PDA

View Full Version : 535ix test drive, acceleration anyone?

JoeRoadster
10-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi folks,

First post, but I've been lurking here for the past few weeks, learning about the F10.
The xdrive equipped cards finally made it to my local dealer, and i finally went to take a look and test drive.

Some impressions from a newbie.

My current car is an audi A4: 3.2
I never owned a BMW.

I like the look of the new 5 series, and features it offers. The Dakota leather looks a little simulated to me, but i can look past that.

The lack of spare tire bugs me, but i suppose I could tie a spare to the back of the drivers seat ;)

The stock stereo is weak. Maybe the premium is better.

The nav system looks really nice. Love the size, and clarity.
Ipod/iPhone integration with combox intrigues me

The drive... I drove the 535ix w/o sport package. I went in knowing full well how folks felt about the steering. I wanted to judge for myself. I'm fine with not feeling every bump in the road, but there was definitely more play in it then i would have liked. Perhaps not a deal breaker. The car turned well, firmly planted on the ground on tight fast turns.

What I didn't like at all was the delay in acceleration. This was surprising to me, as I didn't see any posts or reviews mentioning it. When I pressed on the gas, it took some time for the car to respond, and catch-up. Not what i expected from a BMW. My audi or the 3series that i test drove the week before doesn't have this issue.

The CA discounted it as a characteristic of bigger cars, and its more noticeable coming from my A4. <shrug>. he also mentioned that the sport package wouldn't address the lag, but the 550 might. I honestly don't think he was trying to upsell, just stating the facts as he saw them.

He also said if i compared with the A6, I'd appreciate the 535. Whatever.

I walked out disappointed, and wondering what my next move might be. I have no other car in mind at the moment.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I would test drive another 535i. BMW admits that there was a problem with the twin turbo engine used in the F10's predecessor and they are not using this engine on the new F10. I test drove two F10 vehicles before purchase and I did not notice any problems with acceleration (nor did I notice any pulling to the right reported by others). In fact, the vehicles that I test drove reached high rates of speed quite quickly. BMW rates the 535i as being able to accelerate from 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds, which is quite peppy. As previously stated, I would test drive another vehicle.

jimefam
10-23-2010, 08:51 PM
If you get the Sport Auto transmission it will improve throttle response as will the DHP I believe. The 550I will definitely fix that but I test drove the 535I right after driving the A6 and felt the 535I quicker so I think you just need to equip it correctly.

markl53
10-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Play in the steering? Something was wrong then. My F10 535i exhibits zero play in the steering, I have checked this so many times. Test the steering when parked. Watch the wheels as you turn the steering wheel 1 millimeter, then the other direction. Absolutely no play. As far as acceleration, try it again in DS mode. The start-off in D once in a while will have a very slight delay, though this seems to be gone now. The transmission "learns" your accelerator behavior over time.

richschneid
10-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Hi folks,

First post, but I've been lurking here for the past few weeks, learning about the F10.
The xdrive equipped cards finally made it to my local dealer, and i finally went to take a look and test drive.

Some impressions from a newbie.

My current car is an audi A4: 3.2
I never owned a BMW.

I like the look of the new 5 series, and features it offers. The Dakota leather looks a little simulated to me, but i can look past that.

The lack of spare tire bugs me, but i suppose I could tie a spare to the back of the drivers seat ;)

The stock stereo is weak. Maybe the premium is better.

The nav system looks really nice. Love the size, and clarity.
Ipod/iPhone integration with combox intrigues me

The drive... I drove the 535ix w/o sport package. I went in knowing full well how folks felt about the steering. I wanted to judge for myself. I'm fine with not feeling every bump in the road, but there was definitely more play in it then i would have liked. Perhaps not a deal breaker. The car turned well, firmly planted on the ground on tight fast turns.

