PDA

View Full Version : Terrible comfort access in f10

rka2010
10-24-2010, 08:59 AM
I have made some videos showing how badly comfort access works on the new bmw 2011 5 series f10. My opinion is that there are defects in the system. BMW says the system works fine, but I just have to be patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yaqsoefDxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG2skfmROQk

Whats your opinion defect or incorrect use?

markl53
10-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I had CA in my previous '08 335i and it worked fine. First, it's not meant to be used over and over in the fashion you are displaying. It seemed like the system was possibly getting confused by attempting to activate it many times in short sequence. Two questions -- how does it work for you as a "single event", when you actually walk up to the car to unlock it or when you get out to lock it? Second, where was the key fob? We can't tell in the video. Maybe it was 25 feet away and you're just trying to say there's an issue. Maybe the key fob is in a some type of enclosure that is preventing it from properly transmitting its presence. There are several possibilities.

Personally, CA was not worth its price on my 535i, mostly because the keyless start provided by my (only $500) CA on the 335i is now a standard feature. For $1000 I can press the button on the key fob myself. But that's just me. If BMW charged less rather than more for the reduced value of the new F10 CA I probably would have gotten it again.

pharding
10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
The function was not designed to be used like you are attempting to use it. It worked great on my E60. Comfort access works fine on 3 doors of my new F10 550i. Unfortunately the lock function does not work at all on the driver's door. They are going to replace that sensor.

rka2010
10-24-2010, 11:25 AM
The key is in my pocket. The system works 80% of the time in dayly use. I come from a Audi A4 that worked 100%, even when doing as on the video. Normally I can open the door every time. Its the closing that works 80%.

markl53
10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
The key is in my pocket. The system works 80% of the time in dayly use. I come from a Audi A4 that worked 100%, even when doing as on the video. Normally I can open the door every time. Its the closing that works 80%.

I guess it needs a check by the dealer. Since I don't have it on my F10 I can only speak to its operation on my previous 335i which was 99.99%. Hopefully there is something they can adjust or check. Is it the same no matter which handle you use?

eyesight1
10-24-2010, 11:45 AM
We debated and debated as to getting CA or not. Finally, after learning Keyless Go was standard and CA only affected opening the doors we decided against it. Would be cool to have, but I would not tolerate it being ineffective.

johnbmw6
10-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I have this on my E90 M3 it works OK, I have NOT ordered it with the M-Sport F10 550i, it just is not worth it, the car is "Keyless start" so just use the key fob to get in and out.

rka2010
10-24-2010, 01:25 PM
is it the same no matter which handle you use?
YES, but i have observed that a double click works like 95% when locking. Like the system needs to know where ground is.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I have reviewed your videos. I think that this may be a case of incorrect use. The way I understand it, you really do not have to place your finger on the handle to get the system to work. I have comfort access on my new F10 and I just tested the system. All you do is reach to open the door and, as your hand approaches the handle, the door unlocks as you grab it and then you open the door. You do all of this in one fluid motion without hesitating. You might be confusing the system by holding your hand next to the door without doing anything. If your door does not unlock using the method that I have suggested, I would have the dealer check your car out. I do not think the system has a design defect because, if it did, mine would not work either. Hope this helps. Good luck.

markl53
10-24-2010, 01:52 PM
When I had CA on my 335i, I had to keep the key in the car when I was washing it. The water hitting the handle would lock the doors! (Keeping the key in the car prevented it from locking).

johnbmw6
10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
When I had CA on my 335i, I had to keep the key in the car when I was washing it. The water hitting the handle would lock the doors! (Keeping the key in the car prevented it from locking).Yep mine does this also, have to put the key away from the car while washing it.

markl53
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Yep mine does this also, have to put the key away from the car while washing it.

I used to keep it inside the house, then realized I could just leave it on the seat in the car -- it won't lock with the key inside. Then I don't have to go in and get the key when I'm done, it's already in the car.

gEEkChris
10-24-2010, 04:08 PM
My '08 335 acts very similar to your video. It pretty much alway unlocks reliably, but when I get out and go to lock it I would say it only works 40% of the time on the first try.

