PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic tint?

MooseF10
10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
My car is close to arrival. Dealer says it is time to think about tint. Has anyone had experience with ceramic tint? Salesman was not pushing it but said it keeps the car significantly cooler than the old style film. The big issue is that it costs twice as much. About $500 (before negotiating it lower). I'm in a hot climate with a dark car and black interior so I will tint. Just not familiar with the new ceramic tint. :confused:

lushmore
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I got mine done about a month ago (50% front, 20% rear) and paid $300 for ceramic (llumar). It really does help with the heat--on really sunny days I use the windshield reflector and the car doesn't get nearly as hot as before the tint.

I didn't go any darker because I was paranoid about tickets (California) and I want to be able to see at night. I wouldn't change anything.

The only bummer is that you can't use window cleaner with ammonia, so I'm a little paranoid to take the car to the carwash. I've been washing it myself and using "invisible glass" cleaner without ammonia.

TJPark01
10-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Don't let the dealer hose you on tint. I got Ceramic tint. $220 includes tax and lifetime warranty.

MooseF10
10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks Gents. I have not begun to negotiate the cost yet but your feedback is very helpful. I now have a couple starting points. His initial indication of $500 did seem high. Appreciate the feedback.

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 04:54 AM
Don't let the dealer hose you on tint. I got Ceramic tint. $220 includes tax and lifetime warranty.

That's pretty cheap. What brand did you use?

Typically, Huper Optik ceramic is great - but expensive. About $350 - $400 for the average sedan.

Does the car have antennas buried in the windows like older 5 series? My dad had an E39 5er and when he put metallic tint on the car his AM radio all but disappeared. Ceramic tint does not have that effect but not sure if it's an issue on these cars.

B-1 Pilot
10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
That's pretty cheap. What brand did you use?

Typically, Huper Optik ceramic is great - but expensive. About $350 - $400 for the average sedan.

Does the car have antennas buried in the windows like older 5 series? My dad had an E39 5er and when he put metallic tint on the car his AM radio all but disappeared. Ceramic tint does not have that effect but not sure if it's an issue on these cars.

+1

Not all ceramic tints are the same... Huper Optik or 3M's crystalline are top of the line in performance and cost (3M also has a one-step down ceramic line thats not bad). Of course you are going to get what you pay for, but it behooves to research these and determine how much tint and how much thermal blockage you want. There is a correlation, but depending on the brand and quality it may vary. I personally think that this a very smart investment if you plan to have the car for more than a couple years, just in life on the interior dash and leather. It is also very nice at temperature control. (I personally hate having a perfectly air-conditioned car, but having direct sunlight bake my arm or head)

Cheers!

B-1

jeffmatt
10-29-2010, 08:30 AM
I put FormulaOne Pinnacle Series tint on my 528. It is a ceramic tint. I like the ceramic tints very much because you get greater heat reduction without the dark dark tint. I have been very happy with it since installed.

The only drawback is that I had to go to Orange County (I live in San Diego) to find an installer with a good reputation. I think I paid $325 for everything but the windshield and moonroof.

Good luck.

f10owner
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I just got Llumar cermaic CTX30 on the sides and rear windows for $270. Looks good with the deep sea blue,

MR_BMW328i
11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I had huper optik installed on mine and it's really effective blocking heat and sunlight (30% all around) in houston, texas. The price is in the high end but you're getting a high end quality film. Visibility at night is great. Do a search on "huper optik" and you can check my pics on my 328i coupe.

sambb
11-01-2010, 07:08 PM
expensive from dealer, but ceramic is the way to go, maybe a 3rd party is better

MBlack78
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I just got Llumar cermaic CTX30 on the sides and rear windows for $270. Looks good with the deep sea blue,

Would love to see some pics. I've got a DSB on order and will probably tint mine

MooseF10
11-02-2010, 05:46 AM
I had huper optik installed on mine and it's really effective blocking heat and sunlight (30% all around) in houston, texas. The price is in the high end but you're getting a high end quality film. Visibility at night is great. Do a search on "huper optik" and you can check my pics on my 328i coupe.

Sent you a PM :thumbup:

brandonw
11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I got quoted $349 from my dealer, which only does ceramic tint. They use DigiCut with Nano technology (something along those lines anyway). I saw a car they did the day I took delivery and it looked really good. He say the kits they use are pre-cut for the car. Its 35% light and reduced heat 76%. Anyone ever heard of DigiCut?

