PDA

View Full Version : Can idle be adjusted?

Robert A
12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Is there any way to adjust the idle without special equipment? This is for a 2007 530i.

bmw_n00b13
12-11-2010, 11:51 AM
It's controlled by the engine management software. The idle and the throttle are both computer controlled. I don't think you can change it without a software modification. Why do you want to change it?! If the idle is not correct there is a problem with the car that reprogramming really won't fix properly.

You've got an E60 for future posts, more targeted responses will be found there...though they're still working on getting more DIY stuff out there.

Robert A
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Thank you.

I realized I could have put it in the E60 forum, but I figured most every BMW built around that time would be the same.

I could take it in to a dealer (or my independent). It's the time element (drop off and pick up). It's not out of spec, just 100 rpm or so higher than my liking.

Fast Bob
12-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you.

I realized I could have put it in the E60 forum, but I figured most every BMW built around that time would be the same.

I could take it in to a dealer (or my independent). It's the time element (drop off and pick up). It's not out of spec, just 100 rpm or so higher than my liking.

How about when the AC compressor is engaged ?

Seriously, I would *not* dick around with it for a lousy hundred RPM....

Robert A
12-11-2010, 08:12 PM
same idle, a/c on or off.

Originally, it was idling too low with the a/c on. Dealer bumped the a/c-on idle, but inadvertently lowered the a/c-off idle. On second visit, that was rectified. But now, it's idling just high enough to feel a bit annoying

Dealer is great, but they're 25 miles away and I don't want to go back for such a small matter. I could wait until the next service, but this was the 4 year mark, and future servicing will probably be handled via an independent.

How about when the AC compressor is engaged ?

Seriously, I would *not* dick around with it for a lousy hundred RPM....