PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard speaker?

Srv fan
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I've just bought a 520dSE with the standard stereo. I thought long and hard about the 400 plus upgrade but decided the basic was probably ok.

However, even with bass on max, it's a little underwhelming and I'm beginning to regret not forking out.

I've noticed a large grille in the middle of the dashboard and thought this was a bass/sub as the door speakers are pretty small but no sound comes out of it.
Does anyone know if this is indeed a speaker and whether it can be enabled or without an upgrade, is it just a blank?

Many thanks,
Ian

AzNMpower32
10-18-2010, 02:10 PM
More than likely, that speaker is blank if you did not order a system upgrade. It will be expensive to upgrade, and most likely needs to be aftermarket.

jeffhoff
10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure about the UK specs for the 5-series, but in the states the standard audio is:
High-fidelity 12-speaker sound system, including 2 subwoofers under the front seats,
and digital 7-channel amplifier with 205 watts of power

The upgraded system is:
Enhanced Premium high-fidelity 16-speaker sound system with Digital Sound Processing (DSP),
2 subwoofers under the front seats and digital 9-channel amplifier with 600 watts of power

In both cases the sub's are mounted under the seats. That said, the grill on the dash is for a speaker, the question is going to be if it's pre-wired on your car or not. Even with the additional speaker you're still dealing with almost 400 watts difference between the standard and premium systems

AzNMpower32
10-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure about the UK specs for the 5-series, but in the states the standard audio is:
High-fidelity 12-speaker sound system, including 2 subwoofers under the front seats,
and digital 7-channel amplifier with 205 watts of power

The upgraded system is:
Enhanced Premium high-fidelity 16-speaker sound system with Digital Sound Processing (DSP),
2 subwoofers under the front seats and digital 9-channel amplifier with 600 watts of power

In both cases the sub's are mounted under the seats. That said, the grill on the dash is for a speaker, the question is going to be if it's pre-wired on your car or not. Even with the additional speaker you're still dealing with almost 400 watts difference between the standard and premium systems
The standard audio for non-North American countries is the 6-speaker, 4-channel sound system. The US gets the Hi-Fi system as a standard upgrade.

Srv fan
10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks. Have just checked the base spec and it should come with 6 speakers but I can only trace 4 (1 in each front door and 1 each behind each rear headrest) unless they have a tweeter and mid/bass side by side and count them separately?

Coincidentally, dealer rang me today to check all ok so I mentioned the middle dash speaker- will get back to me.
Cheers for comments.

AzNMpower32
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Perhaps two speakers underneath the seats functioning as bass.