PDA

View Full Version : Product News / Reviews Race Ramps - A Revolution for Do It Yourselfers?

tim330i
10-21-2010, 08:07 AM
251246 Maybe they're not revolutionary, and more evolutionary but either way they're a huge improvement over anything I've ever used. Being an avid "do-it-yourselfer" (DIYer) I've upgrade many of my tools along the way but I've still been tirelessly pumping my jack handle, positioning jack stands and crawling under my car hoping nothing slips and crushes me. I try to avoid thinking about that happening, but it happens more often than any DIY enthusiast wants to know about.

Everyone knows about drive up ramps and anyone with a BMW knows they're no way to use them, until now. Ramps sold at auto parts stores have ramp angles that are laughable. Trying to use cheap ramps is like driving your bumper into a curb.

251242 Enter the revolution of Race Ramps, drive up ramps built specifically for auto enthusiasts with low cars and wide tires. The first thing you notice is how long the ramps are, and they have to be to get the ramp angle down to a front bumper friendly angle of 10.75 degrees. The next thing you notice is the weight, they're amazingly light. They're made out of some sort of structural foam covered in an anti-skid coating. The two ramps weigh in at 23 pounds, total! That's seriously cool and make the thought of lugging my 50lb "lightweight" aluminum jack and jack stand so much less appealing.

Like so many DIYers I don't have a dedicated shop, I pull all my tools out for each project and then put them all away again. That's a two fold advantage for the ramps. Their weight makes them easy to grab and setup and the drive up nature means I spend my time working on what needs fixing, and not wasting time on setup. When I'm done stash them away on the top of a cabinate or in the garage rafters until needed next time. The ramps are so light and compact (I have the two parts ramps) I was able to fit them in my E46 M3 trunk! The ability to move them around, take them to the track or a friends house for a DIY is a huge bonus.

251247 With the XT two part ramp design that I got also means once you drive up, you remove the base ramp giving you unobstructed access to the under side of the car. That might not sound like a big deal, but you don't realize how much the jack stand was in the way until its not there. Transmission fluid, fuel filter (my DIY fuel filter (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=799622) completed on Race Ramps), exhaust all sit right in the middle of the car, and on the BMW so does the side jack pad where the jack stand goes.

Is there still a place for jacks and stands, absolutely. You obviously can't change your wheels and tires if your car is sitting on them but for the most common maintenance DIY, an oil change I'll never use my jack again. The safety of having all the wheels firmly planned and the pure simplicity of "driving up" makes DIYs that much more enjoyable.

Read more Bimmerfest product reviews (http://www.bimmerfest.com/tag/Product-Review)

caidis16
11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
those look pretty awesome. any drawbacks?

teagueAMX
12-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Expensive - $245 at Summit for set, especially when you find out they are made of EPS form.

Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Race-Ramps/?autoview=prod&gclid=CMnVvc622qUCFQYHbAodICT6mQ/)

Race Ramps (http://www.raceramps.com/)

They have a cool 'tube vid toward the bottom of the page

wisbimmer20
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
or you can just jack the car up, slide some stands under and be done with it

cartwrit
12-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I ca just here them when they discussed a selling price: "Hell, these people are driving expensive cars, what's a few hundred bucks to them?"

Now when I jack up my car, I' ll think of $245.00 and smile...

TerraPhantm
12-18-2010, 11:46 PM
or you can just jack the car up, slide some stands under and be done with it

and then you run into the problem of not being able to find a jack that'll go far enough under to get to the front-center jacking point. As sick as it looks, I'm definitely not lowering my next car... too much of a pain in the ass