PDA

View Full Version : 2011 528i Buying advice

MSS
10-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi folks,
I am in the US market to buy 2011 528i. I believe in value for money and therefore do not feel its worth paying 5000$ extra to get a 535 for some extra power despite 535 being more popular. I would appreciate comments on my questions below;

1. I am waiting for the 0.9APR offer for 60 months. Does BMW offers get better by the end of the year?

2. What should be my negotiating price; How much over invoice?

3. Is it worthwhile to opt for the sports transmission? What does one gain?

4. Does sports package give you anything extra like sports transmission than what is listed on their website?

5. I keep seeing comments on the steering and how it no longer feels the same. My take is that these comments are by people who already own a BMW and therefore dont like the new feel of the steering. I have never owned one and for me the steering when I test drove felt fine. Any comments?

6. Is black, really that hard to maintain and keep scratch free?

7. Any recommended US dealers for ED delivery. I live in NC so I can easily pick up from SC

Thanks

MSS

TJPark01
10-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi folks,
1. I am waiting for the 0.9APR offer for 60 months. Does BMW offers get better by the end of the year?
Doubt it goes that long. 36 months is the longest I have seen it with BMW.

2. What should be my negotiating price; How much over invoice?

As close to invoice as possible. If you don't like haggling with people or you're in a rush, you may have a tough time here.

3. Is it worthwhile to opt for the sports transmission? What does one gain?
Yes. Fatter steering wheel, paddle shifters and manual control of transmission behavior.

4. Does sports package give you anything extra like sports transmission than what is listed on their website?
Huh? Check website, that's what you get.

5. I keep seeing comments on the steering and how it no longer feels the same. My take is that these comments are by people who already own a BMW and therefore dont like the new feel of the steering. I have never owned one and for me the steering when I test drove felt fine. Any comments?
It's fine, and lovely. Interview the people who actually own one and you'll hear mostly positive things.

6. Is black, really that hard to maintain and keep scratch free?
Black is the most difficult color to keep clean and swirl free. If you don't have the time or patience or knowledge to do it, opt for another color. Trust me I detail cars.

7. Any recommended US dealers for ED delivery. I live in NC so I can easily pick up from SC
You are in a prime spot for ED delivery. Check out the page with regional members and poke around.

mike1122
10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I got 0.9% for 60 months on a 335 in august

TJPark01
10-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I got 0.9% for 60 months on a 335 in august

OK, for a car that's been out for 5 years. I guess I should have clarified 36mo is the longest I've seen it for a new model.

MTech8
10-22-2010, 05:10 AM
It really depends how you intend to drive the car. The 528 is a great choice as a commuter car, when you aren't planning on taking more than an extra passenger very often or if you are willing to rev to higher rpms.

For the 528, the sports package gets you the ability to adjust the sports trasmission and the firmness of the suspension. But you need to get a 535 or 550 AND the dynamic handling package in addition to the sports package to get the active roll stabilization. That aspect is what will make cornering feel really good. I'd get the sports package just for the better looking wheels.

The Other Tom
10-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Visit the Euro Delivery forum here on bimmerfest. Lots of dealer recommendations. Two that come to mind are Flow BMW (winston-salem ?) and BMW Mini of south Atlanta.

MSS
10-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Thank you all for the input.

bobr2001
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
It really depends how you intend to drive the car. The 528 is a great choice as a commuter car, when you aren't planning on taking more than an extra passenger very often or if you are willing to rev to higher rpms.

For the 528, the sports package gets you the ability to adjust the sports trasmission and the firmness of the suspension. But you need to get a 535 or 550 AND the dynamic handling package in addition to the sports package to get the active roll stabilization. That aspect is what will make cornering feel really good. I'd get the sports package just for the better looking wheels.

afaik sports package does nothing for the suspension or the sports tranny :dunno:

pharding
10-24-2010, 03:55 AM
Josh Douglas at Elmhurst BMW is the finest BMW Euro Deelivery sales rep in the Chicago area doing Euro Delivery. He is superb and will have a very competitive number for you.

MSS
12-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I am getting all set to buy the 528 this month. Few questions
1. How can I ensure that I have a later model (after sept) to make sure BMW has taken care of glitches reported. How late a model should I aim for?
2. Does invoice include MACO and training?
3. Any advantage of PC delivery from a price standpoint. I know it is a lot of fun
4. Can I apply 1500 holiday credit to invoice or does it apply to msrp
5. Any recommendations of a good CA around Winston Salem nc

Thanks

I love this forum

markl53
12-09-2010, 07:53 PM
afaik sports package does nothing for the suspension or the sports tranny :dunno:

+1. You still need the DHP package on the 528i to control suspension settings. DHP on the 528i does not include all the features of 535i/550i DHP and is priced lower ($1000). The sport transmission is optional ($500) and available only in conjunction with the sport package.

Bryan26852
12-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I have currently negotaited a 528i semi-loaded to invoice price. I am now working on a cheaper extended maintenance.

Sherman B
12-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I have currently negotaited a 528i semi-loaded to invoice price. I am now working on a cheaper extended maintenance.

What dealer was that at?

Sherman B
12-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I am getting all set to buy the 528 this month. Few questions
1. How can I ensure that I have a later model (after sept) to make sure BMW has taken care of glitches reported. How late a model should I aim for?
2. Does invoice include MACO and training?
3. Any advantage of PC delivery from a price standpoint. I know it is a lot of fun
4. Can I apply 1500 holiday credit to invoice or does it apply to msrp
5. Any recommendations of a good CA around Winston Salem nc

Thanks

I love this forum

I am wondering about MACO and Training fees too.

ihumphrey
12-10-2010, 05:53 AM
I am wondering about MACO and Training fees too.

MACO and training fees vary by region but generally would be considered to be part of the invoice, although edmunds or true car may or may not reflect that if you look up the invoice at those sites. Best way to ensure the true invoice is just ask the dealer what the invoice is for the car. Invoice is an excellent price IMO, my 535 was closer to 1K above although for my area and the low volume dealer I use I considered it reasonable and am willing to pay a modest premium for the exceptional service and treatment I receive at this dealer. Good luck with your negotiation and purchase!

MSS
12-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks iHumphrey, Bryan and Sherman B

I am decided on a regular (non sports) 528i. How late a model for 2011 528, should I shoot for, given the reports of some problems with the earlier models.