TJPark01
11-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I got quoted $349 from my dealer, which only does ceramic tint. They use DigiCut with Nano technology (something along those lines anyway). I saw a car they did the day I took delivery and it looked really good. He say the kits they use are pre-cut for the car. Its 35% light and reduced heat 76%. Anyone ever heard of DigiCut?

That's way too much. Should be $200-250 max for high end ceramic tint, all 5 windows. Never heard of DigiCut. Honestly, the film, if it's decent quality, is less important than the installation. Good high end ceramic film will give you a life time warranty. It's not the film that is expensive, it's the labor. That is where the difference is.

brandonw
11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
That's way too much. Should be $200-250 max for high end ceramic tint, all 5 windows. Never heard of DigiCut. Honestly, the film, if it's decent quality, is less important than the installation. Good high end ceramic film will give you a life time warranty. It's not the film that is expensive, it's the labor. That is where the difference is.

Thanks TJPark. You are absolutely correct that a tint is only as good as the installation. A bad install can make the most expensive film worthless and ugly.

TJPark01
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Interior color makes a difference in the color of the tint as well. I have black interior so it makes the 35% look even darker. Personally, I think 35 is the darkest one should go. Although 20% looks great in bright sunlight. It hinders your vision at night and during cloudy or inclement weather days, it's hard to see out of the car. Also, It's a little too drive-by hitman style for me. The ceramic tint I got looks darker from the outside than from the inside too, especially if you have a dark interior...

B-1 Pilot
11-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Has anyone attempted to put 70 on their windshield? I know it is taking a ticketing risk, but the barely visible tinting is hard to see unless right next to another car, and the 40% heat reflection (3M crystalline spec) om the biggest piece of glass on the car has to be nice.

f10owner
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Would love to see some pics. I've got a DSB on order and will probably tint mine

After I wash it this weekend, I will try to take some pics.

MR_BMW328i
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
huper optik 30% black on black all around

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47/mr_bmw328i/IMG_0427.jpg
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47/mr_bmw328i/IMG_0432.jpg

alex_c
11-06-2010, 06:13 AM
huper optik 30% black on black all around

Looks nice!

I see that you are in the Houston area... would you mind saying where did you have it done and aprox. cost?

Thanks.

MooseF10
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Looks nice!

I see that you are in the Houston area... would you mind saying where did you have it done and aprox. cost?

Thanks.

Alex, I had mine done at the same place today. It is Sun Shield Window Tint in Sugarland on Murphy road near 59. They are the only Huper Optik dealer in the area. A couple things to warn you about:

1) One guy said don't roll windows down for 72 hours but the other guy there said don't roll them down for 3 weeks! He said 72 is for normal tint and 3 weeks is for the ceramic.

2) Within a few hours of leaving, there were bubbles everywhere. They (and the Huper warranty card) said it may take 7-10 weeks for the tint to cure and the bubbles to go away.

I do love the color. It is 30% all the way around. I just hope the bubbles go away as promised. 10 weeks is a long time to wait. Here are some photos:

alex_c
11-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow, it DOES look nice with your -our- color!

I'll try to go this week.

Thanks!

Alex.

MR_BMW328i
11-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Alex,

If you want to check how it looks like in person before going, I can meet you up somewhere near that place. Sorry MOOSEF10, I didnt offer that to you but I'm sure you're satisfied with the results.

f10owner
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Here's some pics of my DSB with the Llumar CTX30 tint

MBlack78
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Gorgeous, thanks for posting. I'm hoping to take delivery of my DSB F10 this week or next, depending on VPC. Tint looks fantastic with the shadowline trim too.

Tsa1
11-08-2010, 02:56 AM
In the area where I live, I NEED 20% and under tint. It's not really because of the sun/heat its because of SUV's and Trucks! 1 out of 4 have some sort of lift and when they are behind me at night their headlights really bother me! Sigh.

So as far as ceramic tint, $2-300 installed is a decent price?

TJPark01
11-08-2010, 07:27 AM
In the area where I live, I NEED 20% and under tint. It's not really because of the sun/heat its because of SUV's and Trucks! 1 out of 4 have some sort of lift and when they are behind me at night their headlights really bother me! Sigh.

