PDA

View Full Version : BMW Ambient Lightning

UltimateDriving
10-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Anyone have pictures of your cars with ambient lightning?
I want to see how it looks :thumbup:

There are not many pictures of this in the internet, just a few, i would like to see how it looks on your cars :D

Kamdog
10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Anyone have pictures of your cars with ambient lightning?
I want to see how it looks :thumbup:

There are not many pictures of this in the internet, just a few, i would like to see how it looks on your cars :D

It is very difficult to get an actual picture.

I have it on my E60, and I love it. It gives a soft orange glow to some key parts of the interior. The door pockets, the center console, etc. This way you can see the stuff without losing your night vision. I highly recommend it.

jwrtiger
10-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Sorry link is broken.

jwrtiger
10-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Here is a picture of my 2011 528i. Hope this picture helps.

UltimateDriving
10-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Loving the look man!!
Just wondering, i though it came in the center console too :D

Daneandjake1
10-23-2010, 12:27 AM

Nice picture. Looks much better during the night. My friends 2008 335i Coupe has it and it's sweet. Lights up the front and back nicely.

pharding
10-23-2010, 03:38 AM
The ambient lighting on the F10 is spectacular. It is exceedingly well done.

jimefam
10-23-2010, 05:40 AM
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403385

There are also a bunch of videos on YouTube.

markl53
10-23-2010, 08:58 AM
IMO, those pictures in the link are way exaggerated. The ambient lighting is subtle. There are two small LED's that point downward onto the console area from the upper control panel, this has also been on the '05 and '08 3 series that I had. I'll try to get some night pictures later.

bmrboy2008
10-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Nice! How are you liking your 2011 528i? What options? I am considering moving into one.

jwrtiger
10-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Loving the look man!!
Just wondering, i though it came in the center console too :D
The center console does have some ambient lighting in all three compartments but to see the effect you would have to open each one. I just took the picture for you last night in my garage so it doesn’t show everything. I am in agreement with others that it is really a nice effect and you can use the dash light control to also adjust these LED lights.

markl53
10-23-2010, 10:24 AM
The center console does have some ambient lighting in all three compartments but to see the effect you would have to open each one.

I'm not sure I'd call the actual compartment light the "ambient" lighting. In any event, there are two LED's that project downward from the upper control panel, providing general ambient lighting for the console area. I remember when I first got my '05 330i, it seemed like the markings on my 6MT shifter were "glowing" from somewhere within. Then I realized the 2 LED's were aiming down onto the console area. That was the extent of any ambient lighting in that car, and my '08 335i.

jwrtiger
10-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Nice! How are you liking your 2011 528i? What options? I am considering moving into one.

I am really enjoying the car. I did have a concern that I might wish I had gotten the 535i but after about 2000 miles I feel I made the right decision.

My plan was for a long range touring car so I didn***8217;t op for the sport packages/options but went with the luxury side of the order form. I went with the Driver Assistance Package mainly for the Active Blind Spot Detection. It seems to work very well for me and I like that it included the speed of the upcoming cars when making decisions. Our main freeway in my area is US 101 and the lane lines are very good so the Lane Departure also works well. I have not tried the Parking Assistant yet so not sure how well it works but I have read good things about it and it is also demo***8217;ed on YouTube. I got both Premium Packages and Premium 2 includes the upgraded sound system and the navigation.

We take friends out many times so I got the four zone climate control and I am happy with it. I really like that BMW adds the extra vents in the B-pillar for the backseat occupants. I also got the Xenon headlights and for travel the split fold-down-rear seats. I think fold-down seats should be included on all models of the 5-series as standard equipment. Probably the biggest must have for me are the multi-contour seats. I am just under 6-feet and most seats, at least for me are always lacking thigh support. Since these seats offer adjustable thigh support they work really well. I just got back from a 4-hour drive with no real fatigue. Best of luck in your purchase!

jwrtiger
10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure I'd call the actual compartment light the "ambient" lighting. In any event, there are two LED's that project downward from the upper control panel, providing general ambient lighting for the console area. I remember when I first got my '05 330i, it seemed like the markings on my 6MT shifter were "glowing" from somewhere within. Then I realized the 2 LED's were aiming down onto the console area. That was the extent of any ambient lighting in that car, and my '08 335i.

