PDA

View Full Version : iPod option

mzwicker
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I bought the iPod option for my new 535. The dealer told me that it does not come with a cable. Is that really true?

markl53
10-23-2010, 09:55 PM
The old iPod/USB connector came with a special "Y" connector. There were two parts to the connection. The new one (as of September) doesn't require the second part of the cable (the "Y") so a standard USB cable is used. Yes, I believe I read that they therefore deleted the cable as part of the option.

mzwicker
10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks.

pharding
10-23-2010, 10:08 PM
You just use the standard cable that comes with the iPod. Much cheaper and much better.

richschneid
10-24-2010, 04:27 AM
I bought the iPod option for my new 535. The dealer told me that it does not come with a cable. Is that really true?

My iPod adapter DEFINITELY came with the two pronged cable. When the salesman got into the car with me he looked for the cable in my car and it wasn't there. He went inside and found that the cable had been misplaced in the preparation area. In all probability your cable has been lost inside your dealership and they are misleading you. I suggest you call BMW customer service first thing tomorrow morning.

The iPod adapter definitely comes with the cable. I know that for sure because I have it.

BimmerUKF10
10-24-2010, 04:58 AM
I think the setup was changed to use the Apple USB lead in cars manufactured after September. Prior to that you needed a two prong cable.

mzwicker
10-24-2010, 05:30 AM
I had a September manufacture date, and I don't need the two prong plug, does the apple plug come with the car?

I assume from what I've read so far, only the two prong plugs come with the car.

goodmanal
10-24-2010, 05:34 AM
I had a September manufacture date, and I don't need the two prong plug, does the apple plug come with the car?

I assume from what I've read so far, only the two prong plugs come with the car.

As of September only the cable that comes with the iPod is needed. You don't need the Y cable, therefore it is not supplied by BMW.

mzwicker
10-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-24-2010, 05:49 AM
I have a week 37 production which I picked up yesterday (10-23-10) and which has the ipod option (it was part of a package). Last night I wanted to use my ipod, but I could not find the connection wire. Instead all I found were two jacks located in the center compartment. I then went to the online manual, which showed a diagram of what I saw in my vehicle. The manual also said that you have to purchase a wire from the BMW service center. This leads me to conclude the vehicle (even with the ipod option) does not come with a wire. I do not know if the wire that you need is the same "Y" shaped wire that we have in our 2010 X5.

goodmanal
10-24-2010, 05:52 AM
One of the jacks is a USB connector. You just plug the Apple iPod USB connector into it. You don't have to buy a "wire" from BMW.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-24-2010, 06:01 AM
One of the jacks is a USB connector. You just plug the Apple iPod USB connector into it. You don't have to buy a "wire" from BMW.

Great, that makes is easier since you do not have to go back to the dealer and buy additional equipment (the wire). However, BMW should update its online manual to state this because, in my quick review of the manual, it said to go to the service center to get the wire.

richschneid
10-24-2010, 07:48 AM
My car was built from Sept 6th to 8th. The iPod adapter cost $150 list and my car came with the y cable. My iPod is controlled by the car via the dash display. Plugging it into the car using the "y" adapter cable totally disables all the controls on the iPod itself. Therefore, I question if you use only the single cable iPod connector cable if you lose some of the ability to control the iPod using only the car controls.

BimmerUKF10
10-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Not at all! The difference is that using the old Y cable method, the audio is converted to analogue in the iPod and the analogue signal is sent to the f60's stereo (hence the need for the 3.5mm jack). The new system transmits the signal to the audio system in digital form. The conversion to analogue happens in the car systems - not in the iPod. Assuming the BMW DAC's are better than the iPod's this may arguably produce better quality sound. I've never done a back to back comparison myself to verify this, but it's certainly the theory!

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:13 AM
As of September only the cable that comes with the iPod is needed. You don't need the Y cable, therefore it is not supplied by BMW.

Wow, I said all this and gave the right answer yesterday.