I have noticed that if I use my other hand to push the key that is in my pocket against my body that the reliability of locking seems to go up. I am skinny and therefore my pants are never tight so it would be interesting if the failure rate is proportional to body size and/or loose fitting pants.

richschneid
10-24-2010, 04:32 PM
It works 100% of the time so far on my 550i. Sometimes I have to put my thumb over the sensor twice to lock it however.

rka2010
10-24-2010, 04:40 PM
My '08 335 acts very similar to your video. It pretty much alway unlocks reliably, but when I get out and go to lock it I would say it only works 40% of the time on the first try.

It is exactly how my react too. Unbelievable that BMW has not gotten some feedback in 2 years (2008). Or maybe they just deaf. I come from an Audi A4 2008 with comfort access which just worked 100%

I have noticed that if I use my other hand to push the key that is in my pocket against my body that the reliability of locking seems to go up. I am skinny and therefore my pants are never tight so it would be interesting if the failure rate is proportional to body size and/or loose fitting pants.

I am skinny to..and will check this out :-)

rka2010
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
It works 100% of the time so far on my 550i. Sometimes I have to put my thumb over the sensor twice to lock it however.

Well then it does´t work 100% :)

The two times on the sensor when locking is actually the core of the problem. For me this is 20% of the time that I have to press two times. You never know when its going to lock on first touch and therefore get the feeling of it not working as expected.

vortexx
10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
It works fine for me after I learned the technique.

1. According to the manual, you need to hold your finger on the ribbed area for 1 second. Simply touching it doesn't work reliably.

2. The next locking or unlocking cycle is not available for TWO seconds. This appears to be one reason why it wasn't working in your video. It is specifically designed NOT to work in rapid succession.

3. According to the manual, radio interference can cause the system not to work reliably. (I never experienced this). You might try moving your cell phone to a different pocket.

Although it doesnt say this in the manual, it appears to be designed to use your right hand when when approaching the passenger doors, and your left hand when approaching the driver side door (assuming a left hand drive car, so it would be the opposite for UK)

gEEkChris
10-24-2010, 05:55 PM

1. According to the manual, you need to hold your finger on the ribbed area for 1 second. Simply touching it doesn't work reliably.

2. The next locking or unlocking cycle is not available for TWO seconds. This appears to be one reason why it wasn't working in your video. It is specifically designed NOT to work in rapid succession.

3. According to the manual, radio interference can cause the system not to work reliably. (I never experienced this). You might try moving your cell phone to a different pocket.

Although it doesnt say this in the manual, it appears to be designed to use your right hand when when approaching the passenger doors, and your left hand when approaching the driver side door (assuming a left hand drive car, so it would be the opposite for UK)

I won't speak for the OP, but in my case I exit the vehicle and I step out and very delibertly stick my thumb squarely on the ribbed area. I can hold it there all day and wiggle it back and forth and 60% it doesn't lock until I remove thumb and retry. This happens anywhere so your 1-3 aren't the problem in my case. Your last comment is pretty funny. :)

richschneid
10-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I always put my hand around the door handle and simultaneously put my thumb on the sensor. Four fingers and hand around the door handle. Thumb on the locking sensor. Left hand for driver's side. Right hand for passenger side. Maybe you have to put your hand around the handle for the locking sensor to properly react. I don't think it has ever worked unless I put my hand around the door handle at the same time. Give it a try. That's exactly what your video shows is not being done. I never do it the way you show it on the video. Maybe that's why it has always worked for me.

markl53
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I always put my hand around the door handle and simultaneously put my thumb on the sensor. Four fingers and hand around the door handle. Thumb on the locking sensor. Left hand for driver's side. Right hand for passenger side. Maybe you have to put your hand around the handle for the locking sensor to properly react. I don't think it has ever worked unless I put my hand around the door handle at the same time. Give it a try. That's exactly what your video shows is not being done. I never do it the way you show it on the video. Maybe that's why it has always worked for me.

I'm surprised it would lock with your hand all over the handle. I would think the sensors would get "confused" as to whether you were trying to lock or unlock (which it already was). I believe the correct way to lock it so just place your finger on the ribbed area for about 1 second. At least that's how I did it on my 335i. Once in a while I had to leave my finger on the ribs for maybe 1.5 seconds.

