PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Had the Recall Done on the Fuel Level Sensor?

BMWTX
10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Was wondering if your gas guage reading is ok after installation. My guage won't peg all the way to full even with a full tank of gas.

FPNY
10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't like the way mine goes down as I'm driving around....

blulite
10-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Was wondering if your gas guage reading is ok after installation. My guage won't peg all the way to full even with a full tank of gas.

I just had mine done yesterday, and I need to fill the tank tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Jeff

sbron
10-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Mine was replaced and I had the same problem, it would not peg. Would go just above 3/4. Was leaving on a trip when I discovered it with no time to fix before I left. On the trip I also found that it did not go down in a linear fashion. Also on the trip a break wear sensor fell off and was ground up by the wheel. That prompted a stop in California where the break sensor was replaced and they found a "pinched " wire on the fuel sensor that they fixed. That did not fix the problem so I took the car back. I was told that they pulled a new sensor from stock and compared various electrical readings and found the problem. Man that worked on it came out and told me that it was fixed for sure but I was in the car and leaving at the time. No 2nd work order was issued so I don't know what was done the 2nd visit but they did solve the problem. I never had a problem with the original sensor but my 335i was part of the recall. Dealer should be able to figure yours out too I bet.

BMWTX
10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for responding sbron. Do you mind providing the name of your dealer in case my dealer needs some help with this?

sbron
10-29-2010, 06:13 AM
The fix was done at "East Bay BMW" in Pleasanton, CA. I live in Texas but I used to live in this area and had bought a car from them back in 2002. Best BMW dealer I have had the occasion to deal with anywhere. This work took place on 10/13 and 10/14/2010.

bbmertz
11-06-2010, 12:12 AM
I had the fuel sensor repair done today and had no problem with the gauge when filling up the tank immediately afterwards.

Mr2012
11-06-2010, 01:34 AM
I had the fuel sensor repair done today and had no problem with the gauge when filling up the tank immediately afterwards.
So did the fuel gauge go all the way up or did it stop just before the full marker dashed line? My car does that and I am not really sure if it needs the recall or not, it's a July built 550i.

blulite
11-06-2010, 03:18 AM
I had the recall done last week, and gauge goes all the way to "F".

BMWTX
11-06-2010, 04:34 AM
So did the fuel gauge go all the way up or did it stop just before the full marker dashed line? My car does that and I am not really sure if it needs the recall or not, it's a July built 550i.
The gauge stopped at 7/8 full. However, after burning up 8 gallons of gas driving around, I filled the tank and the gas gauge pegged to full. The instructions in the recall letter said to fil the tank before taking it to the dealer for the fix. This is the wrong thing to do, apparently, ss some folks did not fill up and had no problem after the fix when they filled up the tank.

pharding
11-06-2010, 04:45 AM
My fuel gauge was replaced at the VPC about September 25 after doing BMW European delivery. When the tank is full it aligns perfectly with the full mark. It goes down in a linear fashion. It aligns perfectly with the empty mark the sensor reads that I have 0 miles to go before empty.

If your fuel gauge does align perfectly on a BMW I would tell the dealer to get it fixed properly. What is the point of a fuel gauge if it does not function accurately? The whole point of the recall was to replace a fuel gauge that did not function properly.

2008550I
11-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Had mine replaced. I had never had any problem with my gas levels but decided on a pre-emptive move. Went in with just under half a tank of gas. Picked up the car the tank was on empty. SA told me the tech wasted about 1 gal in the remove/replace. Obviously it was more than that. I did have a 1 series loaner for the day. Loaner used so little gas, didn't have to replace (loaner is free but dealer charges for gas unless it's replaced). Did tell'em about in the service follow-up questionnaire.