PDA

View Full Version : iPod integration with Alpine head units coming

·clyde·
01-12-2004, 07:44 PM
http://finance.lycos.com/qc/news/story.aspx?story=200401061930_PRN__LATU011

This is cool stuff.

Plaz
01-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Someone needs to make a head unit with iPod integration that you actually just slide the iPod into... like popping in an 8-track. Half of the iPod car hassle is finding a suitable place to put the thing.

·clyde·
01-12-2004, 09:25 PM
With this Alpine, it sounds like you can put the iPod out of the way, because you shouldn't need access to it while in use as it's controlled by the head unit.

Even better would be blue tooth iPods and head units. :D

Plaz
01-12-2004, 09:51 PM

:thumbup:

Just leave it in your jacket pocket! (Or your man-bag, if you're one of those types)

JST
01-13-2004, 06:05 AM
With this Alpine, it sounds like you can put the iPod out of the way, because you shouldn't need access to it while in use as it's controlled by the head unit.

Screw Bluetooth. I want 802.11b or g. Then I could use it in the house, too.

·clyde·
01-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Screw Bluetooth. I want 802.11b or g. Then I could use it in the house, too.
All of the music on your iPod should already be on your computer in the house, where 802.11x is an option. :dunno:

JST
01-13-2004, 07:32 AM
All of the music on your iPod should already be on your computer in the house, where 802.11x is an option. :dunno:

True. I just think it's silly to use an old, technically inferior standard like Bluetooth when all of the home stuff is using 802.11x; seems like any wireless integration solution should be seamless, mobile and home.

Besides, if I take my iPod to someone else's home, it would be nice to be able to use it wirelessly.

Scotes
01-13-2004, 10:02 AM
I saw this little box at the CES show this past weekend - in speaking with one of the Alpine reps it will apparently work with any AiNet Alpine head unit and not just their 2004 models. Also, there is a strong possibility of this being available for OEM head units (like our BMW's) though not likely until the end of the year at best.

phrider
01-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I saw this little box at the CES show this past weekend - in speaking with one of the Alpine reps it will apparently work with any AiNet Alpine head unit and not just their 2004 models. Also, there is a strong possibility of this being available for OEM head units (like our BMW's) though not likely until the end of the year at best.Any word on the timing for the availability of the Alpine-only/iPod version. When you said "year end", I assume that you meant for the OEM/iPod adapter.

Scotes
01-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Per the article (and the Alpine rep noted the same) the AiNet/Alpine head unit adaptor should be available by this summer.

phrider
01-15-2004, 10:29 AM
It is expected to work with Alpine headunits going back a couple years (supposedly ones that could use the CHA-S634 changer). Or so go the rumors.