PDA

View Full Version : Anyone connect Iphone 4 Yet

grizzles
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Anyone connect Iphone 4 Yet to smartphone integration port? (retrofit)

ChgoBob
10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Anyone connect Iphone 4 Yet to smartphone integration port? (retrofit)

No, my iPhone 4 is Bluetooth connected and works just fine. But not possible to connect with smartphone integration as there is no cradle yet available for it. As I understand with the connection through the smartphone integration the phone will charge, plus uses the sharkfin antenna on the roof of the car.

In my opinion $175 for the cradle is rediculous. That's just shy of what I paid for the iPhone itself! I took the blank cradle out to look if the cable connector was familiar, and it's not. So I'm not aware of any kind of cable you could buy to circumvent the need for a custom cradle. Would certainly appreciate hearing any breakthroughs on this from the group.

grizzles
03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I guess i will have to wait for the new adapter and 6NR software upgrade in July

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Titanflux
03-19-2011, 01:46 AM
My new car comes in 10 days with 6NR / 6FL / 6NF. No iPhone 4 cradle/snap in adapter until July though!

pharding
03-19-2011, 03:42 AM
I switched from the Blackberry World Tour to the iPhone the first week in March. The iPhone is great overall, but the reception quality and the audio quality is a major disappointment. In particular the audio quality with Bluetooth in my F10 is substantially inferior to my former phone, the Blackberry world Tour. My network for both is Verizon.

pkfinman
03-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Interesting that you are having issues with Bluetooth quality. My I phone 4 connection is perfect. I have never had an issue. Much better than my last car.
My I phone 4 is ATT about 6 months old.

DocBob
03-19-2011, 04:46 AM
I have the iPhone 4 and the cradle installed in my 550i(Yes, it's available). I have no issues as of yet. I live in Long Grove, IL and have AT&T service. Reception and clarity are excellent and no dropped call so far.
DocBob

nyranger74
03-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Only the basic cradle is available. Cannot play music or video.

pharding
03-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Interesting that you are having issues with Bluetooth quality.
The issue is not the Bluetooth in the F10. It works great. The iPhone reception and audio quality as a phone is disappointing and clearly inferior to Blackberry World Tour.

pkfinman
03-19-2011, 07:26 AM
OK. got it... I was trying to figure out why there would be a difference. thx Pharding.

judyg951
03-19-2011, 07:54 AM
iPhone 4 via Bluetooth works fine in my 328i, is there a difference with the F10?

I'm not happy about having to shell out another $175 for the iPhone cradle for BMW apps to work after paying extra to get the system. Waiting until July seems a little ridiculous too. The system should be ready to go and not have to wait for an update to work. Oh well, since there is no option I guess that is just life with a BMW.

B-1 Pilot
03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Also Please dont believe the hype of the sharkfin antenna being used to improve reception.

There is no pinout in the apple 30 pin connector for an antenna!

If anything you are reducing the dB by shoving your phone in the metal and plastic glove box.
http://www.qables.com/shop/images/pdf/ipodpinout.pdf

This guy summed it up pretty well over in the 7 series section:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5680471&highlight=#post5680471

grizzles
03-19-2011, 01:41 PM
I also get an annoying echo with my iphone 4 and the bluetooth setup sometimes, anyone else?

JoeRoadster
03-19-2011, 05:19 PM
So the iPhone 4 cradle comes out in July... Just in time for the iPhone 5 release?

Yikes, BMW is running a year behind Apple? That's not good.
I'm an Apple gadget junkie (using my iPad 2 to write this :-).

My car is in production with the 6NR option. Does anyone know if this system also has a USB port in the armrest, so you can use the standard Apple USB cable as an alternative to the cradle?

mrcamp
03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
My Iphone4 works fine with mine (535 ix Picked it up today). I just need to figure out how to play music via BT. I know it will play via connecting it to the port.

grizzles
03-19-2011, 09:08 PM
You have to check the bt audio in the options menu. You dont get many functions though, just music

RespectThe5
03-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Iphone w bluetooth here. Works perfectly. Dealer said iPhone will soon be able to display text messages on BMW screen. Awesome feature. According to him, the Blackberry torch already does this.

Titanflux
03-20-2011, 02:22 AM
So the iPhone 4 cradle comes out in July... Just in time for the iPhone 5 release?

Yikes, BMW is running a year behind Apple? That's not good.
I'm an Apple gadget junkie (using my iPad 2 to write this :-).

My car is in production with the 6NR option. Does anyone know if this system also has a USB port in the armrest, so you can use the standard Apple USB cable as an alternative to the cradle?

The standard cradle is out, but you need the media cradle for BMW Apps / plugin (6NR) and 6NF to work. Full ipod control will work via an apply cble into the armrest USB port in the meantime.

stevelup
03-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Also Please dont believe the hype of the sharkfin antenna being used to improve reception.

There is no pinout in the apple 30 pin connector for an antenna!

That's not how it works. There is an antenna in the housing which couples inductively with the antenna in the iPhone. Remember the old glass mount antenna's that everyone used to have as part of their car kit installations? Same principle.

I can assure you 100% that the BMW cradles do improve the signal strength considerably.

Titanflux
03-20-2011, 04:00 AM
That's not how it works. There is an antenna in the housing which couples inductively with the antenna in the iPhone. Remember the old glass mount antenna's that everyone used to have as part of their car kit installations? Same principle.

