PDA

View Full Version : 550ix's being held at US ports?

rigel12
10-21-2010, 08:03 AM
My dealer (and they're good guys) informed me that my 550ix, and others, are being held at the port. Reason unknown. The 550ix M Sport arrived in Baltimore, and relased from the shipping company, on Tuesday, 10/12. It's now 10/21 and have just been told there's a hold. Anyone else hearing this? Anyone else receiving their 550i or 550ix's since 10/12?

swim4519
10-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Which ship did yours come in on?

rigel12
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
MEDEA - Baltimore.

LINER RELEASE BALTIMORE, MD 12-10-2010 08:23:07
DELIVERED FROM BALTIMORE, MD 12-10-2010 08:01:00
DISCHARGED BALTIMORE, MD 12-10-2010 08:00:00

Emilner
10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
From my dealer: All 550ix's are being held to have a motor mount replaced, something to do with sound insulation, they are a few days behind...

parkums
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I was also on MEDEA. 535 m-sport. finally arrived at dealer in MD yesterday

solstice
10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I really hope they keep track of these things and perform the fixes on cars already delivered.

rigel12
10-22-2010, 07:27 PM
From my dealer: All 550ix's are being held to have a motor mount replaced, something to do with sound insulation, they are a few days behind...

UPDATE: Dealer finally received news my 550ix M Sport will arrive at the dealership on Monday, 14 days AFTER arriving in Baltimore (you can drive to the dealer in 6 hours from Baltimore). The dealer was told that there is no recall or any other related issue with the car. So why so damn long? Was the dealer told the truth or is the dealer covering the truth?

There's a story here and no one is getting the confirmed truth. We do know that dealer's were notified that there is a delay in shipping the 550ix's from the ports but nobody is talking about why.

Hiding the truth, especially from us, the enthusiasts is just plain dumb and stupid. We're big boys, we can handle it. We know things aren't perfect. Help us help you by being upfront, but no, creating suspicion seems to be the norm for this manufacturer. After all, it took over a week before a forum member was able to finally wrangle the truth as to why the 535ix's were being held.

Thanks Emilner for sharing, but is it real?

Now I'm beginning to understand why Solstice blows a cork once and a while. :banghead:

trevdean
10-22-2010, 07:31 PM
My 550XI was supposedly arriving yesterday/today. My CA informed me last night that it's not here yet due to an issue at "the port." I'm in the Western US. So, the wait continues....agree that there's something going on, not a big deal but I believe transparency is the best option for situations like this. Don't think anyone is being disengenuous but it would still be better to know....

Emilner
10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
UPDATE:
Thanks Emilner for sharing, but is it real?

I have no reason to doubt him, and frankly if you are going to make something up I would not have the imagination to come up with a motor mount. The dealership is in Freehold, they get the cars really fast after they are released, crossing my fingers...

GoBluBeemer
10-23-2010, 07:25 AM
I've been anxiously awaiting delivery of my 535ix since arrival in Baltimore on 10/12. My dealer advised that there was a hold at the port to replace door plates. ETA in Chicago area is 10/29. :thumbdwn:

paul3
10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I've ordered a 550xi M. According to the BMW Tracker, its "at the prep center". But I cannot find out where, what ship, etc.

Any thoughts on more how to see more details than I get n BMW Tracker?

schlagle
10-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I've ordered a 550xi M. According to the BMW Tracker, its "at the prep center". But I cannot find out where, what ship, etc.

Any thoughts on more how to see more details than I get n BMW Tracker?

Call your CA. Or you can check out this page and use the "Tracking the car status via phone, BMW North America:" instructions:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/how-to-follow-a-new-bmw-from-order-to-shipping-and-to-delivery/

cmorv
10-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Once your car is ready for shipping, BMW's tracking is a waste of time. Try to find out what shipping company(boat) is being used, then you can use of car VIN# and track your car.

kocsis
10-24-2010, 07:14 AM
That doesn't work either once your ship is in the open sea. But until then the link previously given is great

fta
10-24-2010, 07:53 AM
My 550I xDrive arrived via Medea in Baltimore on the 12th as well. My dealer had it on Sat the 16th in the morning, I had it by Sat evening. He did not tell me of any issues. Am I the only one who received his car on time?

paul3
10-24-2010, 03:19 PM
The BMWBlog artilce was pretty amazing! As it turns out, seems the car is at the dealer (at least according to the BMW Tracker).

