PDA

View Full Version : adding coolant to my 2008 bmw 328i

Jahee Lee
12-03-2010, 09:14 AM
hi, i am trying to add coolant into the expansion tank and have some questions.
The Coolant Low sign has been coming up for about three days, would my engine be okay right now? because I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank, and there is no coolant left, I am afraid it might have caused some damage to engine although its been only three days. Also I would like to know if I put coolant into the expansion tank, it automatically goes into the radiator or not. Or Do I have to add coolant to radiator itself too?

Thanks for reading and give me some advices! thanks!

Jahee Lee
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
anyone can help me with this problem? help greatly appreciated!!

puff3456
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
As long as the over-heating warning (displaying orange then red depending on temperature) did not come on then you haven't actually over-heated the engine so I think everything would be ok. Granted something could still be wrong to have caused the low coolant situation such as a cooling system leak of some kind.

I am not sure about the refill procedure however.

Tom K.
12-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Since your car is under the covered maintenance warranty and takes a particular type of anti freeze, I'd take it to the dealer.

Tom

Jahee Lee
12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
thank you so much for your reply
Transmission overheating sign has never come up, so i guess there is some coolant left over in the radiator? Correct?

cali311soca
12-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Wait till your car is cold, safe bet is to do it in the morning before you crank your car. Remove your radiator cap (metal one towards front lip of bumper) and fill it through there.

E92Submarine
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
If you're going to do it yourself, make sure you have the right type of coolant. Put the wrong type of stuff in there and only bad things happen. Check your manual for the specific type.

Jahee Lee
12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Thank you for all the replies..
But Cali, I don't see the metal cap for radiator when i open the hood..
There is nothing that looks like a metal cap toward the front bumper..
Also, Can anybody tell me if coolant automatically goes into the radiator if itis poured into the expansion tank? Or Do I have actually have to pour some coolant into the radiator itself?

cali311soca
12-03-2010, 11:19 AM
My apologies, I gave you incorrect information. This is straight out of the BMW manual.

Checking coolant level
1. The engine must be at ambient temperature.
2. Turn the cap of the expansion tank a little counterclockwise to allow any accumulated pressure to escape, then continue turning to open.
3. The coolant level is correct if it is between the maximum and minimum marks in the filler neck, refer also to the diagram next to the filler neck.
4. If the coolant is low, slowly add coolant up to the specified level; do not overfill.
5. Turn the cap until there is an audible click.
6. Have the reason for the coolant loss eliminated as soon as possible.

cali311soca
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
And here's the picture out of the manual..

Haha, I've never changed my coolant before so I figured it was set up the same as every other car I've dealt with in the past.

Mynoles1
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Just added some to my own 2008 328i yesterday. All the advice given is perfect.

As you fill it (I suggest a small amount at a time), once the level gets up close to where it needs to be you will know as the "dipstick" (the orange fill-marker) will begin to rise up the fill column. You don't want it to come all the way out, that signifies full at "hot", but you will see the coolant and stick starting to rise (it affixes to a float at the bottom of the tank I believe). That is what you see on the diagram previously referenced and on the side of the tank. You are good to go at that point.

mawana
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
If you are adding coolant, you must have a leak somewhere right? Why don't you try and find it?

Bcube
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
And here's the picture out of the manual..

Haha, I've never changed my coolant before so I figured it was set up the same as every other car I've dealt with in the past.

Cali311, cut down on the Monsters! I limit myself to one a day.

I am glad you corrected yourself on the radiator cap - that is so last century. :)

Jahee Lee
12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Mawana, and everyone.. if there is no coolant in the expansion tank, does it mean that there is a leak? I thought the radiator consumes the coolant to cool down the engine.

mawana
12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Jahee Lee;5670306]Mawana, and everyone.. if there is no coolant in the expansion tank, does it mean that there is a leak? I thought the radiator consumes the coolant to cool down the engine.[/QUOTE

Adding coolant is the first line of defense! Coolant shouldn't be consumed, that's a sealed environment and there is really nowhere the coolant should go to other than being recycled unless there is a leak. Sometimes you can have a hairline leak which allows a very minute seepage that evaporates immediately that you won't notice there's a leak.

You are under warranty I suppose, take it to BMW for diagnosis. Initially, they will just add coolant and let you off but you will be back there before you know it.

Jahee Lee
12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank You! Mawana, I just added coolant mixed with distilled water and the sign doesn't come up, anymore, though I am still not sure if there is a leak or not, so I drove for about 15min and will check the coolant level tomorrow morning to see if the level changes by any chance. Also I am taking my car to the service center to find out the reason of coolant elimination. Thank you all for the help!!