PDA

View Full Version : Hud

bimluva
10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Can anyone with the headup display clarify exactly what you see on the display. Is the speed always displayed?(speedometer or digital??) And will phonecalls be displayed?Is it worth it just for the navigation itself?

tdepetra
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Can anyone with the headup display clarify exactly what you see on the display. Is the speed always displayed?(speedometer or digital??) And will phonecalls be displayed?Is it worth it just for the navigation itself?

Current speed (digital) cruise control on, navigation arrows, approaching street names, lane clarification (if necessary), night vision for starters. Phone calls - I don't know yet, but will check on the way home. I believe lane departure warning is also displayed. Will verify and post.

I will forever be spoiled by this HUD and the car in general.

tdepetra
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM

To your last question -- yes.

rdlm
10-25-2010, 01:44 PM
From what I've seen on my car (and can recall):
- Current speed (digitial): Always shown
- Navigation information (arrows, distance to next turn, road to turn on, freeway exit lane, etc)
- Active Cruise Control (on, distance to maintain, indicator if car is "seen" and causing speed to be throttled, desired speed)
- Lane departure (on, indentified lane marking)
- Warnings (low gas, door open, unsure what else)
- Warning that the car in front of you is slowing quickly (may require active cruise control, but acc need not be on)

I bought the HUD because I thought it was really cool, but didn't expect it to be that useful.
In reality, I've found it to be very useful, and I'm very happy I bought it.

listerone
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Assuming that you're still trying to decide if you should opt for it I'll just say...I can't recall exactly what the HUD displayed during my 20 minute test drive last June but I recall enough to know that I *will* order it when the diesel F10's become available for order.

BimmerUKF10
10-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Does it display an image of the night vision?

listerone
10-25-2010, 07:50 PM

My guess is that it doesn't...although I'm not certain.I suspect it doesn't because the display area (as I recall it) is fairly small and I'd be surprised if any kind of usable image could be displayed.

nosnoop
10-25-2010, 09:29 PM

No, it does not.
That's why the night vision is of limited value.

smhoer
10-26-2010, 05:43 AM

It' supposed to display an ICON warning if it detects something it thinks is human via infrared. Not very useful in my opinion.

tdepetra
10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
It' supposed to display an ICON warning if it detects something it thinks is human via infrared. Not very useful in my opinion.

The counterpoint to that is that when something does appear on the HUD it's something you want to see, not response-numbing clutter you soon learn to ignore.

CarBrain
10-26-2010, 09:40 AM
For those who have the HUD system, do you have it on all the time?

xsi123
10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Here is a link showing the navigation part of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vymq0-WbhnE

Another question might be, do you get the same or similar information on the dashboard?

Also, some people report that is you wear glasses (or sunglasses?) this might not be for you.

nosnoop
10-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Also, some people report that is you wear glasses (or sunglasses?) this might not be for you.

Many polarized sun glasses would completely block out the HUD rendering it invisible.
Some may work depending on the orientation of the polarized lens.

tdepetra
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM

Yes. It's a bit addicting.

nosnoop
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
The counterpoint to that is that when something does appear on the HUD it's something you want to see, not response-numbing clutter you soon learn to ignore.

If you have seen/tried the night vision, you would find that the "pedestrian detection" is not very reliable, and it only looks for people at the curb. The night vision does not detect a deer standing in front of your car or a pedestrian crossing the road!

CC Brown
10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
My user's manual states there are 3 areas it looks for pedestrians. One each on the side of the road-it looks to see if they are going to move in front of the car. Also one right in front of car- it looks to see if one is in this area. If it is a person or a person on a bike- it will display a yellow triangle warning in the HUD. To see other animals you would have to look at the control display.

oil_filter
10-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Absolutely. Would never turn it off. I already had HUD on my E60, and it just got a lot better on the F10. I would not want to buy another car without it...that's how useful it is to me!

rdlm
10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Definitely on all the time!

BGMurphy2008
10-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I have HUD in my 2008 535xi. One of the omissions is that it does not indicate when your high beams are on, the regular symbol for which is often blocked by the steering wheel. It seems like such an easy thing to add, I wonder why they haven't done so. I love HUD and wish they would fix it so that you can see it when wearing polarized sunglasses, like they have done with the main screen.

BGM

Fuzzy1
10-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Dropped off 550ix in Munich on October 20th after 1,077 miles. Never had HUD before. I'll never live without it again.:thumbup:

Rafa
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I fell in love with HUD when I first test drove a 550i equipped with it, and ordered the option right away. I find it most useful when using Nav, which was all the time during my 14 day ED through Germany, Austria and Italy. It is also quite useful for keeping track of your speed, and in no time at all I was conditioned to not looking at the speedometer on the dashboard. HUD is also helpful in keeping track of the Active Cruise Control status, as I tend to change the distance settings often to adjust to traffic conditions. I'll never buy another vehicle without HUD, and I have only driven 1,535 miles with it!

xsi123
10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
...I find it most useful when using Nav, which was all the time during my 14 day ED through Germany, Austria and Italy...

Isn't the exact same Nav info displayed on the dashboard (just below the speedometer)? Maybe I am wrong... However, I do see the benefit of reading the info without taking your eyes from the road.

mzwicker
10-27-2010, 10:03 AM
With HUD you at least can see the speed you are traveling at before you get a ticket.

Rafa
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Isn't the exact same Nav info displayed on the dashboard (just below the speedometer)? Maybe I am wrong... However, I do see the benefit of reading the info without taking your eyes from the road.

It is a lot easier, clearer and less cluttered to see the nav info on the HUD. However, I must say that when more detail is required, or a broader view is desirable, one must resort to the 10 inch screen.

xsi123
10-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Anyone with a video showing the Navigation info/instructions on the dashboard?