Thanks for the help.

Its a 550xi in Carbon Black with a number of options. I'll let folks know what I think of it.

schlagle
10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
The BMWBlog artilce was pretty amazing! As it turns out, seems the car is at the dealer (at least according to the BMW Tracker).

Thanks for the help.

Its a 550xi in Carbon Black with a number of options. I'll let folks know what I think of it.

I think everyone here has had that page bookmarked at some point in time. It's really amazing what can be done with the internet and GPS tracking.

And you're one more person I need to be jealous of. My 535i is sitting in port waiting for a ship. I'm hoping it can make it on the Don Juan. Gotta love that ship name.

GoBluBeemer
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I received the call I've been waiting for today! 'Will post pics and driving impressions after I take delivery on Wednesday (they're prepping and installing 3M clear bra). Ausgezeichnet!

rigel12
10-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Last Thursday, 10/21 I started this post due to my dealer informing me of an internal email that over 600 550ix's were being held a Eastern US ports. They tried to get answers but just kept getting VM from Regional Distribution. That evening I wrote the Dealer an email expressing significant disapointment in how BMWNA was treating the Dealer, let alone the buyer. Late that night, the Dealer fowarded my email to Regional Distribution and the zone Rep. The next morning (Friday), the Dealer was informed the car would be delivered on Monday (10/25)...and it was.

Still, no answer to the Dealer or to me why such a delay. Of all the conjecture, no one has been able to explain the delays based upon the internal email. So what was it?

Waiting a whole 2 weeks after ship arrival without an explanation is liquid bunk. As I said earlier, we should be given the respect and receive a valid reason.

Now that I have the car, I can tell you I like it even better that the RWD version. I'll express my opinions and observations shortly.

Thanks to all who responded to this post. It may have helped others in a similar situation.

In the end, this hidden Houdini, keep a secret corporate crap game they love to play has an apparent vindication. Within hours of an ABC news story on the twin-turbo N54 engine this morning, BMW was forced to post a recall of 130,000 cars. Trying to avoid the truth and the inevitable was exposed and will now cost them big time. Man, can't wait for the vultures at Audi to jump on this one.

The lesson (if they wish to learn from it) couldn't have come at a better time. :freakdanc:

raleedy
10-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Last Thursday, 10/21 I started this post due to my dealer informing me of an internal email that over 600 550ix's were being held a Eastern US ports. They tried to get answers but just kept getting VM from Regional Distribution. That evening I wrote the Dealer an email expressing significant disapointment in how BMWNA was treating the Dealer, let alone the buyer. Late that night, the Dealer fowarded my email to Regional Distribution and the zone Rep. The next morning (Friday), the Dealer was informed the car would be delivered on Monday (10/25)...and it was.

Still, no answer to the Dealer or to me why such a delay. Of all the conjecture, no one has been able to explain the delays based upon the internal email. So what was it?

Waiting a whole 2 weeks after ship arrival without an explanation is liquid bunk. As I said earlier, we should be given the respect and receive a valid reason.

Maybe they just dropped it.

Emilner
10-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are getting a little exited over nothing. My dealer originally said it will be in port 1-2 weeks. Turns out my car was there 5 days. Even the wiki threads say 1-2 weeks as it goes through customs. For whatever the reason it was delayed forget about it. You have your car, enjoy it!!

kocsis
10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I agree with Rigel12. BMW (and some of its dealers) maintain a corporate culture of opacity where they feel that it's in their best interest to keep facts from the consumer. That may have worked in the old fashioned German/ European "we know better" world, but it does not work (and should not) in today's corporate culture. They deserve the exposure and forced recall they were hit with yesterday. And no, it does not take up to two weeks to get a car from the port; only if there is something wrong with a large percentage of the deliveries (such as a recall).

Emilner
10-27-2010, 07:37 AM
It sounds like Rigel's car was at the port for a whole ten days. LOL, standards a wee bit out of whack?

kocsis
10-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Yes, it's longer than usual, if only by a few days. It deserves an explanation from BMW - whether it's some some of recall campaign or just a processing capacity issue. It's not the wait, but rather the BMW approach to it....

Emilner
10-27-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't know, a car being delayed by 3-5 days out of an 8-10 week process does not deserve a response by BMW. Too much else to worry about in life, or to enjoy depending how you look at it...