PDA

View Full Version : Possible solution to the epidemic of alternator whine/hissing

turbo38sfi
01-07-2004, 07:20 AM
I have not started my ICE upgrade in my M3 yet, but just reading the forums there seems to be a lot of people running into the issue of alt whine/white noise.

I'm thinking as others have said that the remote turn on lead provided from the wire harness may be the culprit since it's an ignition source and not a head unit source. So, has anyone actually tried a fused on/off toggle switch type for the switched power lead to the amp to just SEE if there is any difference? It would take all of 3 minutes since the battery is located right in the trunk and all you would need is a fused toggle from any parts store.

Just an idea. Maybe the whine is being picked up via the remote lead since it's tied into the ignition system and could be picking up the alternator whine there.

Comments?

Joe

Ack
01-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Interesting point. Since my car is stored for the winter, I can't check into this until spring. I have a whine in my system that I thought was being caused by my Audiocontrol EQX. I would be interested in knowing if you find anything else out about this. Please keep us up to date on any progress.

turbo38sfi
01-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Interesting point. Since my car is stored for the winter, I can't check into this until spring. I have a whine in my system that I thought was being caused by my Audiocontrol EQX. I would be interested in knowing if you find anything else out about this. Please keep us up to date on any progress.

Yea, I willkeep things updated when I do mine, but I am a few wks away from that as I'm going to be working on something for the beater winter Maxima for now, hopefully someone w/the prob can quickly test and post some results.

Nice ride and system. What's that ****** doing leaning on the ride tho, I woulda :spank: her :)

Ack
01-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Yea, I willkeep things updated when I do mine, but I am a few wks away from that as I'm going to be working on something for the beater winter Maxima for now, hopefully someone w/the prob can quickly test and post some results.

Nice ride and system. What's that ****** doing leaning on the ride tho, I woulda :spank: her :)

Sounds good. Come spring if I can't get this whine resolved with a nice simple fix like this, I'm planning on tearing down the interior and trunk and rewiring everything. The installer that did all of the work did a really poor job of wiring the system. There were RCA's and power wires in a bundled mess under the seat. I really hope that I don't have to go this route. It will only mean I will have to drive my beater even longer. :thumbdwn:

Thanks for the compliments! The more I look at those pics, the more I shake my head. I don't know what I was thinking. She isn't even that attractive. :slap:

nealh
01-07-2004, 04:16 PM
The white noise will continue even with a switch if you were to lower the volume on radio..it would be there..this seems to be noise transmitted to the speakers and remains at constant level and is increased by increasing my amp gains ..but its volume is independent of the HU unit volume

I think the switch would get rid of it so you did not hear since the amp would be on in theory on with the HU but if you lowered volume to zero you would I believe hear the white noise

turbo38sfi
01-07-2004, 05:19 PM
The white noise will continue even with a switch if you were to lower the volume on radio..it would be there..this seems to be noise transmitted to the speakers and remains at constant level and is increased by increasing my amp gains ..but its volume is independent of the HU unit volume

I think the switch would get rid of it so you did not hear since the amp would be on in theory on with the HU but if you lowered volume to zero you would I believe hear the white noise

You have not tried it though right? You would need to disconnect the remote lead going into the amp and run a new switched power lead.

nealh
01-07-2004, 05:34 PM
You have not tried it though right? You would need to disconnect the remote lead going into the amp and run a new switched power lead.

No I have not..Hmm....maybe I misunderstood your idea...are you suggesting to place a remote switch on the ignition turn on that goes to the amp or another power wire??

If it were the ignition turn ie white power wire I would think the noise would still be transmitted just audible when the radio is on..so if you lower volume it would be there if you listen very closely...doubt you would hear with the car running..unless the gains are turned up. I have white noise with my gains adjusted you can not hear but if I increase the gains the white noise can be audible even at low engine and radio volumes

turbo38sfi
01-07-2004, 06:05 PM
No I have not..Hmm....maybe I misunderstood your idea...are you suggesting to place a remote switch on the ignition turn on that goes to the amp

Nope

or another power wire??

Yes. Disconnect the white wire since it is obviously on the ignition circuit and could induce noise there. Run a new wire direct to the battery w/a switch & fuse on it for now and test.

nealh
01-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Nope

Yes. Disconnect the white wire since it is obviously on the ignition circuit and could induce noise there. Run a new wire direct to the battery w/a switch & fuse on it for now and test.

Sounds like a great idea but I am not savy enough to do the install myself..I had in professional done