I can assure you 100% that the BMW cradles do improve the signal strength considerably.

Stevelup is quite right. The iPhone connects to the sharkfin aerial via an inductive coupling between the cradle and the phone - no pins or physical connection required.

jer38lms
03-20-2011, 05:03 AM
My 550xi just finished production and is (hopefully) on its way to Toronto, final destination. I purchased the car with BMW APPS (6NF/6NR). Will it automatically come with the media cradle that will take advantage of the BMW's fin antenna?

Titanflux
03-20-2011, 05:07 AM
My 550xi just finished production and is (hopefully) on its way to Toronto, final destination. I purchased the car with BMW APPS (6NF/6NR). Will it automatically come with the media cradle that will take advantage of the BMW's fin antenna?
All snap-in adapters/cradles are dealer accessories that you have to buy. Whether the cradle is available depends which phone you have and which cradle you want. Assuming you mean iPhone 4, the standard cradle you can buy now - this uses the aerial and charges the phone. The media cradle which allows you to use 6NF/6NR is not available for the iPhone 4 until around July.

jer38lms
03-20-2011, 05:14 AM
All snap-in adapters/cradles are dealer accessories that you have to buy. Whether the cradle is available depends which phone you have and which cradle you want. Assuming you mean iPhone 4, the standard cradle you can buy now - this uses the aerial and charges the phone. The media cradle which allows you to use 6NF/6NR is not available for the iPhone 4 until around July.

I see... and then presumably when iPhone 5 comes out, they'll sell a new cradle...

OK - If I was to buy the standard cradle, could you use the 6NF/6NR over bluetooth and the cradle for charge/antenna? Otherwise, how would anyone have access to 6NF/6NR until the new cradle comes out? (apologies if this is a stupid question - I just figured that by checking off BMW APPS all would work).

Titanflux
03-20-2011, 05:17 AM
I see... and then presumably when iPhone 5 comes out, they'll sell a new cradle...

OK - If I was to buy the standard cradle, could you use the 6NF/6NR over bluetooth and the cradle for charge/antenna? Otherwise, how would anyone have access to 6NF/6NR until the new cradle comes out? (apologies if this is a stupid question - I just figured that by checking off BMW APPS all would work).

It took about a year for the iPhone 4 cradles to first come out. No one can use 6NF/6NR properly until the media cradles come out again - they were stopped due to overheating issues. They don't work over Bluetooth. Phone and music will work over Bluetooth, iPod control will work with an apple USB cable.

MSS
03-20-2011, 05:30 AM
My iPhone 4 plays the audio fine through the USB smartphone adapter n arm rest. For others like play emails etc I am hoping for a software upgrade in future. Still have to work out playing audio thru BT

jer38lms
03-20-2011, 05:46 AM
It took about a year for the iPhone 4 cradles to first come out. No one can use 6NF/6NR properly until the media cradles come out again - they were stopped due to overheating issues. They don't work over Bluetooth. Phone and music will work over Bluetooth, iPod control will work with an apple USB cable.

Thanks for the info. How irritating. Did BMW officially announce a July release date? Where did you hear that? My BMW dealer in Toronto has not been helpful at all - he had no idea what BMW APPS was and told me the cradle is available. I'd just like to know what source to look to for updates re: when it will be available.

Titanflux
03-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info. How irritating. Did BMW officially announce a July release date? Where did you hear that? My BMW dealer in Toronto has not been helpful at all - he had no idea what BMW APPS was and told me the cradle is available. I'd just like to know what source to look to for updates re: when it will be available.

Can only suggest via your dealer. My dealer has checked with BMW UK about the expected media cradle availability being June/July. BMW won't formally announce this as such, as they won't want to have people (like us) saying they have a car with options they have paid good money for, which they can't use for several months!

Titanflux
03-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Guys - picked up my car yesterday. I can confirm that Apps (6NR) works fine via the Apple cable without a snap-in adapter. The plugin media aspect of Apps (video from iPhone to media system) doesn't work without a full media cradle - i.e. the cradle that isn't now out until summer.

x-fibre
03-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Titanflux, do you have extended panel and blacked out tacho?

Titanflux
03-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Titanflux, do you have extended panel and blacked out tacho?

No I don't as I didn't order or need HUD.

Titanflux
03-26-2011, 04:42 AM
I can now confirm that 6NR apps works via Apple USB cable without needing the media cradle which isn't out yet. Have posted separate thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529778

The 'Plugin' feature however does not work without the snap in adapter.

Argelius
04-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Got my 535xi with the BMW apps option. So annoyed that the iPhone 4 cradle isn't available until July (let alone what they want to charge for it). Makes no sense to offer the option and then basically say you can't use it for several more (unspecified number of) months...

ksoze
04-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Got my 535xi with the BMW apps option. So annoyed that the iPhone 4 cradle isn't available until July (let alone what they want to charge for it). Makes no sense to offer the option and then basically say you can't use it for several more (unspecified number of) months...

Well, of the initial apps available, 3 of the 5 work without the cradle. The cradle is only required for PlugIn and Video playback. Of those two, PlugIn is the most compelling and promising with the ability to drive the iPod interface and functionality from iDrive, but the other apps work fine sans cradle.

nyranger74
04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
At least the new IPhone will not be out until the fall!!

MSS
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I own a Jan built without 6nr. Any third application to get this functionality.
Pics looked cool
BMW should offer it as a software upgrade for cars with USB adapter