PDA

View Full Version : Feeling HOT- HOT- HOT

KCW002
01-09-2004, 02:47 PM
My heated seats are taking over!! I spoke the dealer today and the service writer said there is too much frequency in the seat. Yeah… too much frequency?? Anyway with 42K on the ticker, they said they will resolve the issue and consider replacing the leather seat covers.

In the areas where the leather is “ burnt or burning” I cant touch due to the extreme heat. Perhaps the heating element was installed incorrectly…

Has anyone else seen this?

Kevin

Ack
01-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Damn, never seen anything like that. What's odd is that the heating elements are only on the inside of the seat, not on the side bolsters. :dunno: Hopefully they'll replace your leather also.

Edit: I just realized you have an X5. I don't know if the heating elements are in the same place as the E46's.

KatanaPilot
01-09-2004, 08:33 PM
The heated seat element on my 94 325i went a while ago.
After I took the seat apart and got to the heating element, there was one spot burnt just like your pictures. Except my leather is black, and the burnt mark is inside, on the cloth of the heating element itself.

Heating elements seem to have a limited life. Think of them as light bulbs. They generate heat due to resistance. Similar to light bulbs, as time goes on, the heating element gets thinner and thinner, and that area gets hotter and hotter. Eventually one day the element would burn through, just like a light bulb. Right before it dies completely, it might create a hot spot where the element is the thinniest. I am guessing that is where your burnt mark is at......

Emission
01-09-2004, 10:44 PM
I didn't think the heating elements were in the bolster either. Maybe you have an electrical short, not a bad element...

KCW002
01-10-2004, 11:19 AM
I didn't think the heating elements were in the bolster either. Maybe you have an electrical short, not a bad element...
I have no clue... my appt is this week. I will let you know.

flashinthepan
01-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Holy bajeez-ers !!! :mad:

KCW002
01-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Well almost... the dealer only replaced the backs. I think they should have replaced the bottoms too. I will keep you posted, but i feel that this issue caused by the seats directly effected the lower seat covers, if i am left with brand new back covers and lowers cover that have 42K on them. Call me crazt, but I'd rather not explain to the world why my seats dont match....

Kevin

SASTUD
02-23-2004, 07:01 AM
My heated seats are taking over!! I spoke the dealer today and the service writer said there is too much frequency in the seat. Yeah… too much frequency?? Anyway with 42K on the ticker, they said they will resolve the issue and consider replacing the leather seat covers.

In the areas where the leather is “ burnt or burning” I cant touch due to the extreme heat. Perhaps the heating element was installed incorrectly…

Has anyone else seen this?

Kevin

in 3 years @ bmw dealership, i've seen us have to replace leather w/heating element 4-5 times. 3 times on an x5 & it was usually in the same area as your pics.

KCW002
02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
in 3 years @ bmw dealership, i've seen us have to replace leather w/heating element 4-5 times. 3 times on an x5 & it was usually in the same area as your pics.

So far they only replaced the uppers. While I havent gone crazy about it... the lower seats no longer match the upper covers. I this an issue Is can press? I feel the lower replacement is due "as a result" of the upper malfunction.

I appreciate you feed back
Kevin

Tominizer
02-24-2004, 10:28 AM
I noticed when I have the heated seats on 3 bars in my X5, the seats in the exact same spot you show get really really hot.................. BMW should address this issue. All I know is that I bet these hot warmers fail a lot faster. Crap :thumbdwn:

bmrboy2008
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
So far they only replaced the uppers. While I havent gone crazy about it... the lower seats no longer match the upper covers. I this an issue Is can press? I feel the lower replacement is due "as a result" of the upper malfunction.

I appreciate you feed back
Kevin

Tell them you will rip them to shreads and trash them in the survey if they don't give you what you want. That's ridiculous.