PDA

View Full Version : Review of 528i - After 2 Weeks

southernbelle
10-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I took delivery at the Performance Center 2 1/2 weeks ago on my 528i. (Awesome experience! Only needed one chiropractic adjustment after riding with one of the instructors :D) Cashmere Silver w/Everest Gray Dakota Leather & Anthracite Wood Trim, Premium Pkg, Premium Pkg 2, Comfort Access and Split Fold-Down-Rear Seats. Obviously I went for comfort/luxury as opposed to the sport options.

Here are my initial impressions:

Overall - LOVE the car. Can't believe that I bought an Infiniti M35 after I sold my '03 530. IMO once you own a BMW, nothing else compares. I guess that's what happens when you rely too much on something like Consumer Reports when making a decision.

To touch on a few points that I have read in several threads here - the transmission is unbelievable smooth when shifting. I do notice a slight hesitation when accelerating from a dead stop. Once I got use to it and learned how to compensate, I'm fine. The steering is wonderful and very responsive. I'm getting great gas mileage in town and on the road, better than my previous 5 series. There is plenty of HP for what I need driving in an urban setting. I can't tell a big difference with the run-flat tires but then the 528 has 17" wheels - which may help reduce rolling over pot holes and railroad tracks. I am not overly crazy about the wheel design for the 528; however, I'm quickly coming around since they are so easy to keep clean compared to some of the other designs I've seen and had. Out of all the cars I have ever owned, this one is the best at masking your speed. I feel like I'm poking along on the interstate only to look down and see my speed at 80 mph. I'm still learning the i-drive but so far seems pretty intuitive.

I have included a few photos to show the cashmere silver exterior combined with the gray interior. I was nervous about that combination until I saw it at the dealer. Also, I think the anthracite really looks great with the gray and black interior.

markl53
10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Congratulations, and enjoy your car. I've had my 535i for about 5 weeks and still marvel at its driving, responsiveness, etc. You made a great choice.

eyesight1
10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Congratulations! We just ordered a 535 X drive yesterday and now have to wait. However the test drive confirmed your impression of a smoooooth transmission/engine combo.

jwrtiger
10-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Congratulation on your new 528i. I also got the 528i and I have the same wheels that you have, which are the standard ones for the 528i. I was thinking of going with the next type (style 237) but noticed in the BMW brochure that the wheels we have are the only non-low profile tires. All the others had the following BMW disclaimer: ***8220;Due to low-profile tires, please note: wheels, tires, and suspension parts are more susceptible to road hazard and consequential damage***8221;. So after reading that and wanting a more touring vehicle I decide to just stay with the 327 style. I agree with you that this style maybe a little easier to clean.

One question does your car idle rough for about 30 seconds when it is first starts up after being turned off for a few hours? The roughness is that the car shakes or rocks a little side-to-side. I was going to have my CA look into it but over the last several weeks it has almost completely disappeared. I wonder if the computer finally made the proper adjustments.

bmrboy2008
10-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Welcome to Bimmerfest and congratulations on your new 528i. It really is a beauty.

I'm lookin' to be in an F10 528i or 535i real soon. Decisions, decisions. However, I will say that posts like yours will make it so much easier.

Good luck and have fun!!!

southernbelle
10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
One question does your car idle rough for about 30 seconds when it is first starts up after being turned off for a few hours? The roughness is that the car shakes or rocks a little side-to-side. I was going to have my CA look into it but over the last several weeks it has almost completely disappeared. I wonder if the computer final made the proper adjustments.

Yes - I have noticed the rough idle immediately upon start-up. It quicly resolves itself so I haven't worried too much about it. If you find that something needs to be adjusted, please let me know.

Thanks!!

kohjul
10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
wow that is really really a sweet car.... congratulations man! i really like your car :D

markl53
10-24-2010, 03:48 PM
wow that is really really a sweet car.... congratulations man! i really like your car :D

"Southernbelle" - I think she is actually a WOMAN :). (Although "man" is somewhat universal). Oh sorry Kohjul, didn't notice it was you. "Southern Belle" is a term in the south to describe a pretty woman ("belle" is "beautiful" in French).

kohjul
10-24-2010, 04:33 PM
ooowww... i seee i see.... nice word, somewhat its cool word for me :D
btw southernbelle, you have really nice house... and the 5 series... i like it... enjoy the car :)

southernbelle
10-24-2010, 05:34 PM
No worries - I've been called much worse!! Glad to hear that others are appreciating my new car as much as I am. The next hurdle is trying to figure out what to name it. My last one was called "Max" - a nice German name. I'm toying with "Rolf" but not too sure about that one since one of the bad guys in Sound of Music was named Rolf. Otherwise, I really like it. Open to any suggestions, guys & gals!

kohjul
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
maybe Alfonse or Hermann.... wow u name ur car... u must be really love car :)

laser
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey SouthernBelle, would your Crimson Tide husband be offended or flattered if you started calling it "Bär" ???