Good point I should not have used the term ambient. In my Acura MDX it also has two ceiling LEDs that light up the console but they are blue in color.

bmrboy2008
10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I am really enjoying the car. I did have a concern that I might wish I had gotten the 535i but after about 2000 miles I feel I made the right decision.

My plan was for a long range touring car so I didn***8217;t op for the sport packages/options but went with the luxury side of the order form. I went with the Driver Assistance Package mainly for the Active Blind Spot Detection. It seems to work very well for me and I like that it included the speed of the upcoming cars when make decisions. Our main freeway in my area is US 101 and the lane lines are very good so the Lane Departure also works well. I have not tried the Parking Assistant yet so not sure how well it works but I have read good things about it and it is also demo***8217;ed on YouTube. I got both Premium Packages and Premium 2 includes the upgraded sound system and the navigation.

We take friends out many times so I got the four zone climate control and I am happy with it. I really like that BMW adds the extra vents in the B-pillar for the backseat occupants. I also got the Xenon headlights and for travel the split fold-down-rear seats. I think fold-down seats should be included on all models of the 5-series as standard equipment. Probably the biggest must have for me are the multi-contour seats. I am just under 6-feet and most seats, at least for me are always lacking thigh support. Since these seats offer adjustable thigh support they work really well. I just got back from a 4-hour drive with no real fatigue. Best of luck in your purchase!

Thanks. I am having the same concern. Most of my driving is on city streets and I may not need more HP. However, I do like a more sporty car. I am currently looking for either Jet Black or Dark Grey Metallic, black interior, Sports Package, Premium 1 and 2 Packages, Xenon Headlights and Sport Auto Transmission with paddle shifters. I was hoping to add active steering. However, it does not appear that IAS is available on the 528i. Will be going shopping this afternoon. :thumbup:

markl53
10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Good point I should not have used the term ambient. In my Acura MDX it also has two ceiling LEDs that light up the console but they are blue in color.

Question for you -- I saw someone else's interior shots of their new car and noticed their center dash vents had a temp control wheel for both sides, also they had thin chrome trim strips along the top and bottom of the vents. I only have 1 temp wheel and the set of flasher/unlock buttons and no trip strips. I'm wondering if that's part of the 4-zone option -- do you have the 2 wheels and strips on yours? I'm wondering what other option or package provides that (my options are in my sig below). I just added a zoomed in shot of my center dash area.

UltimateDriving
10-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I though BMW ambient lightning had led along the dash (Like Mercedes) Seems it's only in the doors :D

vortexx
10-23-2010, 02:43 PM
I though BMW ambient lightning had led along the dash (Like Mercedes) Seems it's only in the doors :D

The Gran Turismo (GT) has ambient lighting on the dash but the other variants of the 5 series do not. The dash and console of the 5GT is actually closer to the 7 series than the 5 series. See attached pic from BMW USA website.

UltimateDriving
10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
The Gran Turismo (GT) has ambient lighting on the dash but the other variants of the 5 series do not. The dash and console of the 5GT is actually closer to the 7 series than the 5 series. See attached pic from BMW USA website.

Yeah, that's why i was asking, i saw the GT picture but couldn't find any from the sedans and was wondering.

I think they're keeping it for the LCI? :)

jwrtiger
10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Question for you -- I saw someone else's interior shots of their new car and noticed their center dash vents had a temp control wheel for both sides, also they had thin chrome trim strips along the top and bottom of the vents. I only have 1 temp wheel and the set of flasher/unlock buttons and no trip strips. I'm wondering if that's part of the 4-zone option -- do you have the 2 wheels and strips on yours? I'm wondering what other option or package provides that (my options are in my sig below). I just added a zoomed in shot of my center dash area.