In LA 200 is right, 300 is high for ceramic tint. If you live anywhere near Van Nuys and the 101, PM me, I know of a good place.

x5 '08
11-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Is that Carbon Black or Imperial Blue?

jimefam
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Is that Carbon Black or Imperial Blue?

DSB= deep sea blue I believe.

x5 '08
11-08-2010, 08:13 AM
DSB= deep sea blue I believe.

Ah, thanks. Very hot...

f10owner
11-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks. It's nice to know the hours I spent detailing it is appreciated. You can't see it there, but I got a clear bra on it too when it was tinted.

MR_BMW328i
11-08-2010, 05:54 PM

A simple solution to your problem is to just get a rear view auto dimmer mirror. Heck, get a pair of side dimmers too and all your problems are gone.:thumbup:

TJPark01
11-08-2010, 06:21 PM
A simple solution to your problem is to just get a rear view auto dimmer mirror. Heck, get a pair of side dimmers too and all your problems are gone.:thumbup:

I think you get both those with the premium package. Something to think about for sure.

Rafa
11-08-2010, 06:27 PM
The rear curtain would also help, and is electrically operated.

Bimmer_Mania
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Caution, There are many companies that claim to have a Ceramic Film due to the popularity of Ceramic. What many companies due is to add Nano-Ceramic Technology to their product hence Technology which is different to a actual Ceramic Film that has No Metals or Dyes in them. When I was thinking about the right tint for my vehicle I got many brochures and visited many tint shops. All of these brochures clearly stated that they had NO METALS however when it came down to clearly state that NO DYES where in their product most of them someone forgot to place it in writting. I even e-mailed Huper Optik, LLumar, and 3M, till now several months after my initial e-mail only HO replied back. Also, there are more Companies that Rebox window film than actual manufacturers. These rebox companies will quickly slap the ceramic name to sale their film faster or gain a competitive edge. That said I think Huper Optik Ceramic is by far well worth the investment. Performance is a given when tested, however there are many more benefits such as clarity, more UV protection, thickness and above all HO Ceramic is inert

alex_c
11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Quick question for TJPark and f10owner: What brand of tint did you use. Also, can you notice a white shade around the back window (where the dots are, close to the edge), as well as around the Hoffmeister Kink on the rear windows? I noticed this on many tinted vehicles and I don't like it. I was about to do the Huper Optik this week and noticed that on a car on site, and I decided not to have it done.

Any advice will be appreciated.

TJPark01
11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Quick question for TJPark and f10owner: What brand of tint did you use. Also, can you notice a white shade around the back window (where the dots are, close to the edge), as well as around the Hoffmeister Kink on the rear windows? I noticed this on many tinted vehicles and I don't like it. I was about to do the Huper Optik this week and noticed that on a car on site, and I decided not to have it done.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Madico Wincos.
White shade around the back window, not sure what you mean. Any chance you can take a pic or elaborate?
At then end of the day, most of the high quality premium film out there will do it's job. The greatest variables will be will the installation. The place I got it done, only does window tint, nothing else. They don't install radios, or auto alarms, detail cars or anything else other than tint.

dalekressin
11-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow, it DOES look nice with your -our- color!

I'll try to go this week.

Thanks!

Alex.

+1 agree

Rafa
11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know a good tinting shop in the Miami area?

Needsdecaf
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Alex, I had mine done at the same place today. It is Sun Shield Window Tint in Sugarland on Murphy road near 59. They are the only Huper Optik dealer in the area. A couple things to warn you about:

1) One guy said don't roll windows down for 72 hours but the other guy there said don't roll them down for 3 weeks! He said 72 is for normal tint and 3 weeks is for the ceramic.

2) Within a few hours of leaving, there were bubbles everywhere. They (and the Huper warranty card) said it may take 7-10 weeks for the tint to cure and the bubbles to go away.

I do love the color. It is 30% all the way around. I just hope the bubbles go away as promised. 10 weeks is a long time to wait. Here are some photos:

Moose, what % is this?

gr8nrg
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't know about ceramic tint, but I had my car tinted with SunTek Carbon XP/Ultimate tint with computer film cutting - all windows (except windshield) for $229. 35% on the front windows, 18% everywhere else. See my sig for pics. :)