PDA

View Full Version : Side mirrors on ED cars

kenhamm
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I noticed when I took Welt delivery of my 550i that the side mirrors were the same as the non US models, magnified outer sections with a dotted line at about the last quater part of the mirror, so you can see an approaching car a bit better. I thought both mirrors had this feature (which i really like) but cant remember if the driver side was the same as the passenger side. When I took re-delivery, I noticed that the right mirror still had the dotted line, but the magnification was missing and the driver side mirror had no lines and no magnification also, the right hand mirror does not have that annoying little message "objects appear closer than they really are" or some crap like that.

Has anyone else in the US who did ED have this happen and can anyone in Germany with an F10 please send a pic or let me know if the magnified section of the side mirrors are on both the driver and passenger sides. Comments are welcome on this BTW.

tunafish
10-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I noticed when I took Welt delivery of my 550i that the side mirrors were the same as the non US models, magnified outer sections with a dotted line at about the last quater part of the mirror, so you can see an approaching car a bit better. I thought both mirrors had this feature (which i really like) but cant remember if the driver side was the same as the passenger side. When I took re-delivery, I noticed that the right mirror still had the dotted line, but the magnification was missing and the driver side mirror had no lines and no magnification also, the right hand mirror does not have that annoying little message "objects appear closer than they really are" or some crap like that.

Has anyone else in the US who did ED have this happen and can anyone in Germany with an F10 please send a pic or let me know if the magnified section of the side mirrors are on both the driver and passenger sides. Comments are welcome on this BTW.

If I remember correctly, the F10 (Euro spec) rental car i drove for a while in Germany had a slightly convex driver side mirror and a flat passenger side mirror. My US spec F10 (which was an ED car) is the opposite. I liked the convex driver side mirror, although the distortion took time to get used to.

nosnoop
10-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I noticed when I took Welt delivery of my 550i that the side mirrors were the same as the non US models, magnified outer sections with a dotted line at about the last quater part of the mirror, so you can see an approaching car a bit better.

These are called "aspherical" mirror or "split mirror" (though there is no physical "split" in the mirror). Depending on which region the car is sold, it can be driver side only or on both sides (or none.... as in north america).

tunafish
10-30-2010, 08:33 AM
These are called "aspherical" mirror or "split mirror" (though there is no physical "split" in the mirror). Depending on which region the car is sold, it can be driver side only or on both sides (or none.... as in north america).

I believe all US cars (I don't know about Canada) have flat (plano) mirrors on the driver's side and simple convex (not aspherical) mirrors on the passenger's side. The convex passenger's side mirror covers a wider field of view and consequently the image is smaller. This is the reason for the somewhat silly, but true, writing on the mirror that objects are closer than they appear. As far as I can tell, these are not aspherical, in that the radius of curvature (and hence the minification) is constant.

The aspherical mirrors are not available in the US but can be purchased on-line. The inner section is similar to the convex mirror in the standard US passenger mirror, but the outer 20% or so has greater curvature and covers a wider field of view. The downside is a lot of distortion that you must get used to.

AzNMpower32
10-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah, it's a European-spec thing.

I put them both on my X3 and the 325i, adds a good margin of safety and eliminates the blind spot. Compared with the standard mirror, the wide-angle is better than simply adjusting the mirrors outward by themselves.

When I drive cars without the aspheric mirror (which is every other car in the US), I feel like I'm blind on my left side! :eeps:

markl53
10-30-2010, 10:41 AM
When I drive cars without the aspheric mirror (which is every other car in the US), I feel like I'm blind on my left side! :eeps:

Perhaps some on the forum are not setting side mirrors "correctly". If you still use the method taught years ago, you are seeing part of the side of your car in the left side mirror. You should be setting the mirrors much further out, to act as an extension of the inside rearview. Takes a little getting used to, but once mastered, there are absolutely no blind spots.