Yes I have the two chrome strips on the top and bottom of the vents and I also have the two temperature wheels for each of the center dash vents. I thought the extra temp controls were a little strange but my CA said that they are handy when you have the front window defroster on because you can alter the center dash vent temperature. Not sure if that is one of their main purposes. I do think it is part of the 4-zone option but not positive. I even have those two controls for the rear vents at the backend of the console.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes I have the two chrome strips on the top and bottom of the vents and I also have the two temperature wheels for each of the center dash vents. I thought the extra temp controls were a little strange but my CA said that they are handy when you have the front window defroster on because you can alter the center dash vent temperature. Not sure if that is one of their main purposes. I do think it is part of the 4-zone option but not positive. I even have those two controls for the rear vents at the backend of the console.

I am the individual who posted the pictures on the other thread to which the reference has been made. I have the 4 zone HVAC option in my vehicle. This results in the additional controls in the front and rear of the vehicle. I assume this also results in the added chrome strips. The only reason I am not sure about the chrome strips is because I also have the convenience package, which has ambient lighting. It is possible the chrome has been added as a part of this package, but, in all probability it is part of the 4 zone option.

markl53
10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I am the individual who posted the pictures on the other thread to which the reference has been made. I have the 4 zone HVAC option in my vehicle. This results in the additional controls in the front and rear of the vehicle. I assume this also results in the added chrome strips. The only reason I am not sure about the chrome strips is because I also have the convenience package, which has ambient lighting. It is possible the chrome has been added as a part of this package, but, in all probability it is part of the 4 zone option.

I have the premium package which includes the ambient lighting also, the chrome strips are not part of that. Thanks.

Yes, the wheel is to vary the temp of the air from whatever temp is coming from the AC. I have the one wheel that will control this temp for both center vents together. With your dual control, you have more control to vary only one or both vents. Thanks for the answer. Oh and just so you know, you might be getting cool or warm air from the center vents with the wheels in their neutral position, you don't have to move them all the time. It's only if you want to change the temp from whatever the AC deems it should be blowing out. I basically leave them in the middle position.

bobr2001
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
.......cars with ambient lightning? do we get thunder too? :thumbup:

jwrtiger
10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I have the premium package which includes the ambient lighting also, the chrome strips are not part of that. Thanks.

Yes, the wheel is to vary the temp of the air from whatever temp is coming from the AC. I have the one wheel that will control this temp for both center vents together. With your dual control, you have more control to vary only one or both vents. Thanks for the answer. Oh and just so you know, you might be getting cool or warm air from the center vents with the wheels in their neutral position, you don't have to move them all the time. It's only if you want to change the temp from whatever the AC deems it should be blowing out. I basically leave them in the middle position.

Markl53, thanks for the FYI and I now leave them in their center position. Before I did much reading about the climate control they were both in the blue (cooler) position. We went from a warn day to a cold day and I set the automatic control to warm up the car and as I was driving I thought; oh great the AC isn***8217;t working right because it is still cool air coming from the center dash vents. I relaxed when I realized that both wheels were in the cool setting. I would have been embarrassed to take it to the service center complaining that the heating system wasn't working right.

BMWfanatic87
12-14-2010, 07:53 PM

K-A
12-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Looks nice. Love ambient lighting. Surprised the F10 doesn't have it under the dash wood though. Makes for an extra gorgeous surround effect.

NewbimmerMD
12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
It would have been nice for them to put some ambient lighting in the foot wells when the doors are open. :dunno:

Zathris
12-16-2010, 01:50 PM
It would have been nice for them to put some ambient lighting in the foot wells when the doors are open. :dunno:

I agree, BMW has had the red ambient lighting in the 5 series foot wells before, if memory serves. I found it to be startlingly missing and hard to overlook as I'd become use to it in earlier models.

-Zathris

savela
12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Ambient lighting is sooo much nicer with the nave screen off on a dark night. Very subtle and well done. Use the voice command and say 'display off'.