PDA

View Full Version : XM Roady hardwire completed!

mquetel
01-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks to some great DIY info and advice from Hack, Kaz, JeffW, Terry Kennedy and jumpingmatt, I've completed my XM install. :banana:

The plan was to run the aux-input to the center console, where I had replaced cupholders with the euro-tray. This tray seemed like a great place to stash a small audio device such as an Ipod or XM Roady. So, I went about collecting the various parts: XM Roady (http://www.xmradio.com/roady/), OEM aux-input, NAV removal tool (90-88-6-651-110) and a 12V outlet kit (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-1556).

It took me a while to work up the nerve to tear into the car but there is so much great info available here and elsewhere that I wasn't going in blind. Here are couple of very useful threads for removing the nav headunit and installing the aux-input (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31707) as well as removing the center console (http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/centerconsole). Working slowly I was surprised how quickly I became comfortable dissecting the car. The aux-in cable was installed, operational and sitting in the center console after a few hours (I'm really slow at this stuff).

The next phase was switched power for the XM reciever. Originally I had planned to make use of the the telephone harness, but was having difficulty locating the power. I had good descriptions of the wire location, color and pin-out but could not make it work. After posing some questions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49401&highlight=switched+power), Hack and Kaz had me convinced to run power from the fusebox. That turned out to be a really clean way to go and was not too difficult by following this thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8516) and this other thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8543). Honestly, the worst part for me was getting the damn glovebox re-installed.

Finally, I ran the XM antenna from the rear deck underneath the child seat anchor and into the trunk. From here I followed a main trunk of cable that runs from the CD changer/Nav area into the cabin of the car, under the backseat the finally under the carpet to the center console. Not difficult work, just cumbersome. The end result was a 99% hidden run from the center console to the antenna in the rear window.

So, now I have an XM radio that is a clean install, sounds great, accessible to driver and passenger, hidden when I want it to be and turns on/off with the ignition. I'm really jazzed!! :D

You can check out the receiver install location in the first two attachments. The third attachment shows tapping into the fuse box for switched power. Finally the last two show the antenna placement and install.

mquetel
01-13-2004, 11:35 PM
One more thing, the Roady can use 5 or 6 different colors when lit up. The orange is an excellent match for OEM.

This image is courtesy of JeffW:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24828&stc=1

Riuster
02-10-2004, 07:56 AM
NICE INSTALL, very nicely done..im impressed.....your 3 series has an SMG....hmm..*****...thats cool...

flashinthepan
02-10-2004, 08:14 AM
NICE INSTALL, very nicely done..im impressed.....your 3 series has an SMG....hmm..*****...thats cool...

MQ-

Nice !!!!!!

Question:

Can you have the XM radio & Phatnoise connected at the same time ?

I assuming they are different circuits.

TD
02-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Looks sharp (and I notice that reading comprehension is an issue with some folks ;P ).

LmtdSlip
02-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Nice clean install..Especially the antenna. I hate those big blobs on the backs of cars.

LordByron
02-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Awesome install!! :thumbup:

Riuster
02-12-2004, 01:24 PM
how is BPM compared with Planet Dance, they took my favorite channel on Sirius, Vortex, does BPM compare?

mquetel
02-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Doing this project was quite rewarding and certainly has me considering other projects. :)

I've since added an Ipod to the system, but have yet to decide on a power source for it. It's a new Ipod with the dock connector so I'm considering the following cables:

Monster low profile charger (http://www.monstercable.com/computer/productPageComputer.asp?pin=2132) (w/ line out)
Belkin Auto kit (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=149006)
Sik imp (http://www.sik.com/imp.php)
I'm leaning towards the Monster product, if anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

Riuster
02-12-2004, 08:46 PM
hey..you are doing what im doing...I installed a new MP3 player..but not an IPOD....ipods are just not great in performance, so I got the iriver 40gb...where are you putting all these things..how about another picture

One more thing, isnt it dangerous to put that xm radio away from eye view, dont you want to know what song it is..or when browsing thorugh the channels..etc.....then you may take your eyes off the road.

mquetel
02-12-2004, 09:35 PM
hey..you are doing what im doing...I installed a new MP3 player..but not an IPOD....ipods are just not great in performance, so I got the iriver 40gb...where are you putting all these things..how about another picture

One more thing, isnt it dangerous to put that xm radio away from eye view, dont you want to know what song it is..or when browsing thorugh the channels..etc.....then you may take your eyes off the road.
The XM Roady and IPod both sit in the euro-tray (see picture above), just not at the same time. So, in order to switch from one to the other, I swap the aux-in cable then plug in the power. Not totally seamless, but it gives me the flexibility to take either or both out and use them in the house.

You are correct that either unit can be distracting to try and adjust channels or songs (the Ipod is worse); I just try and minimize that. The XM Radio has preset stations that I can set by touch, the Ipod can't... so it usually goes on shuffle play.

Pinecone
02-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Cool, I was wondering how to do XM in our M3.

Hs anyone looked at this unit?

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-casiXoDfTGe/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=79800&I=209XMCMNDR&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

What caught my eye is the one box with everything (included FM modulator for those of use without an Aux input, and a WIRELESS remote head.

But the Roady definately looks nice. Time to switch to the Euro tray. :)

Riuster
02-13-2004, 06:43 AM
The XM Roady and IPod both sit in the euro-tray (see picture above), just not at the same time. So, in order to switch from one to the other, I swap the aux-in cable then plug in the power. Not totally seamless, but it gives me the flexibility to take either or both out and use them in the house.

You are correct that either unit can be distracting to try and adjust channels or songs (the Ipod is worse); I just try and minimize that. The XM Radio has preset stations that I can set by touch, the Ipod can't... so it usually goes on shuffle play.

I had the same problem with my Iriver, so idecidd to use a RAM mount and double mount tape it with a cradle for the MP3 player and with cable coming in, the unit is mounted on the dash trim between the radio and teh steering wheel, adn the mp3 player just pops out for eye viewing,..sounds good, works fine and it doesnt look so bad..and i can scroll while my eyes on the road..I also put in a Y cable so i can have one for the satt radio and the other for the mp3 player....you cant have them both on for the aux input to work, the sound becomes subdued. I ll show pics later.

Riuster
02-13-2004, 06:49 AM

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-casiXoDfTGe/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=79800&I=209XMCMNDR&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

What caught my eye is the one box with everything (included FM modulator for those of use without an Aux input, and a WIRELESS remote head.

I looked at that, but the head unit is WIRED, it has a WIRELESS REMOTE, but the face head is not wireless, but thats a great IDEA.....if it was avail, with a self contained power unit.

Also, I tried the FM thing once many years ago...it stinks..but perhaps the transmitter is better these days, but isnt there any interference with that, I never tried it, but...FM doesnt seem like it brings comparable sound quality like a line input.

this is what the Crutchfield website says:
Controller/Display: The wired controller/display features a 2-line, 2-3/8" x 7/8" LCD display, a large tuning wheel and "enter" button, and 10 number keys. It fits into the supplied flush-mount cradle for a custom installation. The controller/display has a 10' cable, plus a 13' extension cable to allow you to mount the controller/display in the front and the receiver in the back of the vehicle. The display features a pale blue backlight and button illumination. The LCD's contrast can be adjusted for best viewing.

Riuster
02-13-2004, 06:58 AM
I had the same problem with my Iriver, so idecidd to use a RAM mount and double mount tape it with a cradle for the MP3 player and with cable coming in, the unit is mounted on the dash trim between the radio and teh steering wheel, adn the mp3 player just pops out for eye viewing,..sounds good, works fine and it doesnt look so bad..and i can scroll while my eyes on the road..I also put in a Y cable so i can have one for the satt radio and the other for the mp3 player....you cant have them both on for the aux input to work, the sound becomes subdued. I ll show pics later.

If you get the XM commander, its easy to install in the M3, but I would get a ram mount and mount the little head unit in the front of you, near the steering wheel, on teh left or right...letf is best, since the head unit ONLY has one wire lead, that can be easily tucked away.

As for the antenna, get the window mount, thats teh best...no need to put that ROUND spere on your cars paint....OUCH.

but the roady, the side install is the way to go...clean too...and the wires...are not in your way.

But no one answered my question on the BPM station, how is that compared with like Planet Dance on Sirius Radio?

