PDA

View Full Version : Steering Fluid resevoir leaks......... seam failure

Tominizer
01-19-2004, 09:55 AM
My steering fluid is leaking and my mechanic says that he's seen quite a few X5's with this problem. Apparently the seam on the fluid resevoir cracks and leaks. Anyone else had this issue at all ?!?!?!??! My level was down about an inch.

I talked to the Stealership this morning about it. The Service guys response was that he'd never seen anything like this before and he certainly has seen a lot more X5 then any private mechanic could ever have seen............... :confused: I told him that I had to top up the resevoir and that my mechanic found signs of leaking on the bottom of the resevoir. The BMW service rep insisted that they found nothing leaking, that it was dry and that it was normal for the fluid level to fluctuate. :confused: A whole inch !??!?!?

SupraRZ
02-05-2004, 06:44 PM
It's not really a dealer trait to say "Yeah man, we had 12 X5's who came in with the same problem today!" it'll just make you feel bad :)

quattro29
02-06-2004, 07:08 AM
My steering fluid is leaking and my mechanic says that he's seen quite a few X5's with this problem. Apparently the seam on the fluid resevoir cracks and leaks. Anyone else had this issue at all ?!?!?!??! My level was down about an inch.

I talked to the Stealership this morning about it. The Service guys response was that he'd never seen anything like this before and he certainly has seen a lot more X5 then any private mechanic could ever have seen............... :confused: I told him that I had to top up the resevoir and that my mechanic found signs of leaking on the bottom of the resevoir. The BMW service rep insisted that they found nothing leaking, that it was dry and that it was normal for the fluid level to fluctuate. :confused: A whole inch !??!?!?

I've had the same problem with the coolant reservoir a couple of times. My dealer admits they are problematic though :)

I haven't had the same problem, yet, with the steering fluid one...

SASTUD
02-23-2004, 06:43 AM

after 3 years w/ bmw dealership i can't think of one reservoir tank leaking. you probably have a leaking supply or return line. fyi