What I didn't like at all was the delay in acceleration. This was surprising to me, as I didn't see any posts or reviews mentioning it. When I pressed on the gas, it took some time for the car to respond, and catch-up. Not what i expected from a BMW. My audi or the 3series that i test drove the week before doesn't have this issue.

The CA discounted it as a characteristic of bigger cars, and its more noticeable coming from my A4. <shrug>. he also mentioned that the sport package wouldn't address the lag, but the 550 might. I honestly don't think he was trying to upsell, just stating the facts as he saw them.

He also said if i compared with the A6, I'd appreciate the 535. Whatever.

I walked out disappointed, and wondering what my next move might be. I have no other car in mind at the moment.

The lag in acceleration you are experiencing is not the engine it is the throttle response. The throttle response is adjustable in cars with the DHP. My '06 650i had slow throttle repsonse in standard mode. Pushing the "sport" button on the console gave the car instant throttle response as well as higher shift points and increased steering effort. The F10 with DHP is even more adjustable.

Unfortunately, many posts on this blog have indicated that salespersons selling BMWs provide customers with enormous amounts of misinformation. Go back, or maybe to a different dealer, and road test a car with DHP and put it into sport mode to experience the difference in throttle response. It's pretty dramatic.

BimmerUKF10
10-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Deleted

sambb
10-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I would concur with the idea of disappointment. Between the terrible steering, and the turbocharged engines (google HPFP!), and the increased weight, the car has become more of a buick or lexus. On the flipside, the interior is nice, and from the back seat it is a nice ride. The prestige is still there. Drivers' car however? Most concur with reports from car and driver and consumer reports. Nevertheless, it will sell to a different kind of buyer than those who want a nimble sports sedan.

pharding
10-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Try a 535 with DHP and SAT. Use the Sport Setting on the DHP with the chassis and drivertrain both checked. It will yield the response that you are after.

bmrboy2008
10-24-2010, 07:55 AM
I would concur with the idea of disappointment. Between the terrible steering, and the turbocharged engines (google HPFP!), and the increased weight, the car has become more of a buick or lexus. On the flipside, the interior is nice, and from the back seat it is a nice ride. The prestige is still there. Drivers' car however? Most concur with reports from car and driver and consumer reports. Nevertheless, it will sell to a different kind of buyer than those who want a nimble sports sedan.

+1. However, in my case I test drove the F10 528i equipped with the SP and SAT, which no doubt pales in comparison to the 535i. The most notable downsides for me were the steering, smaller interior cabin, limited rear leg room and the all season RFT's. The 528i is definitely not a nimble sport sedan. I will go back to test drive a 535i with DHP and SAT to see if I have similar views.

JoeRoadster
10-24-2010, 09:13 AM
DHP + SAT... it's going to be difficult to find an 535ix with that configuration for a test drive, but I'll look into it.

It also adds quite a bit of cost:
- sport package: 2200
- dhp: 2700
- sport auto transmission: 500

$5400 above the config I was interested in (prem 1/2, conv, split seat), totaling: $67,600 MSRP.

Is that what I really need to pay to get a reasonably equipped 535ix which accelerates responsively?

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:18 AM

Please, give it a break already with the Buick thing. It's getting tedious already. If you find a Buick that feels like an F10 go buy it and save 20 grand.

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Try a 535 with DHP and SAT. Use the Sport Setting on the DHP with the chassis and drivertrain both checked. It will yield the response that you are after.

My base 535i has plenty of throttle response. As I said, in "D" mode I sometimes noticed a very slight delay in take-off but that is gone now. Actually, you might try driving a base 535i to see how the throttle works - very well indeed.

jimefam
10-24-2010, 09:29 AM
DHP + SAT... it's going to be difficult to find an 535ix with that configuration for a test drive, but I'll look into it.

$5400 above the config I was interested in (prem 1/2, conv, split seat), totaling: $67,600 MSRP.

Is that what I really need to pay to get a reasonably equipped 535ix which accelerates responsively?