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:14 AM
My iPod adapter DEFINITELY came with the two pronged cable. When the salesman got into the car with me he looked for the cable in my car and it wasn't there. He went inside and found that the cable had been misplaced in the preparation area. In all probability your cable has been lost inside your dealership and they are misleading you. I suggest you call BMW customer service first thing tomorrow morning.

The iPod adapter definitely comes with the cable. I know that for sure because I have it.

Not anymore Rich. Read the other replies. They got rid of the need for the two-pronged cable with September builds. Someone had provided this information long ago when the September changes were detailed. The salesperson probably found "a" cable, not yours and gave it to you. Try plugging just your normal iPod cable into the USB and see what happens.

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:15 AM
I have a week 37 production which I picked up yesterday (10-23-10) and which has the ipod option (it was part of a package). Last night I wanted to use my ipod, but I could not find the connection wire. Instead all I found were two jacks located in the center compartment. I then went to the online manual, which showed a diagram of what I saw in my vehicle. The manual also said that you have to purchase a wire from the BMW service center. This leads me to conclude the vehicle (even with the ipod option) does not come with a wire. I do not know if the wire that you need is the same "Y" shaped wire that we have in our 2010 X5.

No, you still get the analog jack when you get the iPod interface. You just plug your iPod cable into the USB. That's it. If you have some other device (non-USB), then you use the regular 3.5mm mini jack.

carnuts3
10-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but I'd like to ask a related question... My 328 does not have a USB port for an ipod. Is there an adaptor that I could buy that would enable an ipod to be played in my car?

markl53
10-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but I'd like to ask a related question... My 328 does not have a USB port for an ipod. Is there an adaptor that I could buy that would enable an ipod to be played in my car?

Do you have a standard MP3 input jack? Your iPod should also have a mini output jack. I use a standard 3.5mm male-to-male cable to plug my iPod into the MP3 jack. You will need to control playback from the iPod itself as opposed to being integrated into your car's audio system.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
O.K., here is the deal. I just did a test with the ipod and my new F10. All you have to do is hook up the ipod to the F10 via the USB cable that came with your ipod. Once you do that, you get the BMW logo on your ipod and the ipod is controlled by the F10. As to how it sounds, let's just say . . . AWESOME!!!

richschneid
10-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Not anymore Rich. Read the other replies. They got rid of the need for the two-pronged cable with September builds. Someone had provided this information long ago when the September changes were detailed. The salesperson probably found "a" cable, not yours and gave it to you. Try plugging just your normal iPod cable into the USB and see what happens.

The sound from my iPod at 256kbs heard through my car system is the best digital sound I have ever heard. So, I will try just using the normal iPod cable into the USB port in the car and see what happens. I'll also do a direct comparison of the sound and see if I can hear a difference. Maybe the DACs in the car are better than in the iPod as suggested by UK above. It would be interesting to see if they are less good. I'll also see if the controls change in any way.

Thanks for all the info.

markl53
10-24-2010, 04:43 PM
The sound from my iPod at 256kbs heard through my car system is the best digital sound I have ever heard. So, I will try just using the normal iPod cable into the USB port in the car and see what happens. I'll also do a direct comparison of the sound and see if I can hear a difference. Maybe the DACs in the car are better than in the iPod as suggested by UK above. It would be interesting to see if they are less good. I'll also see if the controls change in any way.

Thanks for all the info.

Cool. I think plugging in the 2nd part of the cable (mini jack) is probably redundant on your car, it probably isn't doing anything since they made it USB-only connectivity. Let us know what happens.

richschneid
10-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Just did a careful AB comparison of single cable vs y connector. Functionality is the same. The sound is almost identical. I had to listen to the same parts of the same song about 4 times with each cable. I finally was able to hear a miniscule improvement using the single USB cable. I think this is accurate because I was predisposed to think the y connector would be better because the sound is so fantastic with it. So, I'm just going to use the single cable from now on and leave the y connector in the glove box as a backup. Thanks for all the input. My car just keeps getting better and better the longer I drive it.

