PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Black

bimluva
10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I happen to see this posting on another site. Please tell me there's a mistake and this is not carbon black....it looks really blue in that light. I was hoping for something darker and closer to black.:cry:

DreamCar
10-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I happen to see this posting on another site. Please tell me there's a mistake and this is not carbon black....it looks really blue in that light. I was hoping for something darker and closer to black.:cry:

Looks like imperial blue to me

kocsis
10-21-2010, 08:55 AM
I saw carbon black on a X6. It looked black with just a hint of blue in certain rights. That's what I ordered.

jimefam
10-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I saw a carbon black 750i about two weeks ago, it looked exactly like that. I was disappointed as well, in the shade or a cloudy day it does look black but in direct sunlight it's very blue.

Stanesq
10-21-2010, 08:57 AM

That is definitely imperial blue. Carbon Black looks darker than the old Porsche Midnight blue. Make no mistake though, it is a very dark blue, not black. That is what I ordered myself.

When you see it inside it looks black from most angles. Outside it will look black from certain angles but in direct sunlight reflects as midnight blue.

bimluva
10-21-2010, 09:01 AM
That is definitely imperial blue. Carbon Black looks darker than the old Porsche Midnight blue. Make no mistake though, it is a very dark blue, not black. That is what I ordered myself.

When you see it inside it looks black from most angles. Outside it will look black from certain angles but in direct sunlight reflects as midnight blue.

It is listed as CB....

markl53
10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
As a photographer, I can tell you that picture is overexposed, probably due to the bright sunlight and the darkness of the car (and a cheap camera?). If you notice the rear of the car and the top, it looks very dark, almost Carbon Black. My guess is the sun was shining very brightly on the side of the car and the overexposre exaggerated the lightness of the color. As others have said, Carbon Black, except in the brightest light, looks almost black with just a hint of blue. Beautiful color, IMO.

vortexx
10-21-2010, 09:25 AM
That car could easily be CB - but dont be alarmed, it doesnt look anything like that in real life. That picture is clearly over exposed. The highlights are blown out, the tree leaves are bright, light green and the blacktop is a light grey. CB is hard to capture in a photograph unless the photographer knows what he/she is doing, because it absorbs most of the light and fools the camera's exposure control system.

Attached are a couple of shots from my previous e60 in CB, showing what it looks like from various light angles. With direct light shining on the surface, you will see the dark blue metallic, and the rest of the car will look almost black. It really is a stunning color since it is somewhat chameleon like.

markl53
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
That car could easily be CB - but dont be alarmed, it doesnt look anything like that in real life. That picture is clearly over exposed. The highlights are blown out, the tree leaves are bright, light green and the blacktop is a light grey. CB is hard to capture in a photograph unless the photographer knows what he/she is doing, because it absorbs most of the light and fools the camera's exposure control system.

Right on -- note my same response above :)

repstein
10-21-2010, 06:29 PM
I have a Carbon Black 7 and I LOVE IT. Great color. Looks nothing like the picture from the OP in person.

Stanesq
10-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Here are two Carbon Black photos in direct sunlight which really makes the car look more blue. Look out of direct sunlight and its definitely more of a black.

The vehicle on the left I got the sun right on the fender. (its a 7 series in Carbon Black), The car next to it is the same vehicle but looks black as its not directly on the sun glare.

The shot on the right is of the fender of the same vehicle on the left from a slightly diff angle.

markl53
10-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Here are two Carbon Black photos in direct sunlight which really makes the car look more blue. Look out of direct sunlight and its definitely more of a black.

The vehicle on the left I got the sun right on the fender. (its a 7 series in Carbon Black), The car next to it is the same vehicle but looks black as its not directly on the sun glare.

The shot on the right is of the fender of the same vehicle on the left from a slightly diff angle.

Hmm, I wonder if they made a change. My impression from seeing Carbon Black previously is that it didn't look that bright a blue in any light.

vortexx
10-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Hmm, I wonder if they made a change. My impression from seeing Carbon Black previously is that it didn't look that bright a blue in any light.

It doesnt! It is still the same color. I recently returned my carbon black 2008 E60 to the dealer at the end of the lease. During the inspection it was parked next to a 2011 carbon black 7 series. The colors on the two cars were identical. It just does not photograph reliably with a point and shoot camera, or, for that matter, practically any camera in auto exposure mode.

Stanesq
10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
It doesnt! It is still the same color. I recently returned my carbon black 2008 E60 to the dealer at the end of the lease. During the inspection it was parked next to a 2011 carbon black 7 series. The colors on the two cars were identical. It just does not photograph reliably with a point and shoot camera, or, for that matter, practically any camera in auto exposure mode.

Those were taken with a Canon EOS T2i

Here are a couple more below.

Stanesq
10-22-2010, 06:48 PM
All pictures are from the same car. It depends on the angle of the sun. At night it looks black all around obviously.

Andrzej_K
10-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Check this: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?lang=de&id=137553103&pageNumber=1&tabNumber=1

adgrant
10-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Those were taken with a Canon EOS T2i

Here are a couple more below.

Did you dial in some exposure compensation? Getting a well exposed photo of a black car is much more about the photographer than the camera. Any camera with exposure controls will do.

MooseF10
10-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Guy who works with me has a carbon black e60 and says that photo is a carbon black car in the sun.

johnbmw6
10-25-2010, 12:13 PM
That looks right to me as well. Should read Carbon BLUE:D