Honestly, yes that's what it's gonna cost to get what your looking for. When I was comparing cars to decide which to buy I noticed the 5 series is about 8-10k more expensive than the Audi. In my opinion it was worth it but you may feel differently. Another thing to consider is test driving a 550i without all the sport packages you'll be around the same MSRP but you'll get the thrust your looking for(and then some) plus it may be more reliable than the 535(hpfp)

JoeRoadster
10-24-2010, 09:31 AM
My base 535i has plenty of throttle response. As I said, in "D" mode I sometimes noticed a very slight delay in take-off but that is gone now. Actually, you might try driving a base 535i to see how the throttle works - very well indeed.

I did drive a base model. It had xdrive, but not much more than that (I wouldn't consider a car without all-wheel drive, living in New England).

You're referring to "D" mode. Is there any other mode for an F10 which doesn't have a sport package?

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I did drive a base model. It had xdrive, but not much more than that (I wouldn't consider a car without all-wheel drive, living in New England).

You're referring to "D" mode. Is there any other mode for an F10 which doesn't have a sport package?

Yes. The standard steptronic transmission has 2 modes, "D" and "DS". DS is programmed in a more sporty manner -- basically it holds gears longer and seems quicker to downshift, probably because it's already revving higher. I find I use DS a lot when I'm not on the highway. I'm used to driving manuals, and they are typically driven at higher rpm levels. The "D" modes like to upshift quickly keeping revs low. Don't get me wrong, even in D the transmission is quick to downshift, but it is more sporting in DS. You move the shift lever to the left to engage DS and it is displayed on the dash. If you then move the shifter forward or back, that's how you engage manual shifting. My 535i in D mode likes to allow very low rpms when driving gently, almost down to 1000 rpm. That's why I suggest you try it again in DS, I think you'll find the response is better. There is also talk that D mode starts out in 2nd gear, I'm not convinced of this though I haven't really tried to prove it in my on 535i.

JoeRoadster
10-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Hmm, I thought that mode (DS) required manual shifting, but sounds like if you engage it but don't shift it, it offers a sportier automatic shifting mode.

The way you describe it though, it doesn't sound like it addresses the throttle response (see learned a new term) issue I raised, but rather the gear shift thresholds.

jimefam
10-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Hmm, I thought that mode (DS) required manual shifting, but sounds like if you engage it but don't shift it, it offers a sportier automatic shifting mode.

The way you describe it though, it doesn't sound like it addresses the throttle response (see learned a new term) issue I raised, but rather the gear shift thresholds.

Exactly right, in DS the car will feel more sporty because its constantly in a higher RPM and shifts later. You wont feel as much lag because the turbo will be spooled up already. For all intents and purposes though it will feel better than in D.

bmrboy2008
10-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Exactly right, in DS the car will feel more sporty because its constantly in a higher RPM and shifts later. You wont feel as much lag because the turbo will be spooled up already. For all intents and purposes though it will feel better than in D.

I totally agree. The difference in the throttle response between D and DS modes on my 2008 535i is phenomenal. I look forward to trying it out on the F10 535i.

Munich77
10-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Good news is that most people don't pay MSRP. For that price you might as well consider the 550 xi.

nealh
10-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Unfortunately.

I have a 08 650i and the lag is the transmission. Regular D has an awful lag, but this gone in Sport modes...but gas mileage sucks in a big way.

Ivo Andric
10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
> When I pressed on the gas, it took some time for the car to respond, and catch-up.

That's what I noticed as well. Takes time for turbo to spool up.
The alternative is to keep it in higher revs range (e.g. sport mode)
This is the main reason that I am going to go with either 550i or 550xi.

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm really confused now...

Went to a different dealer, and test drove a different F10:

- 535i
- Sport package (not M)
- Sport AT w/shift paddles

No xdrive.

This car performed much better, even without playing with the sport modes.
Steering seemed tighter, and throttle response seemed better.

