PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti G35 looks SWEET!

jastevenson
12-20-2001, 02:24 AM
I am pretty psyched about the new G35 coming out. Sounds like for the price of a well equipped 325 we will get:

More torque and HP than a 330 (260 HP (!))
RWD
Dual Climate Control
Whiplash Active head restraints
LED taillites (cool on deville)
More interior space.
Better reliability / service
Better leather (my friend's I35 has REALLY nice leather)
Nissan stereo (they make damn good stereos there too)
Better nav system
Lower drag coefficient
Better looks (tie between 2001 3series and g35, but 2002s are ugly)
6CD in dash
Lexus-style illuminated gauges
Gauge cluster moves w/ tilt (like on new Z car)

Sounds pretty sweet, I hope it isn't watered down performance-wise :confused:

Btw, they say the weight distro is 52:48 which is actually better than 50:50. Is this true, or is that just marketing BS? something about how weight transfers in a corner to make it equal...http://www.infiniti.com/ms/future/g35/images/g35_wallpaper.jpg

JST
12-20-2001, 05:23 AM
Any word on whether a manual transmission will be offered? All of the specs sound good, but until they confirm a manual, it's just another pretender.

Alex Baumann
12-20-2001, 05:34 AM
I've just checked the Infiniti site. No words on manual transmission. It comes with a standard electronically controlled 5-Speed automatic transmission with Drive-by-Wire throttle.

Alex

jastevenson
12-20-2001, 05:37 AM
I heard that a 6spd manny will be avail from the 350 Z (same chassis) but it wont arrive for some months after launch, a la is300 =P

TD
12-20-2001, 06:18 AM
But a DBW throttle... :mad:

I just want someone, anyone to build a true sport sedan (with a MECHANICAL throttle).

Otherwise, this car sounds great. Edmunds had been reporting that it WOULD show up at some point with a 6-spd stick. So, I guess, DWB or not, it still deserves a test drive upon arrival.

MikeW
12-20-2001, 07:56 AM
Methinks that mechanical throttle linkages are going the way of carborators. The engineers like the idea of being able to "manage" the throttle. Also with technologies like valvetronic, there really isn't a throttle, per se, to be mechanically linked to.

With SMG, they've also electronicized the clutch. I figure the brakes are next.

TD
12-20-2001, 07:58 AM
Mercedes already is using BRAKE-by-wire on some models. Personally, this trend (while completely understandable) scares me and makes me lament the death of the enthusiast automobile. It scares me in the sense of what heppens when the system crashes.

hts
12-20-2001, 08:14 AM
There was an article in yesterday's paper about 42v batteries replacing the current 12v (this is old news to many of us, I know), but the interesting thing to me about this article was that it suggested that when this transition occurs (beginning for some manufacturers in '02), we should expect many of the systems that are currently mechanical to become electrical. No more 'power' steering driven by pulleys, but rather assisted with electricity, and such.

Take care of that gorgeous M3/4 of yours Tom--you may be hanging on to it a little bit longer...

The HACK
12-20-2001, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jastevenson
I am pretty psyched about the new G35 coming out. Sounds like for the price of a well equipped 325 we will get:

More torque and HP than a 330 (260 HP (!))
RWD
Dual Climate Control
Whiplash Active head restraints
LED taillites (cool on deville)
More interior space.
Better reliability / service
Better leather (my friend's I35 has REALLY nice leather)
Nissan stereo (they make damn good stereos there too)
Better nav system
Lower drag coefficient
Better looks (tie between 2001 3series and g35, but 2002s are ugly)
6CD in dash
Lexus-style illuminated gauges
Gauge cluster moves w/ tilt (like on new Z car)

Sounds pretty sweet, I hope it isn't watered down performance-wise :confused:

Btw, they say the weight distro is 52:48 which is actually better than 50:50. Is this true, or is that just marketing BS? something about how weight transfers in a corner to make it equal...http://www.infiniti.com/ms/future/g35/images/g35_wallpaper.jpg

Everything on papaer suggest the IS300 should smoke a 325i...Yet after all that the IS300 manual could barely keep up with a 325i stick.

It would be interesting to see how much this car weighs. If it comes in anywhere near 3,000 lbs then it'll be a legit contender for the throne. If it weighed above 3,500 then the 3 series will probably remain the undisputed champion of the luxury sport sedans.

Nice to see everyone else keeping the pressure up at BMW.

ff
12-20-2001, 08:43 AM
An Altima by any other name is still an Altima... Check out those tiny brake disks. :o

TD
12-20-2001, 08:46 AM
Be fair. Look at any 323/325 with 17 inch rims and stock brakes and tell me they don't look just as small.

And you cannot justly compare that to an Altima as an Altima is FWD. Fortuantely, this car will be RWD. That alone makes the comparison unfair.

Comparing it to the IS300, IMO, is fair. Hopefully, Nissan will execute better than Toyota did. But they're starting from a better platform, so there is reason to be optimistic.

bmw325
12-20-2001, 11:54 AM
I'd bet that it'll atleast have similar braking performance to a 325/28. Anyway, I'm hoping this is a better contender than the IS300. Any pressure on BMW is good for all of us though.

Nebr330xi
12-20-2001, 02:51 PM
I believe there's a really souped-up version available in Japan, right? Isn't there also an AWD version? I'm just asking from hearsay.

hts
12-21-2001, 07:10 AM
I've been following the news on the G35 since I first experienced problems with my 330i and was so frustrated I thought about getting rid of it (I still only have 4,500 miles on it).

Fortunately, things have gotten much better since my initial rash of headaches (2 bad fans, airbag lights remain on, steering wheel controls inoperable, etc.), and now that my cars runs right, I couldn't be happier.

That being said, I still plan to take one out for a test-drive (any of yous' ****'s want to give me a hard time for taking a car out for a spin and wasting a salesman's time when I have little intention of actually buying, I'll killya!).

I wonder if they'll have a G35 at the DC auto show next week....??

Teej
12-21-2001, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by hts
I wonder if they'll have a G35 at the DC auto show next week....??

Oh NO!!!! I'll miss the DC show! I'm leaving for India in about 5 hours! Won't be back till Jan 12th. Oh hey, any of you planning on going to Detroit? I AM !! The weekend after I get back. I did it last year.. a friend and I drove to Ann Arbor (I went to U of M) for the weekend and went to the show. Too bad this guy is now in Dallas and I don't have any other friends here who are interested in going. But if any of you are....we can all take out Bimmers! Oh but the snow....DAMN! By the way, last year we just rented an Alero...hehehe.

JST
12-21-2001, 07:29 AM
This will be the first time I miss the Detroit show in about 15 years (I'm from Detroit, and went to UM as well). I'm bummed about it, but our grueling travel schedule makes an unecessary plane trip seem like less fun than normal.

I'm going to the DC show next week; I know it will be nothing like NAIAS, but I hope it will slake my thirst. If it doesn't, I may be looking for an e-saver to Detroit after all.

TD
12-21-2001, 07:31 AM
What day are you going down?

JST
12-21-2001, 07:32 AM
Thursday the 27th.

JST
12-21-2001, 07:40 AM
Thursday the 27th.

hts
12-21-2001, 07:52 AM
yeah baby.

Nebr330xi
12-21-2001, 08:03 AM
Just curious, you in there? BTW, Jorn had his baby week before last I believe.

Plaz
12-21-2001, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by hts
any of yous' ****'s want to give me a hard time for taking a car out for a spin and wasting a salesman's time when I have little intention of actually buying, I'll killya!

Lighten up, Francis. :cool: