PDA

View Full Version : New Owner IDrive Questions

cmorv
10-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I notice that there is a Google Search option in the Navigation section. It does not seem to work on my car, is this normal? Also, in the Climate section, there is an option to adjust the heating settings of the heated seats. It looks like you can adjust the heat from the lower and upper cushions, but this option does not work on my car, is this normal?

markl53
10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
As far as the seats, was that what you saw in the owner's manual? I think that function is tied to another option, maybe 4-zone HVAC or something else. I don't find it in my Climate menu either. I had seen it on an E60 loaner I had once.

jwrtiger
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Wow I didn't know that there were adjustments for the driver and passenger heating in the iDrive. I just went out to my car and checked and it seems to let me adjust the levels on the iDrive and then remembers them. I will need to check out the manual on this feature. I do have the 4-zone climate control option. Also I think the Google search, maps, and Bloomberg is under an option. It might be that $199.00/year package with the concierge service but I am not sure.

ChgoBob
10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Wow I didn't know that there were adjustments for the driver and passenger heating in the iDrive. I just went out to my car and checked and it seems to let me adjust the levels on the iDrive and then remembers them. I will need to check out the manual on this feature. I do have the 4-zone climate control option. Also I think the Google search, maps, and Bloomberg is under an option. It might be that $199.00/year package with the concierge service but I am not sure.

According to what I was told by BMW Assist, the Google search is available only if you pay for the additional $199.00 concierge servce (I think they call it the convenience package). And that's an annual fee. You can purchase 6 months for $99.00. I opted out on this offer as I can do my Google search before getting in my car, or from my smartphone.

Also, I do not have the 4-zone climate control option and I can see the seat heat adjustments in iDrive.

smhoer
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
I believe the heating adjustment works only with comfort seats. Do you have them?

ChgoBob
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I believe the heating adjustment works only with comfort seats. Do you have them?

Yes, my car does have comfort seats, compliments of "sports package".

cmorv
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I too have the comfort seats, and the heat adjustments shows up in the Idrive, but you cannot change the settings. From the post above, I think you need the 4-zone climate package to adjust heat distribution from the Idrive screen.

jwrtiger
10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
As I mentioned above I was able to change them in the iDrive and I have both the 4-zone climate package and the multi-contour seats. I found the limited information on setting the heat distribution in the manual on page 47.

ChgoBob
10-28-2010, 03:16 PM
I too have the comfort seats, and the heat adjustments shows up in the Idrive, but you cannot change the settings. From the post above, I think you need the 4-zone climate package to adjust heat distribution from the Idrive screen.

I just checked this on my car, and I can change the settings: using iDrive, go to top level menu, select "Settings", then "Climate". You should see an entry "Seat heating distribution", select it and an entry screen comes up with adjustable settings for either driver or passenger seat.

My car has comfort seats via Sports Package. It does not have 4-zone climate option.

markl53
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
I just checked this on my car, and I can change the settings: using iDrive, go to top level menu, select "Settings", then "Climate". You should see an entry "Seat heating distribution", select it and an entry screen comes up with adjustable settings for either driver or passenger seat.

My car has comfort seats via Sports Package. It does not have 4-zone climate option.

OK, then it must be the multi-contour seats. I have the standard seats an standard HVAC.

cmorv
10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
That is strange, I have comfort seats, no 4-zone climate. The option is there in the I-Drive, but cannot change the setting. Chicago Bob, did you try to adjust the temp distribution? I cannot change ton my car?

Kamdog
10-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Uhhhh, do you guys have heated seats?

markl53
10-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Uhhhh, do you guys have heated seats?

I have heated standard leather seats, standard HVAC, no seat heat distribution setting showing in iDrive.

pharding
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
I have the ventilated and heated comfort seats, I can change the settings in the iDrive menu.

MooseF10
10-28-2010, 07:38 PM
For the guys that have the ability to adjust the distribution, how effective is it? I have been driving my wife's CLK 500 and love the heated seats but wish I could tone down the bottom seat cushion heating and keep the back cushion heating dialed up. Not an option on her car. My incoming 550 should have the ability to adjust the distribution based on the options ordered and the above feedback. I recently drove an Audi and dialed the seat heat all the way to max and could barely feel the seats getting warm. At least the Merc can roast my hynie even if I can't adjust the distribution.

550 M Sport, Nappa, Cold wx pkg, 4 zone HVAC, active ventilation.............

laser
10-29-2010, 05:05 AM
wish I could tone down the bottom seat cushion heating and keep the back cushion heating dialed up.

The seats are hot! Still wearing shorts in Atlanta but this morning was 45 degrees.

Sport, Comfort.

Through I-Drive / Menu / Settings / Climate .... brings up 2 sliders for driver and passenger.

Can go from all seat no back to balanced to all back no seat.

Also I believe a limited Google search is available with the payment of annual $199 for the BMW Assist Convenience Plan. Glossy one page brochure with my car describes access to stock indices, Google Maps (within the in car database), gas stations and fuel prices, weather ..... not full internet access.

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 05:43 AM
So can you adjust the heat distribution on standard seats?

MooseF10
10-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks Laser. Exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:

I was reading the manual online while waiting for the car to arrive and was pretty pleased when I saw this feature to ajust seat heat distribution. I use seat heat year round.

cmorv
10-29-2010, 06:07 AM
It seems that you need either the 4-zone climate option or ventilated seat option be have the ability to adjusts the seats. Can someone comfirm if this is NOT the case. I have M-Sport option, but neither of the two options listed above, and I cannot change the settings, although they do appear in the Idrive.

laser
10-29-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't have 4 zone or vent seats and can adjust.

Sport package on 535i which includes Comfort seats, Premium Package 2 which includes heated seats.

markl53
10-29-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't have 4 zone or vent seats and can adjust.

Sport package on 535i which includes Comfort seats, Premium Package 2 which includes heated seats.

We're not saying ventilated seats are required, but multi-contour seats. It seems nobody (including me) with standard heated seats can make the distribution adjustment. In fact, the option does not appear in the Climate section of the settings for me.

markl53
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
It seems that you need either the 4-zone climate option or ventilated seat option be have the ability to adjusts the seats. Can someone comfirm if this is NOT the case. I have M-Sport option, but neither of the two options listed above, and I cannot change the settings, although they do appear in the Idrive.

I think we said multi-contour is sufficient for the option, not necessarily ventilated, correct?

markl53
10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
wish I could tone down the bottom seat cushion heating and keep the back cushion heating dialed up.

The seats are hot! Still wearing shorts in Atlanta but this morning was 45 degrees.

I tried the lowest setting of my seats once or twice when it was cool. They seemed quite a bit warmer than the low setting of my 2 previous 3-series. A little too warm on "low" IMO.

dunccfp
10-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Not so I have adjustment and no 4 zone

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I tried the lowest setting of my seats once or twice when it was cool. They seemed quite a bit warmer than the low setting of my 2 previous 3-series. A little too warm on "low" IMO.

Can the ranges be adjusted?

On my Volvo, the dealer can access the car and select three temperature settings for the hi and low settings on the heated seats. Anything like this on the BMW's?

cmorv
10-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm thinking there's something wrong with my car. I have multi-contour seats, no venting, and I cannot adjust the temp through the Idrive?

markl53
10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm thinking there's something wrong with my car. I have multi-contour seats, no venting, and I cannot adjust the temp through the Idrive?

Agree. The fact that you can see the adjustment and cannot change it seems like a problem. As I mentioned, with my standard heated seats, I don't even see the option in the Climate section via iDrive (which in my case I think is normal).