Running DS and sport or sport+ did deliver additional sport feeling.

So either the last car was a dud, or xdrive is having a negative impact on performance, or the sport package has a positive impact on performance, or I'm in a better mood, or all or some combination of the above.

Beats me.
More test drives are in order, methinks.

DXK
10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm really confused now...

Went to a different dealer, and test drove a different F10:

- 535i
- Sport package (not M)
- Sport AT w/shift paddles

No xdrive.

This car performed much better, even without playing with the sport modes.
Steering seemed tighter, and throttle response seemed better.
Running DS and sport or sport+ did deliver additional sport feeling.

So either the last car was a dud, or xdrive is having a negative impact on performance, or the sport package has a positive impact on performance, or I'm in a better mood, or all or some combination of the above.

Beats me.
More test drives are in order, methinks.
As described in the other thread, the sport auto does what you just described, that's why it's an important option.

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 06:40 PM
As described in the other thread, the sport auto does what you just described, that's why it's an important option.

Oh yeah... or the Sport AT w/shift paddles is having a positive impact on performance.

Hmm, I'll have to reread that thread. The CA said it was just paddles.
If the impact is attributable to Sport AT, why doesn't it come included in the M Sport package?
It seems, if you're going to pay $6500 (MSRP) for this, you should get all the performance features.

DXK
10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
What dealership are you working with here if you don't mind me asking?
I don't know why it's not included, but this is why instead of paying for M pack, I've select only options that affect performance.

richschneid
10-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah... or the Sport AT w/shift paddles is having a positive impact on performance.

If the impact is attributable to Sport AT, why doesn't it come included in the M Sport package?
It seems, if you're going to pay $6500 (MSRP) for this, you should get all the performance features.

Each feature adds to the performance characteristics. These include the DHP, sport package, sport transmission. Also, in the RWD cars the integral active four wheel steering adds to the handling ability. In xDrive cars the IAS is not available but the torque vectoring improves handling by shifting torque from rear to front in high speed turns and almost eliminates understeer.

The $6500 M sport package includes some of these but not all. The only other feature of the M sport package is the cosmetic additions to the car. The additional cost of this compared to buying the other features individually is only $1100 which is what you pay for the cosmetic features.

Do not depend on the saleman. They do not know what you need to know. The only way you will get a handle on this is to go to the BMW website and click on "Build your own" and read the features of all the packages and options. It is www.bmwusa.com. You can mix and match your packages and options.

I got everything on my car except for the cosmetic M sport stuff, the rear entertainment, and the ski bag. Everthing BMW sells in the performance add on's will improve the performance of the vehicle despite what some people may say. You get what you pay for. The V8 is a completely different vehicle from the turbo 6, but the 6 is also a great car.

Good luck. :thumbup:

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Good points made here.

Further clarity on the SAT that I found helpful is here (thanks for the pointer DXK):
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416668

Rich, you're right, you cannot rely on on the salesfolk (which is why I'm here). You also cannot rely on "build your own", as in this case it just looked like a paddle shifter option available for all configs.

I've been working the numbers, and you're right that the extra ~1k for the M sport is cosmetic stuff. Personally, i don't like the M rims. The anthracite headliner is nice, but not necessary. The front bumper is more aggressive looking... That I like (but not for the money).

Anyway, the 535 is back in the running for my money.
Not sure if I need DHP, but sport + SAT seems necessary (even if I don't like the look of the paddles).

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
What dealership are you working with here if you don't mind me asking?