Here's another thing, I never totally decided whether it was simply pressure or electrical conductance that activated the lock. Since water from my hose would activate the lock during a wash, I figured water was conductive and it wasn't the pressure of the water hitting the sensor area. I never tried to insulate my finger with something and see if it would lock. Could be some people who are having trouble are not as "conductive" as some other people. Don't laugh, this could be true.

TXPearl
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Based on the above (and considering that keyless start/stop is now standard on the F10), I can't imagine why anyone would bother with CA (and pay $1,000 for the privilege). I've had two BMWs with CA, and they both exhibit the same issue - inconsistent locking when exiting the vehicle. It's simply easier and faster to click the lock button on the key fob as I'm walking away. Same goes for unlocking as I approach the vehicle, although the unlock function of CA appears to be more reliable. I'll save the $1,000 when I order.

raleedy
10-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Based on the above (and considering that keyless start/stop is now standard on the F10), I can't imagine why anyone would bother with CA (and pay $1,000 for the privilege). I've had two BMWs with CA, and they both exhibit the same issue - inconsistent locking when exiting the vehicle. It's simply easier and faster to click the lock button on the key fob as I'm walking away. Same goes for unlocking as I approach the vehicle, although the unlock function of CA appears to be more reliable. I'll save the $1,000 when I order.

Well, it's handy to have, and works fine on my E92 (where it only cost $500 and was necessary to have the keyless start feature). But even if it occasionally doesn't work right, you can still push the button on the fob.

nosnoop
10-24-2010, 11:37 PM
I have made some videos showing how badly comfort access works on the new bmw 2011 5 series f10.

I think the video shows how you are trying your best to confuse the system! :)
It really isn't designed for repeated locking/unlocking.

richschneid
10-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Well then it does´t work 100% :)

The two times on the sensor when locking is actually the core of the problem. For me this is 20% of the time that I have to press two times. You never know when its going to lock on first touch and therefore get the feeling of it not working as expected.

Well then it does work 100% of the time. It locks the doors 100% of the time. I have never had to use the key fob to lock the car. That's my definition of working. You can have your definition and I can have my definition. :rofl:

Sputnik1961
10-25-2010, 05:33 AM

I have the convenience package and one other thing I noticed is that you have to wait for the door to finish the closing cycle to be able to lock it. The computer is probably working on closing the door so the locking 'request' is not sensed. I usually move to another door and lock the car that way just cause then I do not have to wait the ~2 seconds as mentioned above.

Opening my door works almost all the time. the only time it does not is when I go to open the door too fast and I pull the handle before the door actually unlocks (but it still unlocks). locking the door is more like 80-90%, but as mentioned above i think it is due to the soft close door feature. If I wait for the door to finish closing it locks almost every single time.

markl53
10-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I have the convenience package and one other thing I noticed is that you have to wait for the door to finish the closing cycle to be able to lock it. The computer is probably working on closing the door so the locking 'request' is not sensed. I usually move to another door and lock the car that way just cause then I do not have to wait the ~2 seconds as mentioned above.

I don't have CA or the convenience package, but I notice there is a slight delay after closing a door where pressing the lock button on the key fob doesn't "take". I have to also wait a second or so after closing my door to lock it. So I'm not sure that is related to the convenience package.

edspider
10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I have it in my E60. It always unlocks. About 20% of the time I need to give it another shot. I find touching the key hole works best. Getting the back doors to lock takes a bit more finess, but after awhile you get good at it. Other makes have a tactile button to push for locking. That might work better because there is no need to sense your hand. But it's ugly. I prefer the BMw.

