PDA

View Full Version : Performance Springs for the F10

pharding
10-17-2010, 08:30 AM
I am looking at adding performance springs for my 550i with Adaptive Drive. This is what I found so far.

AC Schnitzer
http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-cars/products-models/5-series/f10-seit-2010/suspension/

RD Sport - version for adative drive
http://www.racdyn.com/Model_Intro.cfm?esk=11047&e_id=99999
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/5-Series-F07,-F10,-%26-F11-%282009%2B%29-Suspension/c400_440_442/p11931/RD-Sport-Springs-for-the-F10-5-Series/product_info.html

Or wait for Eibach Pro-line or Dinan Performance Springs? Or wait for the rumored Dinan Adative Drive software upgrade? Are there other options out there?

solstice
10-17-2010, 10:32 AM
If you are looking into this please let us know if warranty is impacted. I already have a failure in the dynamic handling system and since springs impacts these components I suspect there would have been warranty issues if I had after market springs installed.

Diver624
10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
You will definetely affect your warranty. You don't want to get into a warranty fight with BMW when you have a problem with an expensive component.

quackbury
10-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Which would tend to favor waiting for the Dinan setup.....

pharding
10-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Will the Dinan setup void the warranty?

jimefam
10-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes. But to be honest with you in the unlikely(although perhaps not that unlikely look solstice) event that you had a failure with components related to the suspension I'd swap back in the originals before taking it to BMW. Unlike the software upgrade I don't believe this is something they can't tell you did if you revert back to the original springs.

quackbury
10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes. But to be honest with you in the unlikely(although perhaps not that unlikely look solstice) event that you had a failure with components related to the suspension I'd swap back in the originals before taking it to BMW. Unlike the software upgrade I don't believe this is something they can't tell you did if you revert back to the original springs.

OMG don't go there! You're probably looking at $750 of labor to pull the Dinan springs out and replace them with the factory springs before you go to the dealer.

AFAIK, when Dinan components have voided the factory warranty Dinan provided its own warranty matching the factory terms. So you would still be "covered", just a different provider. You should inquire about this - I am sure Dinan can tell you if they still do this or not.

jimefam
10-18-2010, 10:08 AM
OMG don't go there! You're probably looking at $750 of labor to pull the Dinan springs out and replace them with the factory springs before you go to the dealer.

AFAIK, when Dinan components have voided the factory warranty Dinan provided its own warranty matching the factory terms. So you would still be "covered", just a different provider. You should inquire about this - I am sure Dinan can tell you if they still do this or not.

Well yeah if you had your springs changed at the dealer it would be $750 but I have(as every man should have IMHO a mechanic who handles little stuff like this. I actually spoke to him about the springs and he quoted me between $300-400 depending on how difficult BMW has made it. Still expensive no doubt but if I do it and a problem arises I take it to him first he will check it and if it's suspension related we will remove them then take it to the dealer for the warranty claim. As for dinan you are theoretically right but let me use solstice as an example. Say I'm him and I got the dinan springs then have that malfunction, I take it to BMW they blow me off and tell me that the lower springs put extra strain on the ARS pump causing it to fail prematurely then you go to dinan and they tell you the springs had nothing to do with it. They say it was a faulty pump and BMW has no basis for rejecting your warranty claim and that they need to prove to you the springs caused the failure. Technically they would be correct but good luck convincing BMW of that. Now I know dinan is a reputable company and I have never heard of them doing something like this but it could happen. The truth is when you mod you accept a certain amount of risk. I'm putting on the h&t springs unless dinan comes out with something asap if I were to run into an issue where BMW is at fault I'll go the sneak route. If it really is the springs I'll try to take it up with h&r(GL with that) or take it on the chin.

solstice
10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
With over a week of labour costs already and no doubt expensive parts I've decided to stay away from anything not warranted to the full by bmw. What if you get to a stage where you need to lemon the car, will Dinan do that? I doubt it. This is early in the product cycle of a very complex car, full warranty is to me an absolute must. Replacing springs etc leaves marks as shiny bolts etc and when it comes down to large claims I'm pretty sure they look for these kind of things. I would.

jimefam
10-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Considering your current experience I can imagine. I may hold off on any mods for a few months to see if anything goes wrong. After that though it's on!