PDA

View Full Version : Will the M Sport Wheel be available as an accessory?

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Been out of the world of BMW's for a while, so I would like to know: does BMW typically sell their higher-end steering wheels as an option? Considering it uses the same airbag, it should be a very easy swap.

I know that in my Acura, for instance, the thicker wood / leather steering wheel is an option that can be dealer added (or self-added for those with a decent set of skills). However, so are gold emblems and ridiculous bully bars on the front and rear. :rofl:

Unfortunately my budget is a little smaller than my wish list. Between that, and liking the 18's rather than the hazardous in the DC area 19's, I might end up with a non-sport package car, so it would really take the sting off if I could pick up the wheel afterwards.

Thanks!

MooseF10
10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
The sport package has a similar steering wheel. From photos, it appears the difference between the sport package wheel and the M sport wheel is there is a trim piece on the wheel that is silver on the sport package wheel and black on the M sport. The M sport wheel also has the M logo. Otherwise, they are both thicker than the standard wheel. Some say they think the M wheel has bumps or is thicker but I have yet to verify that. Other than cosmetic trim, it looks like both the M sport and the sport package steering wheels are the same.

If anyone knows if the M sport wheel is actually thicker than the sport package wheel, jump in.

You should be able to swap steering wheels through your dealer. It is not a factory option though since parkages determine the wheel. Expect to pay up since the dealer will probably not give you much credit for your standard wheel and airbag.

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
The sport package has a similar steering wheel. From photos, it appears the difference between the sport package wheel and the M sport wheel is there is a trim piece on the wheel that is silver on the sport package wheel and black on the M sport. The M sport wheel also has the M logo. Otherwise, they are both thicker than the standard wheel. Some say they think the M wheel has bumps or is thicker but I have yet to verify that. Other than cosmetic trim, it looks like both the M sport and the sport package steering wheels are the same.

If anyone knows if the M sport wheel is actually thicker than the sport package wheel, jump in.

You should be able to swap steering wheels through your dealer. It is not a factory option though since parkages determine the wheel. Expect to pay up since the dealer will probably not give you much credit for your standard wheel and airbag.

I have sat in several sport package equipped cars. From the photo above, the M Sport wheel is notably thicker.

I know it won't be a factory option. Just wondering if it's a dealer option...or if I could just order the part. It doesn't appear to have a different airbag boss, so the swap should be straightforward.

LMC
10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I have sat in several sport package equipped cars. From the photo above, the M Sport wheel is notably thicker.

I know it won't be a factory option. Just wondering if it's a dealer option...or if I could just order the part. It doesn't appear to have a different airbag boss, so the swap should be straightforward.

It's a factory option in the rest of the world. Parts counter here in the USA.

Needsdecaf
10-29-2010, 11:03 AM
It's a factory option in the rest of the world. Parts counter here in the USA.

Cool.

I would be interested in knowing of someone who has done the swap or had it done, to verify that the airbag will match up 100%. You never know these days.....