PDA

View Full Version : 2011 BMW 550i multi contour seat issue

skeet550i2011
10-29-2010, 03:02 AM
I recently ordered a 2011 BMW 550i. When it arrived, the seats that I expected were missing a feature that I wanted and expected.

The multicontour seats are supposed to have the "midback width" (pump up/wrap around sides) adjustable function as they did on the 2010 5 series multicontour seats and as is included in the 2011 5 series Grand Turismo, the 2011 X5 and the 2011 7 series.

For some odd reason BMW seems to have short changed the purchasers of the 2011 5 series with multicontour seats by removing the very nice "midback width" feature on the 5 series only.

It was implied that the feature would exist on the multicontour seats prior to purchase.
The 2011 550i owners manual shows the buttons that control the midback width function as an included feature, but the 2 round buttons controlling the midback width are not present on the 2011 550i seats! I've tried dealing with the dealer and BMW in Munich. After both have promised to get back to me with an answer, both have decided to ignore my inquiries now. They could have chosen to make things right (order and install the right seats as promised or give me a seat refund) but instead they have wrongly chosen to stonewall and no longer respond. Bad business practice to ignore customers. It only encourages negative action from owners who could have easily been satisified with a respectful attempt to determine the reason and give a straight answer.

Any other 2011 5 series owners out there who ordered and paid for multicontour seats and expected the midback width (wrap around sides) function and were unpleasantly surprised when it was not included on arrival?

bfv
10-29-2010, 06:29 AM
i think BMW called it "sports seats" previously (or they still do in Europe) but they took that function in multicontour seats and did not update the manual. I guess they are too busy with recalls ! You will see those buttons on European models.

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 06:42 AM
There is another thread discussing this. Note that the multi-contour seats went from 20-way to 18-way.

Elias
10-29-2010, 08:31 AM
There is another thread discussing this. Note that the multi-contour seats went from 20-way to 18-way.

That's BS did the price reflect this deduction? I have it on my 535i and I love it, why would BMW digress in their quest for the Ultimate Driving Machine by eliminating this great feature.:confused:

dalekressin
10-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Disapointing.
Seems like changes in various policies are underway (annual oil change have fortunately returned).

markl53
10-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Disapointing.
Seems like changes in various policies are underway (annual oil change have fortunately returned).

And why do we want to see your tooth x-ray on all your posts?

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 09:40 AM
And why do we want to see your tooth x-ray on all your posts?

Exactly... :confused:

markl53
10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I know some of you are disappointed that the seats have apparently changed. However, all manufacturers typically state that modifications may be made at any time without prior notification. The BMW 535i/550i online manual states:

"The manufacturer of your vehicle pursues a policy
of constant development that is conceived
to ensure that our vehicles continue to embody
the highest quality and safety standards. In rare
cases, therefore, the features described in this
Owner's Manual may differ from those in your
vehicle."

This is BMW's "out" for making changes they wish to make. They aren't going to be obligated to explain much or reduce the price -- it's part of sales and manufacturing. Whether this is right or wrong I can't say, I'm just stating what I've read many times in all car manuals and brochures.

johnbmw6
10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I have included "Comfort Seats" instead of "Sport Seats" on my order, the Comfort seats are 18 way adjustable ( or 20 way not sure till the car arrives) the sports seats are NOT.
This option cost me 360.00 extra as an option on the 550i M sport. ( in the UK)

chrischeung
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
It was implied that the feature would exist on the multicontour seats prior to purchase.

I'm not sure that is true. All the marketing information from day 1 in the USA I believe has been 18 way seats. The reason it was removed, I was told, was that without it, fatter people feel more comfortable. And the US is one of the largest markets. However, it wouldn't take much to convince me that it is a small cost saving initiative. I think it is 20 way in other parts of the world.

TLPTX
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I read your thread on this and I have just ordered a 550i with the multi-contour seat option and expected that it would be the same as my 2008 535i. I was very upset to hear that they removed this feature. It was the one thing that I liked most about the seat as it would hold you in place during agressive driving....I thought that was the experience that BMW was selling. It was the one feature all of my front passengers always commented they liked about the car because it would snug them into the seat when I started the car. There are many new great features on the 550i but I can't beleive that they would take a feature like this away from the car. Obviously a one-size fits all bolster is not very acceptable. It is a bit ridiculous to remove something like this that probably added less than $50 to a car I am paying over $74K for.

1HOT BMR
12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
It is a bit ridiculous to remove something like this that probably added less than $50 to a car I am paying over $74K for.

I believe this is available in other countries but . . . check the price of your car in Singapore and you may feel a little better about the lack of this feature :D

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_listing.php?MOD=BMW

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

I would like to have it too but the seat feels pretty good to me just the way it is. The exclusion from USA bound cars might have something to do with our reputation around the world in terms of our citizens size and not because of the additional cost.

ihumphrey
12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I believe this is available in other countries but . . . check the price of your car in Singapore and you may feel a little better about the lack of this feature :D

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_listing.php?MOD=BMW

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

I would like to have it too but the seat feels pretty good to me just the way it is. The exclusion from USA bound cars might have something to do with our reputation around the world in terms of our citizens size and not because of the additional cost.

Not sure why they did this in the US and not other markets, of course BMW isnot saying anything...however, if it was the US market that caused the change then why change it on the F10 but not the F01 or F07?? They both still have the 20 way seats (so does the X5), not sure about the 3er and 1er...