MikeTerp
10-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I have CA in my E90, but would not buy it again. It works OK, but sometimes is infuriating when it won't lock the door or open it when you want it to without a lot of touching, etc. Given how much BMW wants for it in the F10, it seems like a colossal rip-off, especially when you have keyless start as standard. Just about as easy to click the fob as to grab the door. There are not that many times when I am so loaded up that I can't do that, and you still have to reach for the handle anyway.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I posted on this thread earlier and just wanted to give an update. I am not having a problem with the keyless entry, or, at least I do not think that I am having a problem. With the key in my pocket, I simply reach for the handle of the door and grab it in one fluid motion. The door unlocks and I am able to open the door. With regards to leaving the vehicle, my representative told me that the F10 does not automatically lock itself and that you have to push the button on the key. I have not read the manual on this issue to verify what he said, but I think that he is right because, when I leave the car and shut the door, the car does not lock, nor does the sound system go off, on its own. Also, if I touch the door handle after I have left the car and have shut the door, the car has not automatically locked, nor has the sound system automatically gone off. The car has locked and the sound system turned off only after I have pushed the lock button on the key.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I just read the manual and I see that comfort access should indeed be able to lock the car up, contrary to what I understood my representative to have explained. I will try to lock the vehicle in the manner described in the manual and report back.

richschneid
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I posted on this thread earlier and just wanted to give an update. I am not having a problem with the keyless entry, or, at least I do not think that I am having a problem. With the key in my pocket, I simply reach for the handle of the door and grab it in one fluid motion. The door unlocks and I am able to open the door. With regards to leaving the vehicle, my representative told me that the F10 does not automatically lock itself and that you have to push the button on the key. I have not read the manual on this issue to verify what he said, but I think that he is right because, when I leave the car and shut the door, the car does not lock, nor does the sound system go off, on its own. Also, if I touch the door handle after I have left the car and have shut the door, the car has not automatically locked, nor has the sound system automatically gone off. The car has locked and the sound system turned off only after I have pushed the lock button on the key.

To lock the car first close the door and listen to it close completely then put your hand on the handle and touch the sensor on the top back of the door handle with your thumb. Cover the sensor with your thumb for a couple of seconds and the car will lock.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I performed a test. Once again, the vehicle unlocked and opened very easily. When I tried to lock the door, however, I touched the handle with my pointer finger and it did not lock. BUT, when I touched it with my thumb, it locked instantly.

GHOST PROTOCOL
10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
To lock the car first close the door and listen to it close completely then put your hand on the handle and touch the sensor on the top back of the door handle with your thumb. Cover the sensor with your thumb for a couple of seconds and the car will lock.

Yes, I agree. This is what my test revealed. I am sorry for those who are experiencing problems. On my vehicle, however, it appears that the system works fine. I have no problems unlocking. If I close the door and touch the door handle with my thumb, I have no problems with locking. I did read in the manual that interference from electronic devices could adversely affect the system, e.g., a cell phone according to the manual. The manual does not mention but, maybe a video camera?

markl53
10-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes, I agree. This is what my test revealed. I am sorry for those who are experiencing problems. On my vehicle, however, it appears that the system works fine. I have no problems unlocking. If I close the door and touch the door handle with my thumb, I have no problems with locking. I did read in the manual that interference from electronic devices could adversely affect the system, e.g., a cell phone according to the manual. The manual does not mention but, maybe a video camera?

Could there be a delay in when the sensor detects your finger or thumb? I think I reported earlier that even on my non-CA equipped 535i, I can't even lock the car with the key fob immediately after closing the door. It seems there is "some process" in progress for a second or so. I have to wait that brief interval then I can lock it with the key fob. Maybe CA has the same issue, that you just can't immediately touch the sensor to lock it until you wait that second or so.

Rafa
10-26-2010, 10:43 PM
With regards to leaving the vehicle, my representative told me that the F10 does not automatically lock itself and that you have to push the button on the key. I have not read the manual on this issue to verify what he said, but I think that he is right because, when I leave the car and shut the door, the car does not lock, nor does the sound system go off, on its own. Also, if I touch the door handle after I have left the car and have shut the door, the car has not automatically locked, nor has the sound system automatically gone off. The car has locked and the sound system turned off only after I have pushed the lock button on the key.

Does the I Drive have a setting that will lock the car after a couple of minutes when left unlocked? I think so, but cannot verify as my ED 550i is "in transit". I'll take a look at the Manual and see if I can find something to that effect.

Rafa
10-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Does the I Drive have a setting that will lock the car after a couple of minutes when left unlocked? I think so, but cannot verify as my ED 550i is "in transit". I'll take a look at the Manual and see if I can find something to that effect.