BTW, the acceleration with the xDrive from a standing start is flawless. Just goes with no wheel slippage whatsoever. With 450 lb ft of torque at only 1750 rpm this is amazing. The sense of control over the car and directional stability is better than with just RWD. This is true both in curves and on the straight. WOW! Sorry, for getting off topic, but I just drove the car.

stevem12t2
10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
don't forget if you have a new generation ipod touch or iphone you will also experiance ALBUM ARTWORK and other ipod-out features. Not to mention the classics if you are using them have a spinning disk. The ipod touch 64gb with 4.1 Apple OS has memory not a disk. The read-write time is quicker for changing songs, playlists, or finding artists and so on. Anyone out there try it? I pick up my f10 Saturday but tried it out today. Very nice feature!

NewbimmerMD
10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I've noticed that that the Y-cable may be required for some of the older Ipods. I have several Nano's. Using only the standard Ipod cable worked for my 4th generation Ipod Nano. My 3rd generation Nano required an old Y-cable I had to connect to the stereo. Not sure if the same applies to older Ipod classics or Iphones.

richschneid
10-26-2010, 04:56 PM
don't forget if you have a new generation ipod touch or iphone you will also experiance ALBUM ARTWORK and other ipod-out features. Not to mention the classics if you are using them have a spinning disk. The ipod touch 64gb with 4.1 Apple OS has memory not a disk. The read-write time is quicker for changing songs, playlists, or finding artists and so on. Anyone out there try it? I pick up my f10 Saturday but tried it out today. Very nice feature!

My wife gave me a new iPod Classic to use with my new car. It has 160 GB capacity. I get the Album Artwork displayed on the Nav screen in my car for each song. Does this mean it has the 4.1 Apple OS? Is this what you are referring to? If so, it works great.

Stanesq
10-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Does anyone have screenshots of what their apple looks like connected? I am curious to see it on the screen. Thx

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I have an ipod classic. I have not taken any pictures of it hooked up to the F10, but I have observed that, when the ipod is connected to the F10 via the USB cable that came with the ipod, the screen of the ipod displays a BMW logo. From this point, you can operate the ipod with the F10. The sound of the music played from the ipod sounds superior to the Sirius radio. When playing an album from the ipod, the album cover displays on the center screen of the F10.

FPNY
10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
funny how i didnt get the cable needed to hook my ipod up. i called my ca he says he is "looking" for one. did you guys all get the required cables?

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
funny how i didnt get the cable needed to hook my ipod up. i called my ca he says he is "looking" for one. did you guys all get the required cables?

According to the online manual, the F10 no longer comes with a wire. The online manual goes on to say that you should go to the BMW service center to purchase a wire. However, other posts have indicated that the "Y" wire is no longer used and that you simply use the USB wire that comes with your ipod. Following the posts, I hooked up my ipod to the F10 via the USB wire that came with the ipod. The F10 controlled the ipod and the music sounded awesome.

FPNY
10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
i hooked up my ipod with the usb cable and nothing happened, the ipod just said do not disconnect.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
i hooked up my ipod with the usb cable and nothing happened, the ipod just said do not disconnect.

That is odd. Did you attempt to operate the ipod with your vehicle to see if it would work?

richschneid
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Read your owner's manual to learn how to use the iPod in your car. You do it through the iDrive.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Here is a picture of what the screen of the ipod should look like. You get a BMW logo and its says ok to disconnect below the logo. You do not operate the ipod with the buttons of the ipod. Rather, once it is connected to the F10, you use the F10 to control the ipod. I apologize for the bad quality photo, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.

markl53
10-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Your car was built after September 1, right (I think)? So, as we said earlier, the dual connection cable is no longer needed, just USB. If your iPod says "do not disconnect", I think it's connected, right? That's what mine says in my house when I've connected it.

FPNY
10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Here is a picture of what the screen of the ipod should look like. You get a BMW logo and its says ok to disconnect below the logo. You do not operate the ipod with the buttons of the ipod. Rather, once it is connected to the F10, you use the F10 to control the ipod. I apologize for the bad quality photo, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.

I just got my car yesterday, I will try again in the morning. Thanks for going thru all that trouble!

