PDA

View Full Version : 8-speed SPORT automatic transmission

xsi123
10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Can you guys think any downside of getting the 8-speed SPORT automatic transmission for the 550? (except for the extra $500 :p )

Also, do you pull or push the shift paddles to change gears?

oil_filter
10-18-2010, 02:03 PM
I have it in my 528i...no downside as far as I can tell.

You pull the shift paddled to change gears.

richschneid
10-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Can you guys think any downside of getting the 8-speed SPORT automatic transmission for the 550? (except for the extra $500 :p )

Left paddle shifts down, right paddle shifts up. Also, the sport tranmission shifts are faster. I wouldn't get the car without it.

xsi123
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Left paddle shifts down, right paddle shifts up. Also, the sport tranmission shifts are faster. I wouldn't get the car without it.

Not that is makes any difference for this car but is there any change on MPG with the sport transmission?

Also, what about comfort? Other than changing fast, is it also smooth?

SRB7787
10-18-2010, 09:22 PM

The sport trans is one of the best things about this car. I love it in sport mode...Don't buy the car without it.

richschneid
10-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Not that is makes any difference for this car but is there any change on MPG with the sport transmission?

Also, what about comfort? Other than changing fast, is it also smooth?

The shifts are almost imperceptable. I can't imagine a better transmission on the market today. A major technological advance. It is the best transmission I have ever experienced. MPG should be unchanged.

goodmanal
10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
The shifts are almost imperceptable. I can't imagine a better transmission on the market today. A major technological advance. It is the best transmission I have ever experienced. MPG should be unchanged.The xDrive is one gallon per mile less efficient than the RWD according to US Government rating.

richschneid
10-19-2010, 10:46 AM
The xDrive is one gallon per mile less efficient than the RWD according to US Government rating.

I was referring to the sport tranmission, which was the original question, not to the xDrive.