I'd rather not say. I'm bound to make remarks about a dealer or CA that I'm working with, and I don't want to tarnish anyones business and/or character. Unless they somehow manage to screw me ;)

DXK
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I understand, but if they do try to screw you, I can recommend you someone else.
As long as you understand that if you don't select DHP, you will now have adjustable suspension or ARS for better cornering.

raleedy
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Funny how subjective some of these things are. It seems to be generally understood that the xDrive cars have hydraulic steering, not the electric steering of the RWD cars. It's the electric steering that has been criticized so heavily, yet the OP here had a problem with the xDrive's hydraulic steering.
And it helps, I think, to understand that the normal AT start from rest is second gear. 1st gear is engaged with deeper accelerator press or using DS mode or manual shift.
Without understanding these things, it's difficult to have a useful test drive.

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 09:30 PM
My current thinking is that "I don't know that I need DHP".
with my test drive my issues were with the play in the steering and response time delay with throttle acceleration.
SAT seems to address that.

Cornering seemed very good to me.
But then I didn't hit the track (nor will I).

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Funny how subjective some of these things are. It seems to be generally understood that the xDrive cars have hydraulic steering, not the electric steering of the RWD cars. It's the electric steering that has been criticized so heavily, yet the OP here had a problem with the xDrive's hydraulic steering.

Thats a good point.
I guess what I reported today (in part) is that the electric steering with SAT felt good to me (RWD).
What I reported previously was that he hydraulic streering w/o SAT had play (AWD).

So I guess I really need to drive an xdrive with SAT.
We'll see if that combo makes it to the dealership.

JoeRoadster
10-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I can recommend you someone else.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me a recommendation and any info you care to share about the dealer.

tdepetra
10-25-2010, 09:54 PM
And it helps, I think, to understand that the normal AT start from rest is second gear. 1st gear is engaged with deeper accelerator press or using DS mode or manual shift.
Without understanding these things, it's difficult to have a useful test drive.

Absolutely spot on. My 2011 535 x-drive has none of the sport/ handling options and all luxury stuff, but after 5 days of figuring it all out, there are zero numb or dead steering issues and in DS mode, it's a completely different car.

Biggest challenge is keeping RPMs in check during break in. It wants to fly. With the 2nd gear start and shift programming, the D shift mode is all about getting into the highest gear as quickly as possible to conserve fuel. It takes some learning from the car (transmission) and driver, but everything smooths out after a few days and there is no hesitation or lurching in stop and go traffic like the first day.

bm323
10-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Absolutely spot on. My 2011 535 x-drive has none of the sport/ handling options and all luxury stuff, but after 5 days of figuring it all out, there are zero numb or dead steering issues and in DS mode, it's a completely different car.

Biggest challenge is keeping RPMs in check during break in. It wants to fly. With the 2nd gear start and shift programming, the D shift mode is all about getting into the highest gear as quickly as possible to conserve fuel. It takes some learning from the car (transmission) and driver, but everything smooths out after a few days and there is no hesitation or lurching in stop and go traffic like the first day.

Have you tested the 535i back to back with the xDrive version, with same handling options, and if so what's the difference pls?

NewbimmerMD
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Good points made here.

Further clarity on the SAT that I found helpful is here (thanks for the pointer DXK):
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416668

Rich, you're right, you cannot rely on on the salesfolk (which is why I'm here). You also cannot rely on "build your own", as in this case it just looked like a paddle shifter option available for all configs.

I've been working the numbers, and you're right that the extra ~1k for the M sport is cosmetic stuff. Personally, i don't like the M rims. The anthracite headliner is nice, but not necessary. The front bumper is more aggressive looking... That I like (but not for the money).

Anyway, the 535 is back in the running for my money.
Not sure if I need DHP, but sport + SAT seems necessary (even if I don't like the look of the paddles).

