PDA

View Full Version : BMW would race NASCAR if fuel injection adopted?

tim330i
12-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Real Car Guys are reporting on the latest state of NASCAR. Once again NASCAR is struggling to use anything remotely high tech in their left-turn-mobiles. How long will the stay in the stone age of motor racing when big names like BMW and Honda are putting pressure on them.

If NASCAR gives in and ads fuel injection who wants to see a 'car of tomorrow' (NASCARs latest spec chassis) with roundels on it?

Most people would say it’s about time NASCAR adopted fuel injection. After all, the only four-wheel vehicle you can buy with a carb has a Toro or John Deere nameplate. Yet sources say BMW and Honda won’t come to NASCAR with carburetors.

What’s the hang up guys? Many other racing series have had fuelies for years. Are the BMW and Honda rumors, pardon the pun, fueling the fire?

Read more - http://www.realcarguys.com/post/NASCAR-Fuel-Injection.aspx

cwinter
12-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Oh gawd...FWD, NASCAR, SUV Ms, Ms that aren't really Ms.

It's all going downhill...

Campfamily
12-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm having nightmares of a 5 series running down the street with a big 48 painted on the door. Dale Sr is probably turning in his grave right now......

On the other hand, if NASCAR became something closer to European Touring Car......that would be sweet!!!

Tangent
12-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Why bother with nascar even if they add fuel injection? Short of maybe some aspects of teh engine design and the roundel, not a thing on the car would even vaguely resemble a roadgoing BMW.

Being closer to European Touring Car would be an improvement, but I'd love to see it more like Australian V8 Supercars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpEp3janpEU

woody underwood
12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
That's my old joke: "BMW wants to race NASCAR, but the only push-rod V8 w/carb they had was made in 1939".

Killjoy
12-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I hope not. NASCAR is the epitome of
http://www.mrtees.com/images/Nascar-Boring.gif

ProMed12
12-17-2010, 03:17 AM
VW is in preparations to join NASCAR.

dpritchett
12-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm having nightmares of a 5 series running down the street with a big 48 painted on the door. Dale Sr is probably turning in his grave right now......

On the other hand, if NASCAR became something closer to European Touring Car......that would be sweet!!!

Well BMW is going to DTM (leaving WTCC with factory sponsored cars), and there is a rumor that some DTM races will be held in the US in 2012.

With the COT specs in NASCAR, the only real difference between a Toyota and a Ford is the logo on the bodywork.

allwheelsdriven
12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Its not their target demographic

Killjoy
12-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Well BMW is going to DTM (leaving WTCC with factory sponsored cars), and there is a rumor that some DTM races will be held in the US in 2012.

With the COT specs in NASCAR, the only real difference between a Toyota and a Ford is the logo on the bodywork.

If DTM races go down in the US, I'm going to have a sheer-excitement induced heart attack.