PDA

View Full Version : Leasing question...

xsi123
10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Let's say you lease for 3 years. After a year you move to a different state. Your lease period is ending...

Where do you return the car?

Also, with whom do you negotiate if you want to purchase the car after the lease period ends?

Do you have to go back to the original dealer?

TJPark01
10-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Where do you return the car?
BMW Dealer, but they may charge you for not returning the car to the same dealer.

Also, with whom do you negotiate if you want to purchase the car after the lease period ends?
BMW Dealer (they are the agent for the leasing company)

Do you have to go back to the original dealer?
No.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/lease.htm

smhoer
10-21-2010, 08:59 AM

If you are purchasing based on your residual and do not plan to get it CPO's you negotiate with BMWFS.

xsi123
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
If you are purchasing based on your residual and do not plan to get it CPO's you negotiate with BMWFS.

A little bit confused here. Who owns the car after the lease period? Is it the Dealer or BMW?

smhoer
10-21-2010, 10:35 AM
a little bit confused here. Who owns the car after the lease period? Is it the dealer or bmw?

bmw na

Eirerogue
10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I leased my 530 in Texas and returned it into BMW Las Vegas. No problems in dealing with BMW NA. For me, it was fast and easy.

repstein
10-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Your leasing company owns the car. The dealer is just an agent. From what I gather, if you return the car to a different dealer (return, not buy from the leasing company), they are not obligated to CPO the car and put it up for sale. At their option, they can send it to auction. On the other hand, if you return it back to the original dealer, from what I was told, they have to CPO it and put it up for sale on their lot. Neither of these issues are really of any concern to you, but thought that was interesting.

I haven't heard of additional charges when you return the car to a dealer other than the original one. News to me.

Randy

pharding
10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Return the car to any dealer.
Negotiate with BMW FS. When my son's 330 came off lease. They offered residual value minus $3,000. I countered with minus $5,000 and I told them that was the best he could do. They accepted my counter over. Great deal on a great car for my son.