An update to my previous post:

Found something on page 36 of the Manual. There is a setting in IDrive that says "Lock if no door is opened". It is not clear whether this setting will automatically lock the doors after exiting the car and leaving it unlocked. I cannot test this, as I do not have my car, so other posters might want to test and post the result.

DreamCar
10-26-2010, 11:30 PM

Found something on page 36 of the Manual. There is a setting in IDrive that says "Lock if no door is opened". It is not clear whether this setting will automatically lock the doors after exiting the car and leaving it unlocked. I cannot test this, as I do not have my car, so other posters might want to test and post the result.

I came across this setting in my ultimate drive event...it won't wait for the min speed of the car before it locks all the doors. This will lock the doors once all the doors are closed.
This should hold good even when the existing the car...

nosnoop
10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
deleted

Rafa
10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
deleted

Did you delete your comment? I found it to be logical, from my reading of the Manual, although at odds with the previous post by Dreamcar. Actual testing of the feature might be in order, to determine whether the setting will lock under the condition you mentioned only, or whether it will lock when all doors are closed as the previous post suggests.

nosnoop
10-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Did you delete your comment? I found it to be logical, from my reading of the Manual, although at odds with the previous post by Dreamcar..

Yeah, I have second thoughts after I wrote it. Since I can't verify it, I do not want to mislead anyone.

pharding
10-27-2010, 04:23 AM
I have used Comfort Access for 3 years and one month on 2 550's. The system works fine and I like it a lot that is why I got on my 2011 550i.. I haven't heard of others on this forum or 2 others, experiencing problems with the system. The system was designed for normal use IMO not intentional misuse as shown in the original post.

johnbmw6
10-27-2010, 04:37 AM
I have used Comfort Access for 3 years and one month on 2 550's. The system works fine and I like it a lot that is why I got on my 2011 550i.. I haven't heard of others on this forum or 2 others, experiencing problems with the system. The system was designed for normal use IMO not intentional misuse as shown in the original post. Hows your 550i going?, Mines on order (550i M Sport).:thumbup:

Rafa
10-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Comfort Access worked flawlessly for me during the entire time I used it in Europe. My suggestion to search for an alternate way to lock the car automatically via the iDrive is to help those who for whatever reason may be having difficulties with the standard locking mechanism of Comfort Access.

Another suggestion I will advance is to follow the procedure for locking as described in the Manual. This will surely result in the system working as designed for all, excepting those whose Comfort Access may be defective.

pharding
10-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Hows your 550i going?, Mines on order (550i M Sport).:thumbup:
It is a great car. I am quite happy with it. Fine body design, albeit conservative for my taste as an architect, spacious cabin, great ergonomics, great cabin design, exquisite finishes and cabin details, great engine, and drives well. I acknowledge that some trade-offs were made with the F10. The car is sporty, but I would prefer it to be slightly more sport oriented in terms of suspension and steering. Build quality has been excellent with one minor issue. The lock sensor for Comfort Access somehow died during shipment to the US after Euro Delivery. Euro Delivery was a great experience as always. The BMW Welt is amazing. My dealership, Elmhurst BMW has been superb. Undoubtedly they are the best in the Chicago area in terms of the sales experience and servicing the vehicle. Unlike one Bimmerfest Sponsor I have found them to very straightforward and trustworthy. Overall i highly recommend the F10.

My best friend drives an MB E-Class. He and his father have driven them literally for decades. We took my 550i out for a drive and he drove my car. I told him not to be timid and he wasn't. He couldn't believe how better it was in comparison to his E-Class. He said that it fell between the E-Class and S-Class for the price of an E-Class. In the Spring he is going to order an F10 from Elmhurst BMW.

I am in the midst of a bit of dispute with BNW NA about my BMW CCA rebate. I like BMW as a company and they have always treated me well. As the the owner of a 12 person architecture firm, I see business a relationship driven because there is natural incentive to deal with the inevitable bumps in the road in a mutually beneficial manner. Some here see the world as transaction driven which is just the opposite. Hopefully things will get resolved in a positive manner.

markl53
10-27-2010, 09:21 AM

"Lock if no door opened" means that if you unlock the doors with the fob or CA, and then you don't open a door for some period, like 30 seconds, the doors will lock again. It does not mean it will lock your car for you after all doors are closed. The F10 does not have that feature.

djfitter
10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
"Lock if no door opened" means that if you unlock the doors with the fob or CA, and then you don't open a door for some period, like 30 seconds, the doors will lock again. It does not mean it will lock your car for you after all doors are closed. The F10 does not have that feature.

