PDA

View Full Version : BMWs and winter

BMWS441
12-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Ight guys. I'm a bimmer guy too but they aren't good for the ice and snow considering most r rwd. I've seen so many people that are trying to show off or think there invincible bc the cars are amazing at everything else and spin off the road or go into a ditch while the awd cars laugh or help pull them out or up the hill. Just slow down! And let the computers do the work. Unless u have a x5 x3 or xi that is. Even I got stuck going up a hill in the ice in the 740... lol. Just stop making us look bad! :p And I wish my car was awd!

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp

dalekressin
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
+1 My 330XI is very handy.

jatbeni
12-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Tires help a lot - so a good winter set may be imperative.

Nonetheless, it behooves us to be more careful and conservative drivers, when the weather heads south. No point making a fool of ourselves, and our lot.

JimD1
12-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Around here on the few times it snows (about every 5 years) I see all sorts of cars in the ditch. FWD as well as RWD. It makes a lot more difference if you know what you are doing than the type of car you drive. I have owned FWD, RWD and 4 wheel drive. For most of my life I lived where there was snow on the ground regularly. I do not get stuck or slide off the road regardless of what I drive.

Jim

fredderf4444
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I have to admit, that is one of the biggest reasons that I was drawn to buy my BMW (my first). Its a 525xi and I just got a new set of DWSs and actually am looking forward to a little snow. See how this bad boy does in the snow :rofl:

S93D
12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
RWD BMWs are not the best for snow. However, with good tires, this can compensate fairly well. Everything is relative. AWD with a front bias, the best tires, and some other design factors can make a great winter car. Having some of those can still make a decent car.

Elias
12-17-2010, 03:48 PM
The OP comes from Ga they don't experience any type of winters like we get up here in the north, here you better know how to drive in the snow awd or not. Down in Ga you get teased with a little snow here and there and they're flipping vehicles and running into ditches.:rofl:

BMWS441
12-17-2010, 07:57 PM
The OP comes from Ga they don't experience any type of winters like we get up here in the north, here you better know how to drive in the snow awd or not. Down in Ga you get teased with a little snow here and there and they're flipping vehicles and running into ditches.:rofl:

Yup. Thats where I am. And BMW drivers here get the idea in their head that its a good car for the snow and that's what happens. Of course that's not everyone...

gtxragtop
12-18-2010, 02:32 AM
My first car was a 63 Dodge Polara RWD with a 335HP 383 cubic inch engine with posi-traction. Tires were bias ply.
2'nd car was a 70 Plymouth Road Runner 383 four speed with posi-traction. Tires were bias ply.
Next 7 cars were all RWD. You could buy snows, but I never did. Tire traction sucked compared to today's tires.
Many a time I headed up to North Conway NH in a snow storm to enjoy the fresh snow on the mountains.
Never got stuck, never ran off the road. It all comes down to driving skills. Sure AWD will get you going and keep
you going in slippery conditions compared to RWD and FWD, but it does nothing for stopping or turning quicker.
My 530 is RWD open diff and with the 225-55-16 snows, it is wonderful. Last year I was at a west coast CA. company
gathering. At some point the subject came up on driving in the snow and skidding and how does one handle this.
I replied, well you steer in the direction of the skid to regain control. To my shock 6 different co-workers could not
understand why you would ever do that. At first I thought they were kidding. Nope, they had no clue and were never
taught that skill. Scary thought.

Bremen Ben
12-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Here in the snow belt, I have seen a fair share of SUV's in the ditch during winter. FWD, RWD, 4WD, or AWD won't make a different if it's driven by a careless or inexperienced person; the biggest mistake a driver can make is to get over confident in snow condition simply because he/she is in a 4WD.

One time driving in a snowing night I saw a Grand Cherokee slide across the 4 lanes expressway from the far left to the right, then tumble down the ditch. All thess took place no more than 20 feet in front of me; I could have been hit dead on had I driven any faster than I did. The girl in that Grand Cherokee was obviously trying to speed up and cut into the front of the offramp traffic (which is where I was in) from the inner lane; this happens all the time because people don't have the patience to slow down and get in line behind others for the offramp. But what may be ok during a nice summer day is definitely a big no-no during a snow blowing night.

Inline Sixer
12-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Ight guys. I'm a bimmer guy too but they aren't good for the ice and snow considering most r rwd. I've seen so many people that are trying to show off or think there invincible bc the cars are amazing at everything else and spin off the road or go into a ditch while the awd cars laugh or help pull them out or up the hill. Just slow down! And let the computers do the work. Unless u have a x5 x3 or xi that is. Even I got stuck going up a hill in the ice in the 740... lol. Just stop making us look bad! :p And I wish my car was awd!

AWD will improve traction a bit, but it won't improve stopping ability -- which in most cases, is the most important part of winter driving.

Overall, how well a car does in winter has little to do with the car itself, but more to do with the tires.

Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuhfwY74b8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

tmoftw
12-18-2010, 05:40 PM
agreed on the tires making most of the dif, went from khumos to blizzaks it was like going from riding on rims to rails. also just a thought who hear prefers abs or prefers regular braking? personally i cant stand abs 90% of the time and just de-fuse it, id rather be in control and have a feel for the road rather than put the brake to the floor and hope the cars stops where i need it to.(i know theres more to it than that but im summing up the majority of how drivers use abs)

efex101
12-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I am in MN and we have snow/ice about daily and have had no problems.