I've read your thread and I just took delivery of a 535xi with the DHP, Sports package, SAT, Prem 1&2, Cold package and split fold down rear seat and wanted to give you my impressions of the car. Maybe it will help with your decision. I upgraded from a 2007 335xi which I LOVED but wanted something a little bigger and more luxurious. Like you I did A LOT of research and scoured the car reviews and all the various forums before I ordered one. I think if your not willing to go with the M-sport package and you want to address some of your concerns about acceleration & handling then you really need the DHP, SAT and the sport package. DHP to stiffen up your suspension in sport mode and enhance your offline acceleration but most of all you want the Active Roll Stabilization that comes with that package. This is a big car. If you want it to corner/handle like a smaller one you need the ARS. Mine corners very flat in the twisties and curves. SAT for the enhanced, quicker, shifting points. I have not noticed any hesitation/lag when I hit the accelerator and the power delivery is very smooth and linear. And finally the Sport package for the 19" wheels which with there lower profile also firms up the ride and road feel. I wish the car did not come with All-season tires. Would have much preferred the summer performance tires and wider rear tires that comes with the non-Xi 535i's sports package. So far I LOVE the car but I definitely had to option it up to get some of that old 3 series tossability flavor that I loved so much. This car is definitely more of a luxury tourer then the old E60's but I think that is the direction BMW wanted to move in. If you have the means, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to get one.

HPIA4v2
10-26-2010, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the crazy world of BMW option, the m-sport is mostly cosmetic except for higher top speed.

Not sure now, but in the past all AWD (xi) BMW doesn't come with ARS and sport suspension, they'll sit about 1" higher than RWD BMW. The driving dynamics are way different between the two. So don't test the RWD and thinks the xi will be similar, not to mention around 225lb heavier for xi. Just to point out why you like your second test drive compares to first.

If I were you go get the 550xi with less options, this kinda engine is not available in regular Benz or Audi models. Not to mention Dinan has S/W that pushes it to 500HP, you need RS6 or E63 to get this kinda power (and no fuel pump problem to deal with, if only this V8 TT was available in 2008).

richschneid
10-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the crazy world of BMW option, the m-sport is mostly cosmetic except for higher top speed.

Not sure now, but in the past all AWD (xi) BMW doesn't come with ARS and sport suspension, they'll sit about 1" higher than RWD BMW. The driving dynamics are way different between the two. So don't test the RWD and thinks the xi will be similar, not to mention around 225lb heavier for xi. Just to point out why you like your second test drive compares to first.

If I were you go get the 550xi with less options, this kinda engine is not available in regular Benz or Audi models. Not to mention Dinan has S/W that pushes it to 500HP, you need RS6 or E63 to get this kinda power (and no fuel pump problem to deal with, if only this V8 TT was available in 2008).

My 2011 550i xDrive is equipped with ARS and DHP. The car only weighs 150 lbs more than the RWD version. The xDrive system is a completely new and different system than the old xi system you are referring to. I suggest you check the BMW website to confirm this: www.bmwusa.com. I tested the RWD 550i before I got my 550i xDrive version. They drive pretty much the same. I like the xDrive version better because the handling is more stable and it is faster off the line even though it weighs a little more.

The only thing I don't like about the xDrive version is the all season tires. Since I use four dedicated performance winter tires, I think I'm going to replace the all seasons with max performance summer tires for use during the warm months.

kocsis
10-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Rich, are you contemplating ROF summer tires? Or taking your chances with "normal" tires and no spare? I just hate to throw away brand new all-season tires....
Also, will you get 4 identical tires, or staggered (wider) rears? The AWD doesn't require all 4 tires to be the same...I have a Porsche C4S and it has wider rear tires.

kssod
10-26-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree, I also tested a 535i after they first came out, and did not like the throttle response. There seemed top be a disconnect between the pedal position and the feel of acceleration. Did not know how to get into a sport mode other than manual auto. My RL is by no measure quick but at least when I press the pedal down I don't feel like I have to wait for the afterburners to spool up. Maybe, since it is a learning automatic it will adjust after a while.

richschneid
10-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Rich, are you contemplating ROF summer tires? Or taking your chances with "normal" tires and no spare? I just hate to throw away brand new all-season tires....
Also, will you get 4 identical tires, or staggered (wider) rears? The AWD doesn't require all 4 tires to be the same...I have a Porsche C4S and it has wider rear tires.