Exactly right. It happens every time I get gas. I lock the car when I go in to prepay and have to unlock it when I get back so the fuel access door will open. After filling up I again have to unlock the car because it relocked while I was filling. :)

dj

Holein1
10-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow! $1000 just so that we don't have to push a button to open the car door! Remember the days when we had to actually insert the key and turn to unlock the door? Maybe there will be a $1000 option in the future that will hold a drink and feed the driver instead of a cupholder.

richschneid
10-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Wow! $1000 just so that we don't have to push a button to open the car door! Remember the days when we had to actually insert the key and turn to unlock the door? Maybe there will be a $1000 option in the future that will hold a drink and feed the driver instead of a cupholder.

No, actually that is incorrect. The comfort access also includes the soft close doors, so you don't have to slam them with people in or out of the car, and the trunk has power closing and opening. Actually, not having to dig around in your pocket or purse everytime you get in or out of your car becomes a real convenience once you get used to it. Well worth the money. I never had it before and I really like it.

And, as you already know, one should never eat while driving. It is unsafe. :rofl:

Rafa
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Understood. Thankfully, my Comfort Access is working as designed. CA is a very convenient feature, and the more you use it, the more you appreciate it. Being able to close the trunk (and lock the entire vehicle if you so choose) at the touch of a button is plain neat!

pharding
10-27-2010, 06:01 PM
No, actually that is incorrect. The comfort access also includes the soft close doors, so you don't have to slam them with people in or out of the car, and the trunk has power closing and opening. Actually, not having to dig around in your pocket or purse everytime you get in or out of your car becomes a real convenience once you get used to it. Well worth the money. I never had it before and I really like it.

And, as you already know, one should never eat while driving. It is unsafe. :rofl:
Wrong. The Convenience Package includes all that stuff. Comfort Access is also available as a stand alone overpriced option.

markl53
10-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Rich, as pharding said above, Comfort Access ALONE is $1000! On my '08 335i it was "only" $500 including keyless start and touch lock/unlock. I bought the option for the 335i, it was worth it, IMO. They doubled the price to $1000 for the F10 and made keyless start standard. It's a no-brainer not to get CA alone. The convenience package may be worthwhile for some folks - what $1750? I took neither this time around.

SRB7787
10-27-2010, 08:08 PM
My f10's CA has never failed to work flawlessly. fWIW

richschneid
10-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Rich, as pharding said above, Comfort Access ALONE is $1000! On my '08 335i it was "only" $500 including keyless start and touch lock/unlock. I bought the option for the 335i, it was worth it, IMO. They doubled the price to $1000 for the F10 and made keyless start standard. It's a no-brainer not to get CA alone. The convenience package may be worthwhile for some folks - what $1750? I took neither this time around.

Sorry, I checked it and you and pharding are correct. I stand corrected. Maybe you are right it's not worth the $1000 for the CA alone.

But if I amortorize the actual cost of owning my car including depreciation and lost investment income not including insurance for the 5 years, or 60 months, I intend to keep it the monthly cost with the whole convenience package is almost exactly $1000/month. Without the convenience package the monthly cost is about $970/month. For the difference the convenience package is well worth the cost to me.

JLBM
10-31-2010, 05:56 AM
I have made some videos showing how badly comfort access works on the new bmw 2011 5 series f10. My opinion is that there are defects in the system. BMW says the system works fine, but I just have to be patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yaqsoefDxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG2skfmROQk

Whats your opinion defect or incorrect use?

I have exactly the same problem and I am pissed! I have a new F10 535i in South Africa and the system only works about 80% of the time and requires effort. Especially when locking. The system in our CLK 500 has an actual button and works perfectly every time.. BMW will not sell me this system again in the future - it is flawed....

richschneid
10-31-2010, 06:02 AM
I have exactly the same problem and I am pissed! I have a new F10 535i in South Africa and the system only works about 80% of the time and requires effort. Especially when locking. The system in our CLK 500 has an actual button and works perfectly every time.. BMW will not sell me this system again in the future - it is flawed....

Try using your thumb instead of your index finger to lock the car. Hold it for two seconds. If it doesn't work the first time, do it once more. I've never had this not work.

Rafa
10-31-2010, 06:23 AM
Try using your thumb instead of your index finger to lock the car. Hold it for two seconds. If it doesn't work the first time, do it once more. I've never had this not work.

+1. That has been my experience. You'll get used to inputting the proper command in the proper way ant the system will perform as designed.

JLBM
10-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the tip man, I've tried it and it works sometimes, but not every time. They should have a separate button like in our CLK. It cost R10,000, about $1,400, and it is meant to offer complete convenience. Instead it irritates me!

dalekressin
10-31-2010, 06:31 AM
My 10 M3 has CA and it usually works. I think I run into what you show when in a hurry.
I agree with the responses that the timing matters between opening & closing/locking.
If you have idrive you might reset the door opening options. Might help.

markl53
10-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Again, I stated earlier that even without CA, I cannot lock the doors with the fob for the first second or so after closing the door. I suspect CA is also affected by whatever this electronic "thing" is going on when you first close the door. For the people with CA issues, try this: Wait a second before you touch the lock sensor and see if your success rate in locking increases. I find it slightly annoying that I can't lock my door (again WITHOUT CA) immediately after I close the door, I still think CA is subject to that same basic side effect and possibly not the CA feature itself.

TXPearl
11-01-2010, 09:01 AM

Simply not worth the trouble - hit the fob lock button as you're walking away, and save $1,000.

richschneid
11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Simply not worth the trouble - hit the fob lock button as you're walking away, and save $1,000.

Never take the fob out of my pocket. Not worth the trouble.

markl53
11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Never take the fob out of my pocket. Not worth the trouble.

I don't take the fob out of my pocket either, I know which button to press by feel.

richschneid
11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't take the fob out of my pocket either, I know which button to press by feel.

Me too, it's on the door handle and on the trunk lid. I have never had comfort access before. I really, really like it and it's worth every penny. Oh, it's the convenience package I have. Oops! Love the trunk and soft close doors for the extra $750. :)

raleedy
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
People having difficulty with Comfort Access should find a way to test whether the problem is environmental and not in the car itself.

TXPearl
11-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Me too, it's on the door handle and on the trunk lid.

...if you don't mind waiting around for it to lock the doors. The fob button always works. (and by "works", I mean the first time I try it):p

richschneid
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
...if you don't mind waiting around for it to lock the doors. The fob button always works. (and by "works", I mean the first time I try it):p

True, it takes about 2 seconds. I guess I don't mind. It takes more than that for me to get the fob out of my pocket. But you can have the convenience package with the easy unlocking, which takes about 1 second, and the power trunk lid and soft close doors and still use the fob to lock the doors if you like. Having the convenience package does not preclude using the fob to lock the car. BTW, the lock button on the trunk lid does work every time and there is no waiting.

2008550I
11-04-2010, 01:04 AM

:thumbup:me too

2008550I
11-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Me too, it's on the door handle and on the trunk lid. I have never had comfort access before. I really, really like it and it's worth every penny. Oh, it's the convenience package I have. Oops! Love the trunk and soft close doors for the extra $750. :)

Wish they had designed-in closing the trunk from within the car....

ssj
11-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Experienced the comfort access package during ED. It works well. The only minor annoyance was that a passenger on the opposite side cannot open his door before you get yours open. With the fob, all doors can be opened from a distance.

Kzang
11-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Sorry, I checked it and you and pharding are correct. I stand corrected. Maybe you are right it's not worth the $1000 for the CA alone.

But if I amortorize the actual cost of owning my car including depreciation and lost investment income not including insurance for the 5 years, or 60 months, I intend to keep it the monthly cost with the whole convenience package is almost exactly $1000/month. Without the convenience package the monthly cost is about $970/month. For the difference the convenience package is well worth the cost to me.