MSS
10-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Congratulations. Finally i see some badly needed reviews on 2011 528i. Otherwise I thought everyone wanting a 5 series just chose 535.

Slaymaster
10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
No worries - I've been called much worse!! Glad to hear that others are appreciating my new car as much as I am. The next hurdle is trying to figure out what to name it. My last one was called "Max" - a nice German name. I'm toying with "Rolf" but not too sure about that one since one of the bad guys in Sound of Music was named Rolf. Otherwise, I really like it. Open to any suggestions, guys & gals!

How about using my Father-In-Laws name? Gottfried, was a former Luftwaffe pilot flying a Messerschmitt 109G in WWII. A German name with a little history.:thumbup:

Kamdog
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
How about using my Father-In-Laws name? Gottfried, was a former Luftwaffe pilot flying a Messerschmitt 109G in WWII. A German name with a little history.:thumbup:

Even though the 'Gustav' was inferior to the FW 190, many of the pilots preferred it for its feel. It was less rugged than the 190, had way less firepower, less pilot protection, was much more dangerous to land due to its narrow undercarriage, would snap into a spin quicker, and, generally, was totally outclassed by the 190 at altitudes below 25K feet.

Yet, the 'experten' preferred it.

schlagle
10-24-2010, 07:44 PM
My wife has already named ours Hanz and it hasn't even left Germany yet! I was trying to talk her into Fritz but she wasn't buying it. So Fritz is still free lol

Stevej2001
10-26-2010, 12:09 PM
My wife and I have only named cars that were trouble. Our first car, a wedding gift from my parents, was a '73 Plymouth Duster. For the first year we had to take it to the dealer multiple times to get it assembled properly (after that it was fine). We called it 'schlep'.

I've got a F10 on the ocean right now, so I'll have to think about a name... but how do you do it before you know what its like?

NewbimmerMD
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Congrats on your new car. Glad to see an F10 in a lighter color a change. A lot of people I have seen are ordering the darker colors, myself included (Dark Graphite with Dakota Oyster/Black Interior & Anthracite wood trim ) You definitely luxed out your car with your options. Enjoy !

Jack Stefano
10-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I am not overly crazy about the wheel design for the 528.
Agreed, this car demands a better set of wheels but, overall, it's damn good looking.

GoBluBeemer
10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Congrats on your new ride! It's a beauty--the anthracite trim contrasts well on the dash. I'm taking delivery on my 535ix graphite on cinnamon with anthracite trim tomorrow.

Needsdecaf
10-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Congrats on your ride. Very nice car!

Yesterday I drove an F10 528 for the first time. Before yesterday, I was convinced that I was going to have to spend the $$ on a 535 and that the Comfort / Sport seats were a must. I have to say that after yesterday, I'm not so sure. Realizing that the 528 isn't a burner (I'm coming from a 300 HP turbo Volvo), it's still very decent in everyday driving. It's a second slower than the 535 from 0-60, but in 30-50 and 50-70 acceleration tests, it's only 0.2 sec and 0.5 sec behind. More than competent, IMO.

Also, the standard seats (I had not sat in them before) have a lot of comfort and, most importantly for me, very good underthigh support (I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'10").

I also don't like the look of the wheels, but as you say, it gives a nice ride and they will be protected from impacts.

Decisions, decisions.....

markl53
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Also, the standard seats (I had not sat in them before) have a lot of comfort and, most importantly for me, very good underthigh support (I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'10").

+1. I'm sure the multi-contour seats add additional adjustments, but I find the standard seats to be very comfortable. In the past I didn't get sport seats in my 3 series because (oddly enough) I didn't like the confinement of the huge bolsters (and I'm on the small side). The bolstering on the multi-contour seats doesn't seem that much different from that of the standard seats, it's more a matter of the additional settings for the people who need that I think.

docrio
10-28-2010, 09:47 PM
ordered a 528 with night vision and lots more but never had to have one made with all the opptions i wanted. ??? if they say its on the boat heading to CA how long will it take to get to LA from Germany? anyone!

SimiClyde
10-28-2010, 10:12 PM
ordered a 528 with night vision and lots more but never had to have one made with all the opptions i wanted. ??? if they say its on the boat heading to CA how long will it take to get to LA from Germany? anyone!

Took about 45 days last year, from drop-off to pick-up, for an ED, so I would think the timing will be similar.

MSS
10-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Needsdecafe

I had the same impression. I drove mine with 4 adults and that too on a slight climb and didn't have any problem accelerating it or felt any less power than my needs. Yet t convince myself that it's worth spending 5000 for 535