Sherman B
12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I read your thread on this and I have just ordered a 550i with the multi-contour seat option and expected that it would be the same as my 2008 535i. I was very upset to hear that they removed this feature. It was the one thing that I liked most about the seat as it would hold you in place during agressive driving....I thought that was the experience that BMW was selling. It was the one feature all of my front passengers always commented they liked about the car because it would snug them into the seat when I started the car. There are many new great features on the 550i but I can't beleive that they would take a feature like this away from the car. Obviously a one-size fits all bolster is not very acceptable. It is a bit ridiculous to remove something like this that probably added less than $50 to a car I am paying over $74K for.

+1 :tsk:

SANguru
12-07-2010, 11:24 PM
this is kind of a funny thread considering that I paid an extra $5k per seat back in 2006 on my weekend car with only 2 manual adjustments. The 458 Italia sport seats are even more! :angel:

solstice
12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
this is kind of a funny thread considering that I paid an extra $5k per seat back in 2006 on my weekend car with only 2 manual adjustments. The 458 Italia sport seats are even more! :angel:

Yeah but just look at those seats and side bolsters. I would swap my 18 way multi-whatever in a heartbeat for those prancing horse beauties with their 2 manual adjustments.

gcreese
12-08-2010, 03:03 AM
I read, as someone said above, that this is BMW NA's concession to fat Americans. Stadium and theatre seats are getting wider in the U.S.; BMW NA felt the need to do the same.

Needsdecaf
12-08-2010, 06:22 AM
I read, as someone said above, that this is BMW NA's concession to fat Americans. Stadium and theatre seats are getting wider in the U.S.; BMW NA felt the need to do the same.

What I can't understand is that the 7 series still has the adjustments.

markl53
12-08-2010, 08:13 AM

I don't have the multi-contour seats. However, this argument doesn't seem to make sense. If someone is "too large", then they can simply choose not to tighten the bolster.

TLPTX
12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
I would doubt that a company as reputable as BMW would generalize the entire US population as fat. At least the former adjustable bolsters could accommodate many sizes of people.

johnbmw6
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM
The bolsters ARE adjustable on UK comfort seats :angel:

AzNMpower32
12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
BMW probably felt the seat width was a feature that most Americans wouldn't notice the omission of. Saves them a substantial amount of money per seat. Given the paltry sum we pay for BMWs in the US, its not surprising (I cringe when I see red LED blinkers in the taillights but that's another discussion) nor unwarranted.

The multi-contour seats are 20-way outside the North American market. See this ad: http://www.autoscout24.de/NewMarketDetails.aspx?id=bsgqa4gw32vk

BimmerUKF10
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM
The thing what I don't get is where the '20' adjustments are! I'm in the UK and have comfort seats with the two buttons for side bolster adjetment, but I can only count 18 way as follows:-

Bolsters: in / out
Lumbar: 4 way
head: rest up / down
seat position: back / forward
seat height: up / down
backrest incline :forward / back
top backrest incline: forward / back
Thigh support: forward / back

Are there two 'magic' settings I've missed? :-)

johnbmw6
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
The thing what I don't get is where the '20' adjustments are! I'm in the UK and have comfort seats with the two buttons for side bolster adjetment, but I can only count 18 way as follows:-

Are there two 'magic' settings I've missed? :-) Nope I think thats it, hold on though,what about decline/incline of the seats:bigpimp:

BimmerUKF10
12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Got that! So does this mean we get 18 way in the UK, 16 way in the US and the Germans get another two 'mistery' settings? :-)

user1796
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
This issue with the seats was pointed out in several magazine reviews of the 5-series that I read. Reviewers also thought that it was stupid to leave it in the 7 series and remove it in the 5

AzNMpower32
12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Are there two 'magic' settings I've missed? :-)
You forgot the bottom cushion angle: the front of the cushion tilted further up/down.

BimmerUKF10
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
You forgot the bottom cushion angle: the front of the cushion tilted further up/down.

Cool! How do I adjust that? You mean you can adjust the angle of the thigh support cushion or something else?

AzNMpower32
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Cool! How do I adjust that? You mean you can adjust the angle of the thigh support cushion or something else?
One can adjust the angle of the the actual bottom cushion (not the thigh support portion) and this goes for ANY BMW.

Simply "twist" the bottom cushion adjustment knob as pictured (like, push the front half of the button up and the back half down simultaneously)

BimmerUKF10
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow! I missed that! Will try it tomorrow - thanks!

quackbury
12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
What I can't understand is that the 7 series still has the adjustments.

So does my 2011 X5 35D

BimmerUKF10
12-09-2010, 02:53 AM
One can adjust the angle of the the actual bottom cushion (not the thigh support portion) and this goes for ANY BMW.

Simply "twist" the bottom cushion adjustment knob as pictured (like, push the front half of the button up and the back half down simultaneously)

Thanks - I just tried this and what a difference! I thought the seats were comfortable before, now it's like sitting in my lounge! Much appreciated!

So conclusion is - yes - the seats are indeed 20 way.

anthony@empireleasing
12-10-2010, 09:55 AM
The side bolster adjustment being missing is a scam if you pay for ventilation seats the car shouldn't loose standard adjustment it should have more its not give and take

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp