PDA

View Full Version : Not many GT's

CC Brown
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
I have had my car 2 months back here in USA and put 4000 miles on it. I have not seen one other GT during this time. I saw a couple in Europe but none here.

I did take a trip to N.C. and got 30.5 MPG on a tank of gas. The computer registered 31.4 but when I filled it was less. I had noticed this will some other tanks that the computer registered from .4 to 1 mpg more. Still 30mpg on a 4600 lbs car is fantastic.

Anybody else doing anything like this. BTW mine is a 2010 535i GT. The 2011 has a higher EPA rating of 20/30/24.

frantzy
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I've had mine 7 months, 11k miles, and last week I saw my first GT in the wild, a 550i GT. Maybe we can have a GT convention and all 5 of us can meet in Kansas or something. :)

Mine's a 2010 535i GT as well and I consistently see 31.x MPG highway on the computer, though I haven't verified this at the tank. I just put snow tires on and it performed great on the hilly, icy streets outside Seattle.

It's a niche car for sure, but I'm wonderfully happy with mine, and get compliments all the time on its unique looks. (In person, not in Internet forums ;))

nosnoop
11-25-2010, 09:43 AM
With the introduction of 535i and xDrive, we are beginning to see more on the road here.

World wide, GT constitutes about 10% of the sales of 5 series, and this is not bad. More or less what BMW had expected.

SARAFIL
11-25-2010, 03:46 PM
With the introduction of 535i and xDrive, we are beginning to see more on the road here.

World wide, GT constitutes about 10% of the sales of 5 series, and this is not bad. More or less what BMW had expected.

Yep, while the looks are a bit "love it or hate it", BMW's real problem that limited sales was that they initially offered the car in the US market as a RWD V8 only. Now that they have AWD and a less expensive 6-cylinder model available, I think sales will improve quite a bit from last year but it still won't be a high volume car. Still, it won't take much for BMW to outsell the E61 535xit, which sold fewer than 1000/year in the US.

car-fan
11-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I have had my car 2 months back here in USA and put 4000 miles on it. I have not seen one other GT during this time. I saw a couple in Europe but none here.

I did take a trip to N.C. and got 30.5 MPG on a tank of gas. The computer registered 31.4 but when I filled it was less. I had noticed this will some other tanks that the computer registered from .4 to 1 mpg more. Still 30mpg on a 4600 lbs car is fantastic.

Anybody else doing anything like this. BTW mine is a 2010 535i GT. The 2011 has a higher EPA rating of 20/30/24.

I just completed a round trip to the Carolinas (North & South) from South Florida in my 550 GT. I think I averaged between 21 and 25 mpg on the highway for the 1600 miles or so I traveled over the last 4 days. I now have 12100 miles- delivery date 02/2/2010.

car-fan
11-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Yep, while the looks are a bit "love it or hate it", BMW's real problem that limited sales was that they initially offered the car in the US market as a RWD V8 only. Now that they have AWD and a less expensive 6-cylinder model available, I think sales will improve quite a bit from last year but it still won't be a high volume car. Still, it won't take much for BMW to outsell the E61 535xit, which sold fewer than 1000/year in the US.

+1 it was never intended to be a high voulume car - which is okay with me :) On the other hand most dealers seem to have 1 or 2 in stock at any given time usually 535 GT's. the 550 GT appears to be more of a customer order item. I ordered mine as well. I'm sure there are quite a few of the initial Sapphire Black/Oyster 550 GT's out there. They have either been significantly discounted or placed into the loaner fleet.

car-fan
11-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I've had mine 7 months, 11k miles, and last week I saw my first GT in the wild, a 550i GT. Maybe we can have a GT convention and all 5 of us can meet in Kansas or something. :)

Mine's a 2010 535i GT as well and I consistently see 31.x MPG highway on the computer, though I haven't verified this at the tank. I just put snow tires on and it performed great on the hilly, icy streets outside Seattle.

It's a niche car for sure, but I'm wonderfully happy with mine, and get compliments all the time on its unique looks. (In person, not in Internet forums ;))

I agree - I have received nothing but positive compliments. Its so funny that many people are not aware that this car even exists. There are quite a few of us out there, but of course no where near approaching the numbers of the F10. I see F10's on a regular basis now.

TrucksterWanabe
12-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I purchased my 550 GT in August and to date have seen only one other (535). I live in an affluent area and the local dealers are selling them, but very limited demand.

I love this car as it is a perfect blend of a 7 and a pick-up truck :thumbup:.

I know it is not the intended use, but where are you going to find anything like the GT?

There is a lid for every pot and this one must be ours :angel:

frantzy
12-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I love this car as it is a perfect blend of a 7 and a pick-up truck :thumbup:.

EXACTLY:thumbup:!! I'm a hockey goalie dad and nothing's better for long roadtrips...gear, suitcases, and movies from the iPod playing on the rear entertainment system.

car-fan
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
EXACTLY:thumbup:!! I'm a hockey goalie dad and nothing's better for long roadtrips...gear, suitcases, and movies from the iPod playing on the rear entertainment system.

Hmmm I havent tried using my Ipod to play movies on the rear-entertainment system yet. I must give it a try. I BTW: I like the rear entertainment system alot - rear remote can control almost all ICE functions. :thumbup:

mason
01-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Seeing more and more in NYC.

CC Brown
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I still have only seen 1 other GT in Atlanta after 4 months. BMW just indicated that they sold 2160 5 series GT's in Jan up 131% from last Jan( 934 ). The 5 series sold was 24,109 but they do not say if the GT sales numbers are included in the 5 series numbers. So GT sales are approx 10% of 5 series sales.

They must be selling them in China and Europe!

I am very pleased with my 535i GT. The utility it has plus size for travel with 4 people is exceptional. I read about folks describing it as "ugly" but almost every time I drive it someone tells they really like my car. I also like buying a 7 series size car for a 5 series price. I still don't know how BMW can do that. Plus my MPG for my 6000 miles is 23.8 with 30 mpg several times on trips.

Capobranco
02-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I still have only seen 1 other GT in Atlanta after 4 months. BMW just indicated that they sold 2160 5 series GT's in Jan up 131% from last Jan( 934 ). The 5 series sold was 24,109 but they do not say if the GT sales numbers are included in the 5 series numbers. So GT sales are approx 10% of 5 series sales...

Whoa,…saw one in the wild this morning on my commute to downtown DC. I tried to catch it to get a closer look but the person took off – triple digit speed – not exaggerating. I decided to relent – park police heavily patrol the part of the parkway we were traveling on – I don’t look good in handcuffs on the side of the road!