The OE tires on my '06 650i sport package were Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFTs. These were rated Max Performance summer tires by the Tirerack. These are great tires and I'm going to consider them or the newer version for my 550i xDrive.

I see no reason for different sizes front and rear given the instantaneous nature of the torque vectoring rear to front with the xDrive. I don't know if the torque distribution on your Porsche was fixed or variable. I think some of the Audi products AWD are a fixed distribution 60/40 or 40/60. That might be why the rear tires were wider.

For the winter I have just ordered Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-25 RFT performance winter tires. I will not use non RFTs under any circumstances, since I don't go to the track.

I, too, am concerned about throwing away perfectly good brand new all season tires. I may just store them and put them on when I sell the car in five six years if they aren't too old by then. I'll ask my dealer if he can sell them as replacement tires to other customers over time. In any case, I don't have to decide until the spring.

richschneid
10-26-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree, I also tested a 535i after they first came out, and did not like the throttle response. There seemed top be a disconnect between the pedal position and the feel of acceleration. Did not know how to get into a sport mode other than manual auto. My RL is by no measure quick but at least when I press the pedal down I don't feel like I have to wait for the afterburners to spool up. Maybe, since it is a learning automatic it will adjust after a while.

If you just put the shift lever into it's left sided position the car will still be in drive. It will only go into manual mode if you actually shift it up or down. The is "DS" mode and the throttle response should be faster and you don't have to shift manually.

NewbimmerMD
10-26-2010, 02:38 PM
The OE tires on my '06 650i sport package were Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFTs. These were rated Max Performance summer tires by the Tirerack. These are great tires and I'm going to consider them or the newer version for my 550i xDrive.

I see no reason for different sizes front and rear given the instantaneous nature of the torque vectoring rear to front with the xDrive. I don't know if the torque distribution on your Porsche was fixed or variable. I think some of the Audi products AWD are a fixed distribution 60/40 or 40/60. That might be why the rear tires were wider.

For the winter I have just ordered Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-25 RFT performance winter tires. I will not use non RFTs under any circumstances, since I don't go to the track.

I, too, am concerned about throwing away perfectly good brand new all season tires. I may just store them and put them on when I sell the car in five six years if they aren't too old by then. I'll ask my dealer if he can sell them as replacement tires to other customers over time. In any case, I don't have to decide until the spring.

I agree. I had those Bridgestones Potenza's on my 335xi and they were great. Very quiet, stuck like glue. Wear out a little quickly though. Am thinking getting them for my 535xi and using the Goodyear Eagle Allseasons that came with the car in the winter. Our winters aren't too bad here in DC so doubt I'll invest in dedicated snowtires.

richschneid
10-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree. I had those Bridgestones Potenza's on my 335xi and they were great. Very quiet, stuck like glue. Wear out a little quickly though. Am thinking getting them for my 535xi and using the Goodyear Eagle Allseasons that came with the car in the winter. Our winters aren't too bad here in DC so doubt I'll invest in dedicated snowtires.

Most summer tires at that level of performance tend to wear out quickly because the tread compound has to be a little softer to grip better. Also, the reason for the quiet and good ride is a little softer tread compound. But when you spend this much on a car I think spending a little more on tires is worth it. In fact, I have always said the most important performance part of any car is tires.

I wish I could rely on the all seasons here in Pittsburgh or driving to NY in February through the mountains in central Pa. My wife had all seasons when she got her Accord a few years ago. She didn't have too much trouble going forward, but she would slide down the hill on our street in the snow when trying to stop. That happened once and I put four Blizzaks on her car. Now it goes like a snowmobile and stops just as well. She uses the all seasons in the summer.

I had four Dunlop Wintersport M3s on my 650i. They were okay but not great in the snow. That's why I'm switching to Blizzaks with my new car, just the high performance RFT versions.