PDA

View Full Version : Does the board have "Reputation"

MMME30W
01-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi Admins - Another message board I subscribe to (www.mini2.com) has a feaure called "reputation". Each user is assigned reputation "points" that can be added or subtracted to based on both his/her own actions (e.g. post count) as well as from "votes" from other users.

Each post is shown with the user's "reputation" score so others can judge more about the person making the post. I find it useful when surfing mini2.com.

Since both bimmerfest and mini2 seem to use similar looking software, is there a chance that bimmerfest could "enable" this feature?

SpaceMonkey
01-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Sounds unnecessary. :dunno:

MMME30W
01-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Sounds interesting, but a little tto much like a popularity contest.

Plus, a single-dimensional reputation might not make sense. For example, what if someone is a real jerk, but their info is always reliable. :dunno:

Maybe, here's how it works in Mini2:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_faq_reputation

Cliff
01-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Since both bimmerfest and mini2 seem to use similar looking software, is there a chance that bimmerfest could "enable" this feature?
Same software - they're both using VBulletin 3 release candidate 2.

TeamM3
01-11-2004, 03:31 PM
who cares what a bunch of :jack: 's think about you? :eeps:

:p :bigpimp:

tim330i
01-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi Admins - Another message board I subscribe to (www.mini2.com) has a feaure called "reputation". Each user is assigned reputation "points" that can be added or subtracted to based on both his/her own actions (e.g. post count) as well as from "votes" from other users.

Each post is shown with the user's "reputation" score so others can judge more about the person making the post. I find it useful when surfing mini2.com.

vBulletin three does suppor that feature but it is currently turned off. Once we are on a final release we will look into tweaking some of the featuers, however, if this thread is an indication it doesn't sound like a feature many members would appreciate.

Tim

mquetel
01-12-2004, 06:54 PM
vBulletin three does suppor that feature but it is currently turned off. Once we are on a final release we will look into tweaking some of the featuers, however, if this thread is an indication it doesn't sound like a feature many members would appreciate.

TimThose are the folks who are really worried about their reputations... :D

The HACK
01-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Sounds interesting, but a little tto much like a popularity contest.

Plus, a single-dimensional reputation might not make sense. For example, what if someone is a real jerk, but their info is always reliable. :dunno:
:eeps:

Plaz
01-12-2004, 09:47 PM
:eeps:

:rofl:

I don't care what everybody (and I do mean everybody) else says, HACK, I don't think you're a jerk. :lmao:

TeamM3
01-14-2004, 10:24 PM

Tim

on the only other forum I venture that has this feature, it is a user-determined option in their CP proile; they can hide or show their so-called rating.

hey, if I wanted to be popular I wouldn't intentionally piss people off :eeps: :angel: and if I'm intentionally pissing some people off I obviously could care less what they think about me :dunno: I just don't see the purpose except maybe as an ego builder for the popularists :rolleyes: and unless you're new it's obvious who's who

and people may not get bad votes because they were jerks or such, if they don't like your personal views on sexuality, religion, politics, etc. it's my experience that the avg :jack: can't see past that :tsk:

kind of reminds me of the days way back when Jim Conforti used to communicate a lot on the forums and people would cuss and swear they'd never buy his stuff because they didn't appreciate his blunt style of speaking his mind, what the fug do I care about some guy's personality if he has the best product on the market :confused: but some people are really just that stupidly incapable to see beyond that kind of petty BS :rolleyes:

MMME30W
01-15-2004, 06:10 PM

Tim

Ok, fair enough, is it ok if I post a poll and the admins can do with it as they will?

Soupcan325i
01-15-2004, 07:03 PM
My opinion: this kind of feature sounds cool but just tends to encourage trolls and "reputation-whoring." See www.slashdot.org (which calls their system "karma") for an example of this...some say it keeps the S/N ratio higher but I think it ends up dragging everyone down.

Of course, if someone disagrees with me on this, I'll probably get modded down -1...

tim330i
01-15-2004, 11:40 PM
My opinion: this kind of feature sounds cool but just tends to encourage trolls and "reputation-whoring." See www.slashdot.org (which calls their system "karma") for an example of this...some say it keeps the S/N ratio higher but I think it ends up dragging everyone down.

Of course, if someone disagrees with me on this, I'll probably get modded down -1...
I tend to agree but we have a great community so we could both be wrong.

I think we are going to wait until we get on "gold" release to start tweaking with it at this point.

Tim

MMME30W
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
I tend to agree but we have a great community so we could both be wrong.

I think we are going to wait until we get on "gold" release to start tweaking with it at this point.

Tim

Erm, I'll take this as a lukewam "yes" for a poll :)

rich

MMME30W
01-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Erm, I'll take this as a lukewam "yes" for a poll :)

rich

Poll posted, let the chips fall where they may :)