Raffi
02-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Looks sharp (and I notice that reading comprehension is an issue with some folks ;P ).
:rofl:

Raffi
02-13-2004, 07:49 AM

Pinecone, I have the XM Commander. We installed it at TechSession X and the input is through the CD changer wiring in the trunk, through a Blitzsafe adapter. I really like it. Right now, the head unit is installed on a Pro-Fit VSM, but I'm probably going to put it in the ashtray this week-end - it is just too big to look good in plain sight. Also, I won't just be able to dremel out the ash tray, as the head unit is slightly bigger than the outside dimensions of the ash tray. Time to find some good foam to prevent rattling.

Pinecone
02-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I was driving the M3 today and looked possible mounting places (ash tray is already earmarked for ham radio head unit). The one that look interesting is the flat panel just to the rear of the Homelink trasmitter. I don't have a sunroof, so there is a pretty big flat place there, that just might work. Even for a SkyFi, but defaintely a Roady.

banc8004
03-15-2004, 03:27 PM
With help from posts here, I have -almost- hardwired my XM Delphi. I have a 99 so do not have an aux-input at the back of my radio.

I bought the FM modulation kit, and used that to hardwire my set up.

All was well - the glove box was removed and the fuses accessed just as advertised here.

My hang up point came when I puled the radio to see the antanna connections are not standard, so do not match the FM Modulators 'traditional' conectors.

Anyone crossed this before and solved it? I am loathe to cut te OEM radio antenna cable. Are there adaptors? Can I buy the BMW male and female antenna cable plugs to make up a cable?

Other ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Brian in Pa

wooldogg
06-02-2004, 08:35 AM
I just got the XM Delphi Roady and would like to 'hardwire' it as well (I'm using the FM Modulator right now.)

1. Will the Aux Input from the head unit work if I currently have the OEM CD changer in the trunk??

2. Where does one purchase the OEM aux-input jack/cabling???

3. Is it OK to still use the cigarette lighter as the power source??

Thanks...

photo2000a
06-02-2004, 09:25 AM
super looking install, i didn't even know someone made a glass mount sat antenna, i gotta check that out!

I realize i could be totally mistaken, but i seem to remember reading , i think here, perhaps another board, that the 3series even w/nav can use a XM radio and have it function/integrate with the bmw factory radio head or nav head (ie not via aux)

they seemed to say in the post it would work exactly as the sirius does

is that true??? i'd guess that would be a better way to add xm then say a aux/ and mounting a xm head

and i am in no way knocking your super lookn install!! love that smg

i was just really ciourious , i have sirus now, but if they go under or i want to switch i'd like to think all i have to do is switch box's and be able to maintain by head integration

ml

ZBB 325Ci
06-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Nice install that I just now saw... I just did a similar XM Roady install over the weekend in my car, including putting it in the same center console sliding cover box that replaces the cupholders.

I did do a couple things differently:
1) I have an '01, so no Aux-in is avail from BMW. I had previously put in a Blitzsafe adapter to allow Aux-in through the CD changer -- so that provides the audio-in. For reference, the audio cable runs from the Blitzsafe in the trunk, under the back seat, under the carpet on the transmission tunnel and into the center console.

2) For power, I tapped into the switched power avail in the cell-phone prewire. Inspired by the "Technical Reference" page of http://how.to/startac , I built an adapter that plugs into the 18-pin harness (it was my first-ever soldering/electronics project) that allowed me to wire up a lighter socket that now sits under the center console. I plugged the stock Roady power supply into this. Advantage is that I didn't have to cut into any wires on the car or on the Roady...

3) Antenna position is similar -- except that I have no wire exposed (I have Sand interior and the wire really stood out). I just butted the antenna up to the end of the plastic cover for the child-seat anchor. There is a depressed area on the rear parcel shelf there that the antenna doesn't fit into, but it does sit there OK with just two ends of the antenna in contact with the shelf (there is space under it in the middle. Antenna line goes into the trunk and then follows the Aux-in line under the rear seat and carpet to the center console.

I'll probably fiddle a little with this -- possibly add a 2nd lighter socket so I can also keep an iPod or phone charger hidden in the center console (I may put the 2nd socket in the back of the sliding cover box so I can swap power supplies).

Also thinking about hard-wiring in my Garmin iQue, but don't know where I'd put the iQue or how to control volume if I wired it in to the cell-phone speaker. We'll see...

ZBB