PDA

View Full Version : Help on scratches!

Nat Brown
04-12-2002, 10:56 PM
I found some scratches and marks on the hood and tried to remove them. I clayed, I tried 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and then I pulled out the big guns: McGuires Fine Cut Cleaner.

The cleaner removed the marks on the paint, but left tons of micro-scratches. This stuff is meant to be used with a buffer, but I used it by hand -- which has worked well in the past, but not so great this time.

From what I've read here, the only way to remove those scratches is to have it professionally buffed out. Does that sound about right?

My paint was nearly scratch free, so the scratched up area looks REALLY bad.

--gary

:cry:

Nat Brown
04-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Well, this was discovered during a regular wash and it's most likely road debris. Some of the scratches were surface scratches while a couple others are small but very deep.

I posted this on the Autopia board and they're recommending McGuires #9 Swirl Mark Remover. I'll be giving that a shot today.

I would have gotten away with my repair job on a silver car, but Jet Black is unforgiving.

--gary

jse
04-14-2002, 01:10 PM
I had some fine scratches on my Steel Gray Coupe. I used a paint cleaner soultion (mild abrasive) to buff out the scratches and then applied wax afterwards. Worked well.

The paint cleaner was from a local brand called Alaska. Its recomended for "restoring the shine to old oxcidised paint".

Best regards

JSE

Nat Brown
04-14-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by jse
The paint cleaner was from a local brand called Alaska. Its recomended for "restoring the shine to old oxcidised paint".

If you've ever seen cars in Alaska, you'll know they need help. It's the rock chip capitol of the world.

The McGuires #9 did wonders on my scratches. It took out most of the scratches and all of the hazing. I'm sure I could get rid of everything if I buffed for another hour, but it looks good. You can only see the scratches in the right lighting conditions.

I also bought McGuires Scratch X and a McGuires paint cleaner, but didn't get to use them. I followed it up with a couple coats of Zaino Z5. I'm wondering if I should re-do the hood, since part of the hood has 4 coats and part of it has 2 coats.

--gary