PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Control Knobs

Stanesq
10-16-2010, 10:20 PM
When I had my first BMW, a 2002 528i, I really liked that the temperature controls were buttons to raise or lower the temperature individually. In recent years BMW went away from the buttons and now have a knob to raise or lower the individual temperatures.

I feel like they went backwards from the pushbuttons to the dial knob. Anyone know why they went with a knob? Just curious but its one of my pet peeves about the new car design lately. Just does not look as streamlined.

ccbbrb
10-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Personally, I've had both -- arrows on my E39 and knobs on other cars. The knobs seem quicker and more intuitive.

AzNMpower32
10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Knobs are easier for dumb people to understand.

I prefer the old button method but I think we're in the minority.

markl53
10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
With all the other control buttons, I think the knobs are fine and easy to operate. Thank G-d they didn't remove the complete A/C control panel and force control via iDrive. I love the way the functions are split for HVAC and other items between dash controls and iDrive. Compare our controls to, say, my friend's Acura TL or RL -- dozens of buttons all over the dash.

jeffhoff
10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I guess I fall into the dumb group, but I prefer the knobs to the buttons. . . . I think the last thing the center console needed was 4 more buttons on it.

And I have to 2nd markl's comment about integrating the temp into the iDrive, that would be a disaster.

quackbury
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Just guessing, but 2 buttons means twice the number of parts to fail and cause warranty (or non-warranty) repairs.

ebloom
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
The buttons are fine if you want to change it one or two degrees. But the knobs are much easier if you want to change it more. My 04 M3 has buttons, the 07 328xit has knobs. The buttons have the techie look, but knobs really are easier to use.