FPNY
10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Your car was built after September 1, right (I think)? So, as we said earlier, the dual connection cable is no longer needed, just USB. If your iPod says "do not disconnect", I think it's connected, right? That's what mine says in my house when I've connected it.

Yes I guess I should have been clearer, it does say do not disconnect, but I could only get the ipod to ply via the ipod buttons themselves. No idrive controls.

NewbimmerMD
10-26-2010, 08:02 PM

What type of I-pod are your trying to hook-up ? This is what happened when I tried to hook an older 3rd generation Nano but was still not playable. I had to use the Y cable with this older Ipod. try a Y-cable or try a newer model I-pod.

FPNY
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
What type of I-pod are your trying to hook-up ? This is what happened when I tried to hook an older 3rd generation Nano but was still not playable. I had to use the Y cable with this older Ipod. try a Y-cable or try a newer model I-pod.

I'm thinking this is my issue, old ipod. I tried the usb cable and the wire I used in the aux jack of my 08 535, but that didn't work. I'll try to locate this y cable somewhere.

NewbimmerMD
10-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking this is my issue, old ipod. I tried the usb cable and the wire I used in the aux jack of my 08 535, but that didn't work. I'll try to locate this y cable somewhere.

You can get then from your dealership. I'm sure your sales rep will give you one for free. Mine had a whole drawer full of them and just gave me one. If the Y-cable still doesn't work then I'm afraid you just might have to upgrade to a newer I-pod. The iOS in those older Ipods might not be compatible with this newer version of I-drive.

markl53
10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
You can get then from your dealership. I'm sure your sales rep will give you one for free. Mine had a whole drawer full of them and just gave me one. If the Y-cable still doesn't work then I'm afraid you just might have to upgrade to a newer I-pod. The iOS in those older Ipods might not be compatible with this newer version of I-drive.

Even if you try a Y-Cable, due to the change in circuitry with the September builds, I doubt the 2nd connection will even do anything. I guess you could try though, but see what I mean? They changed the connectivity to work through the single standard iPod cable.

FPNY
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I got the y cable, hooked it up and the ipod works beautifully. I got it to shuffle the music, but the playlist still shows everything in alphabetical order. I can live with that. The BMW logo came up on the ipod screen, just as described in an earlier post, I didn't figure out how to skip a selection yet tho. Live and learn seems to be the motto with a new bimmer.

richschneid
10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I got the y cable, hooked it up and the ipod works beautifully. I got it to shuffle the music, but the playlist still shows everything in alphabetical order. I can live with that. The BMW logo came up on the ipod screen, just as described in an earlier post, I didn't figure out how to skip a selection yet tho. Live and learn seems to be the motto with a new bimmer.

There are right and left arrow buttons just to the right of the CD player. Push the button on the right to skip a song.

FPNY
10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks!

LandsharkBMW
10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I just picked up my September build 328, and when I got home my old Ipod classic didn't work. I tried the wife's new nano and it worked.. so like what was said above it must be something with the older ipods. Hmmmm... 6FL cable or new ipod...

ihumphrey
10-28-2010, 05:28 AM

Can't you just update the OS on the older ipods to make them work?

Stanesq
10-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Can't you just update the OS on the older ipods to make them work?

How would apple sell new Ipods then?

rarco
10-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi, did anyone have to do anything special to see album art (covers) ?

stevem12t2
10-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Covers work great... ipod touch or iphone (ios 4.1) connected with the cable that came from apple just plugged into the center console usb leaving the headphone jack empty.

Raarco
10-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Looks like you guys got the album art and I can't get it that part working. Tried both types of cables. What am I doing wrong ?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

2008550I
10-31-2010, 04:16 AM

As much as we pay for these cars, they can't throw in an iPod cable? Mine came with one and I would've raised holy hell if it didn't.....:(

rarco
10-31-2010, 12:54 PM
This discussion on IPOD is very helpful. I notice that each time I get in the car it seems the IPOD needs to reload the data to the car.. What is actually happening during this period ? and the album art is spotty , sometimes its there nd sometimes not..