PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Removal from Back Seats

BlackIce
01-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Is there a DIY for removing the speaker(tweeters?) from the rear seats of a 2001 330CI? The tweeters that are located on the sides of the rear seats. Anyone have any information is appreciated!

TIA

doeboy
01-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Is there a DIY for removing the speaker(tweeters?) from the rear seats of a 2001 330CI? The tweeters that are located on the sides of the rear seats. Anyone have any information is appreciated!

TIA

You must remove the rear side panels to get at these speakers. It's quite involved. You have to pull out the rear seat, pull the rubber door trim, and possibly the pads where the seat belts usually rest on. Then you must undo the two screws under the armrests. Then pull.

There are procedures for doing this somewhere. I believe Fanatics has a writeup on how to do it too.

BlackIce
01-15-2004, 07:56 AM
That's pretty involved for removing a little tweeter! I tried to search but I havent come up with anything, the only thing I found is for the front doors. Anyone have this information, please point me to the right direction.

Thanks!

Dr. Phil
01-15-2004, 08:14 AM
That's pretty involved for removing a little tweeter! I tried to search but I havent come up with anything, the only thing I found is for the front doors. Anyone have this information, please point me to the right direction.

Thanks!
Why are you removing them? I left mine in place and just killed the signal to them. Using coax set up in the rear deck instead.

BlackIce
01-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Dr. Phil,

I already bought the component set for the rear, I may go coax setup route if it is a hassle. I have Dynaudio components for the front and rear and probably using JL Audio or Zapco amp. Do I need any special converter this setup? If so what kind of converter and where can I buy them.

Thanks!

Why are you removing them? I left mine in place and just killed the signal to them. Using coax set up in the rear deck instead.

doeboy
01-15-2004, 10:00 AM

Thanks!

Yup it is isn't it... I'm pretty sure Fanatics has this DIY. Look for interior trim swap instructions or something to that respect.

Dr. Phil
01-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Dr. Phil,

I already bought the component set for the rear, I may go coax setup route if it is a hassle. I have Dynaudio components for the front and rear and probably using JL Audio or Zapco amp. Do I need any special converter this setup? If so what kind of converter and where can I buy them.

Thanks!
With my Zapco amps, no convertor is needed if running OEM head unit. They use symlink wires (firewire type setup) and call for you to cut end off of factory leads and direct wire into cable that is fed to the amps. I read the specs and the installer suggested I use them since keeping OEM for now.

The ultimate decision for you should be driven on how much rear sound you want. Since I am only going for enough to fill in space, I opted to axis mount the tweeters and do coax :D

Kaz
01-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Not only am I planning on just disconnecting the rear tweeters, I'm just going to run the stock HK woofers for rear fill and cross them over at 2-4k. There's no need for high output or high frequencies from the back unless you're building a rear-seat system.

HW
01-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Not only am I planning on just disconnecting the rear tweeters, I'm just going to run the stock HK woofers for rear fill and cross them over at 2-4k. There's no need for high output or high frequencies from the back unless you're building a rear-seat system.

does that mean bmw (and others) only add rear tweets for marketing reasons to increase the speaker count? so my lowly 6 speaker system (and if i add a/some sub(s) would actually be more optimal?

Dr. Phil
01-15-2004, 01:32 PM
does that mean bmw (and others) only add rear tweets for marketing reasons to increase the speaker count? so my lowly 6 speaker system (and if i add a/some sub(s) would actually be more optimal?
It's all about personal preference. But you are correct, a higher number of speakers to some would be considering a marketing ploy. My best system, up to my current one in process, was simply a set of 2way components (6.5") and a single 12" sub...simple, properly staged and clear :thumbup:

Kaz
01-15-2004, 02:10 PM

The general public seems to want sound coming from the back. The non-audio-enthusiast people I know all have their car stereos faded toward the back. I don't understand why you want music coming from behind you. :dunno: This isn't multichannel audio (that's what DVD-A in the new Acuras is for). Many of the award-winning SQ cars in the competition circles don't run any speakers in the back at all.

Simpler is better. There are enough problems with audio in a car to begin with that I really don't see much point in making it more complex, unless you really are doing full interior analysis and custom EQ like some of the carmakers (and BLOSE) claim.

"Car Theater" or whatever it's being called is probably going to have some impact in changing this, but I don't understand the appeal of that, either.

HW
01-15-2004, 02:24 PM
The general public seems to want sound coming from the back. The non-audio-enthusiast people I know all have their car stereos faded toward the back. I don't understand why you want music coming from behind you. :dunno: This isn't multichannel audio (that's what DVD-A in the new Acuras is for). Many of the award-winning SQ cars in the competition circles don't run any speakers in the back at all.

Simpler is better. There are enough problems with audio in a car to begin with that I really don't see much point in making it more complex, unless you really are doing full interior analysis and custom EQ like some of the carmakers (and BLOSE) claim.

"Car Theater" or whatever it's being called is probably going to have some impact in changing this, but I don't understand the appeal of that, either.

my original integra only came w/ front speakers. i added some 6x9's in the rear that were much more efficient and better. annoyed the hell out of me because all the sound was coming from the back. don't know why anyone would have their faders biased to the back. :tsk: in the end, had to get new fronts to balance it out.

not into the car theatre thing but would be interested in installing my 533mhz celery box w/ itx? form factor in the car if it wasn't for issues w/ shutdowns and potential for harddrive head crashes. had to replace the (internal notebook size) hd once already because i messed it up. :mad: very OT, but i don't understand how those guys that install in-car PC's do proper powerdowns. :dunno:

Dr. Phil
01-15-2004, 04:53 PM

Some like the club sound...as in in the middle of the music. But front staging is the standard. I was very close to using no rear speakers but since my son rides with my occassionally, I wanted to have the ability to fade in some music for him.