PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Go

edspider
10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Pardon my use of an MB term, but I don't know what BMW calls it. I've had this feature in many cars. About once a year, leave the car and lock it. Later when I come back I find it is still running. I feel like an idiot for not hitting the stop/go button. I see the big "key missing" warning light on.

It seems to me that if the car is in park, the doors locked and the key has left the premises - a wise car computer would kill the engine. Assume the driver forgot.

Any suggestions as to why it doesn't operate this way?

jimefam
10-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Just curious but how do you not notice the engine is still running as you walk away. No joke I just can't imagine the car being that quiet.

raleedy
10-17-2010, 10:57 PM
If you left the car more than once a year you would be better at it.

FPNY
10-18-2010, 06:30 AM
i never left my car running, i did manage to lock the key fob in the car(after turning the car off) and walk away...thank goodness for bmw assist, they unlocked the car like magic!

edspider
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Just curious but how do you not notice the engine is still running as you walk away. No joke I just can't imagine the car being that quiet.

Good question. I hadn't thought it was just me. The short answer is I'm deaf. The long answer is I hear pretty well with a cochlear implant. But with one ear, I can't tell where sound is coming from. When I slip up, it is when I park in a busy lot where there is a lot of other noise including engine noise.

None the less it doesn't make sense to me that the engine continues to run. I get it if the car is in gear, but if has been in park for say 10 minutes - shut off.

MooseF10
10-18-2010, 07:20 AM
My elderly mother-in-law recently bought an Infinity and she has gone out to her garage the next morning to find her car still running as she is not used to this feature (and probably never will be). This is a real danger as the car is in a closed garage. She has the key in her purse and takes the purse into the house but the car keeps running. The engine is too quiet for her to hear it running. I wish these car companies would incorporate a a better safeguard so that a car will not run for 8 hours if the key is nowhere nearby.

markl53
10-18-2010, 03:36 PM
i never left my car running, i did manage to lock the key fob in the car(after turning the car off) and walk away...thank goodness for bmw assist, they unlocked the car like magic!

I thought it's basically impossible to lock the car with the key inside. How did you do it?

edspider
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I thought so too. I locked my key in the trunk. I didn't think of calling BMW. Sure wish I thought of that. I think what happened is my iPhone and key were touching each other. They were both in a warm/cool insulated grocey bag that has a silver lining. Either the RF coming off the iphone or the foil in the bag must have hidden the key from the car's electronic sensors.

I find it amazing the car knows if the key is near the car or inside it. They must have a lot of sensors as it generally works very well for me.

1HOT BMR
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I thought so too. I locked my key in the trunk. I didn't think of calling BMW. Sure wish I thought of that. I think what happened is my iPhone and key were touching each other. They were both in a warm/cool insulated grocey bag that has a silver lining. Either the RF coming off the iphone or the foil in the bag must have hidden the key from the car's electronic sensors.

I find it amazing the car knows if the key is near the car or inside it. They must have a lot of sensors as it generally works very well for me.

So normally the car wouldn't let you close the trunk lid with the key inside it, correct? My Acura had this feature and it worked flawlessly 100% of the time.

brandonw
10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
OK, OK, I will confess. I have done this as well - but only ONCE. I was in a rush, late for an appointment and parked in a very noisy and busy parking lot, thus I couldn't hear the car running as I walked away. Two and half hours later, I came back to see my car still running. I did hear the "chirp" that I locked the car from the remote walking away. edspider does have a point, that there could easily be an "alert" feature of some kind. In my case, I could see that me pressing the lock button on the remote would have triggered some sequence of audible chirps, rather than the single "chip" when locking. That would have signaled me that something was not right. Yes, any product can only be so idiot proof, but technology is a wonderful thing. OK, I am going to step out of the confessional now.

markl53
10-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Aren't you all used to shutting down your engine one way or another when you park? First thing I do is parking brake, trans in 1st (if manual), or park for automatic, and SHUT OFF THE CAR. Whether it has a button or key, don't you just turn it off before you get out??? (I guess not)

FPNY
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
My car was shut off, I took my jacket off and put it in the back seat of the car, I think I hit the lock button on the dash and closed the doors. BMW assist opened the door within a few seconds.

grizzles
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
i left my car running twice at my office parking lot for about 4 hours. my 335 xi a little louder than my 550. there should be an update to the system.

goodmanal
10-19-2010, 04:36 AM
My car was shut off, I took my jacket off and put it in the back seat of the car, I think I hit the lock button on the dash and closed the doors. BMW assist opened the door within a few seconds.
I haven't got my 535ix yet but I read in the owners manual that you have to push the lock button twice to shut the ignition and turn off the electronics.

tdepetra
10-19-2010, 05:00 AM
In my test drive, I somehow had my foot still on the brake pedal when I was pushing the "off" button - the car immediately started again without any starter motor clatter or noise of any kind. Had I removed my foot from the brake and pushed the button twice, the car would have shut off. I probably needed a special dummy warning, because I have driven a car with a push button stop/start for 3 years and should have known better.