Don't you just hate it when you prove someone wrong, and they reply back saying sorry, but still have to justify their point? :rofl:

pharding
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the tip man, I've tried it and it works sometimes, but not every time. They should have a separate button like in our CLK. It cost R10,000, about $1,400, and it is meant to offer complete convenience. Instead it irritates me!
I have had it on 2 5ers and I like it a lot and it works well. It is most likely that you are doing something wrong. Try different techniques. I have had it on 2 cars and it works great, but initially I had to find the right technique.

On my current 550i the lock function of the driver's door never worked at all. Bad sensor apparently. They had to order a new painted door handle from Germany.

richschneid
11-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Don't you just hate it when you prove someone wrong, and they reply back saying sorry, but still have to justify their point? :rofl:

Only, when there is more than one way to look at something. Sometimes one's point may be correct but the reasoning is wrong. That does not mean the point is wrong. Sometimes it does means the point is wrong, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the situation. The entire purpose of reasoning in the first place is to figure out which is which. I "Don't you just hate it", I actually love it. Don't you. :rofl:

The real trick is to have enough intellectual honesty to actually admit when either your basic premise is wrong or your reasoning is incorrect and that you have to rethink what you said and make the appropriate adjustments. That's how the human brain is supposed to work.

TXPearl
11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
The real trick is to have enough intellectual honesty to actually admit when either your basic premise is wrong or your reasoning is incorrect and that you have to rethink what you said and make the appropriate adjustments. That's how the human brain is supposed to work.

Hmmm.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457818&highlight=

markl53
11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Only, when there is more than one way to look at something. Sometimes one's point may be correct but the reasoning is wrong. That does not mean the point is wrong. Sometimes it does means the point is wrong, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the situation. The entire purpose of reasoning in the first place is to figure out which is which. I "Don't you just hate it", I actually love it. Don't you. :rofl:

Rich, I'm usually "on your side". However, in this case, and with all intellectual honesty, you originally stated that for $1000, you got CA which included soft close, and auto trunk operation. This was incorrect. As far as whether the $1750 convenience package is "worth it" for you is immaterial to the original incorrect statement. You had agreed that you incorrectly thought the $1000 got everything included. Basically, you made an incorrect statement due to an incorrect basic premise, there's no way around that regardless of the amount of rationalization ;).

markl53
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Experienced the comfort access package during ED. It works well. The only minor annoyance was that a passenger on the opposite side cannot open his door before you get yours open. With the fob, all doors can be opened from a distance.

If you change the unlock setting to open all doors on first press, CA will unlock all the doors on one grab.

richschneid
11-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Rich, I'm usually "on your side". However, in this case, and with all intellectual honesty, you originally stated that for $1000, you got CA which included soft close, and auto trunk operation. This was incorrect. As far as whether the $1750 convenience package is "worth it" for you is immaterial to the original incorrect statement. You had agreed that you incorrectly thought the $1000 got everything included. Basically, you made an incorrect statement due to an incorrect basic premise, there's no way around that regardless of the amount of rationalization ;).

I made an incorrect premise. I admitted it. But my conclusion that even at $1750 it was still worth the money to me. The alternative conclusion would have been to say that my incorrect premise of the price, $1000, would alter the conclusion that the package was worth the money. Do you see the difference?

One can admit to an incorrect premise and/or incorrect logic, but that does not mean the conclusion is necessarily incorrect. Sometimes it will be and sometimes it will not. The important thing is to admit when one makes a mistake in premise or logic, which is what I did. That does not mean that one has to conclude that the original conclusion, in this case that the package is worth the money, is incorrect just because the original argument was incorrect. That is the point I was trying to make.

markl53
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
i made an incorrect premise. I admitted it. But my conclusion that even at $1750 it was still worth the money to me. The alternative conclusion would have been to say that my incorrect premise of the price, $1000, would alter the conclusion that the package was worth the money. Do you see the difference?

One can admit to an incorrect premise and/or incorrect logic, but that does not mean the conclusion is necessarily incorrect. Sometimes it will be and sometimes it will not. The important thing is to admit when one makes a mistake in premise or logic, which is what i did. That does not mean that one has to conclude that the original conclusion, in this case that the package is worth the money, is incorrect just because the original argument was incorrect. That is the point i was trying to make.

ok :)

richschneid
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
ok :)

Thanks. :)