redundant, being less complexity and requiring less maintenance. The only thing that I would miss from the top version DCT is the control launch (M-cars only?).

B-1 Pilot
10-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Dealer told me to expect DCT in the new M5 (alcantra too...)