While driving, or if possible when stopped in traffic, get into position next to a smallish car, once on each side of the car. While jockeying into position, set that side mirror so that you can just see the rear of that car in the mirror while you see the front of it in your peripheral vision. When properly set, as you glance into the mirror, you'll see the rear of the car next to you while you see the front of it peripherally (not in the mirror) with a very slight side glance. If you set them when next to a small car you can ensure that the mirror is set far enough outward so you'll still see the rear of the target car in the mirror.

savela
10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Anybody know where I can order the aspherical missors for my F10? I currently have them on my Passat and absolutely love them. TIA

kenhamm
10-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Thank you all, I now know what to call the effect "aspheric". Let me re-define what I am asking. When I took delivery of my car at the Welt, the mirrors were European spec, the outside section of the mirrors were aspheric with a dotted line separating the difference between aspheric and flat. I had noticed this effect on cars i rented in Germany (bmw's, merc, audi's) and I was pleasantly surprised. When I took re-delivery in the US, the mirrors were different, the driver side was flat, the passenger side was unchanged. Has anyone else experienced this, I think it was a mistake during the build process, but not sure how to proceed. Evidently, there was some reason for BMW to switch out the driver side mirror, so I have a US spec mirror on one side and a Euro spec on the other. This may be one of those things that you just get over and not worry about, although I am not sure what is bothering me about this...

AzNMpower32
10-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Perhaps some on the forum are not setting side mirrors "correctly". If you still use the method taught years ago, you are seeing part of the side of your car in the left side mirror. You should be setting the mirrors much further out, to act as an extension of the inside rearview. Takes a little getting used to, but once mastered, there are absolutely no blind spots.

While driving, or if possible when stopped in traffic, get into position next to a smallish car, once on each side of the car. While jockeying into position, set that side mirror so that you can just see the rear of that car in the mirror while you see the front of it in your peripheral vision. When properly set, as you glance into the mirror, you'll see the rear of the car next to you while you see the front of it peripherally (not in the mirror) with a very slight side glance. If you set them when next to a small car you can ensure that the mirror is set far enough outward so you'll still see the rear of the target car in the mirror.
That's exactly what I used to use and I do that to an extent with the new wide-angle mirrors as well. But the nature of the wide-angle mirror being what it is, I can see more at any given glance than I could with a flat mirror.

Speedybmw
10-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, it's a European-spec thing.

I put them both on my X3 and the 325i, adds a good margin of safety and eliminates the blind spot. Compared with the standard mirror, the wide-angle is better than simply adjusting the mirrors outward by themselves.

I know samething happens to me!!! I love the aspheric mirrors!!! By the way I have a 2011 1 series and it has aspheric mirror but only on the drivers side and the passenger side is just normal and it has the same annoying message as all other mirrors!!! I wish both were aspheric cause it helps a lot!!!

raleedy
10-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Anybody know where I can order the aspherical missors for my F10? I currently have them on my Passat and absolutely love them. TIA

The Google knows.

savela
10-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Ah! Thanks for the help! You guys are great!!! Kidding. Points me back to this forum. I'll find 'em - please don't sweat.

1HOT BMR
10-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Word!

I touch the driver's side window with my head and adjust the mirror so I can just see the side of the car in that position. For the right mirror, I move my head to the center of the car and adjust the mirror the same way for that position - no blind spots - it works for me.

AzNMpower32
10-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Ah! Thanks for the help! You guys are great!!! Kidding. Points me back to this forum. I'll find 'em - please don't sweat.
I can't confirm this for sure in the parts catalog yet, but I think the 7er and 5er share the same outside mirrors, based on the shape. So you could just find one off a F01 7er as well. However, both models are relatively new, so there aren't that many parts floating around the internet yet.

Part numbers (from a 7er)
Auto-dimming, electrochromic ($303):
51 16 7 186 587 (left)
51 16 7 186 588 (right)

51 16 7 186 581 (left) heated, blue-tint, not-dimming
51 16 7 186 582 (right) (81)

There is a big price jump for electrochromic mirrors, but buying the wrong kind means the connectors will not fit, and thus will lose the heat function.

raleedy
10-30-2010, 04:41 PM

You might try these guys: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/Exterior/Mirrors/?utm_source=e90post&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

If they don't have them yet, I would suggest one of the BMW centers in a major German city, particularly Munich: http://nl-nuernberg.bmw.de/de/nl_muenchen/de/dealer/contact/introduction.html

Reading knowledge of German helps, but you can probably sort it out. The part you're looking for is Aussenspiegel Glas.

kenhamm
10-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

savela
10-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks! I have some pals over the pond and I'm gonna see how difficult it would be for them to buy/ship a pair for me. I'll keep trying ecs tuning (that's where I purchased the ones for my VW) and will ask the dealership if the 5 and 7 share the same part...